cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Who else has a drastic drop in their sales??????

I just saw the quarterly report who is up 3000 from 2019? Why are we using the numbers from 2019 to compare ? Is that because the numbers were so good during the so called pandemic years and they don't dare use those numbers I am over 15,000 dollars down for the year and I have ran sale and free shipping all year long. I have tracked my numbers from years past I have been on here for 19 years and this is the worst ever. Please tell me it is not just me and I have things across 5 other platforms just trying to move items out. Now that I had to go back to work outside of the house to help since everything is skyrocketing with no end in sight. 

Message 1 of 80
latest reply
79 REPLIES 79

Re: Who else has a drastic drop in their sales??????

I'm up 235.5% over last year, ytd. I suspect since i didn't start selling on here until last september, that number doesn't mean much.

Message 46 of 80
latest reply

This is the first time in YEARS that I am looking at shutting it down since I have made so little that my bills are not even covered. I have more inventory than ever, better stuff and sales are worse than when I first started getting established.

Something needs to change, this feels like eBay purposefully trying to freeze out anyone not paying for Promoted Listings Advanced.

Message 47 of 80
latest reply

I was just looking at Promoted Listings Advanced and Ad campaigns, what a racket. Now, they are asking people to pay for Keyword Groups and Click through's on advanced promotions via keyword bidding? No wonder the Search engine is so skewed. Not only are we paying a higher FVF, which includes the shipping AND taxes, but we pay a .30 Insertion fee, and yes I use Promoted basic from time to time, but now they have this completely skewed Ad Campaign and Promoted Listing advanced giving other sellers more advantage then others, when in the past they cancelled the tools my Start Up created because it created an unfair advantage. So they are doing exactly what we did to help sellers accelerate sale, improve their STR and ROI, but THEY are making the money. I guess it's their Sandbox but maybe it's time to look for another venue with a more level playing field. If I had items making huge profits I could afford to bid on keywords or pay for Click Throughs.

Unbelievable. what happened to good old SEO, creating good listings using good keywords, etc. I could write a title having NOTHING TO DO with the item I am selling using ONE keyword, have that same KEYWORD in my description, and bid higher than ANYONE ELSE on that ONE KEYWORD and have my listings show up first ALL THE TIME. Is anyone on here understanding what I am saying? Wow, just wow. The very thing they called foul on so many years ago they are doing themselves. I know Scott Samuel and Bill Bogardus know what I am talking about.

Message 48 of 80
latest reply

It's a racket for sure. The developers, the brains, the brass of eBay know what's good for everyone. They can do no wrong and all of their updates and changes are flawless. Their investors are happy with everything they decide as well. Everything's is as it should be.

Message 49 of 80
latest reply

same situation as has been, sales continue to drop, if ebay would stop fiddling with things like PLs and site they would be fine. 

The great truth is there isn't one
And it only gets worse since that conclusion...
...There is something about the rigid posture of a proper, authentic blind
As if extended arms reached to pass his blindness onto others.
Message 50 of 80
latest reply

Wow, well I have seen a moderate spike now, but I made a lot of adjustments.  That's great though.

Message 51 of 80
latest reply

Chinabay

That's all I'm gonna say..

Message 52 of 80
latest reply

I looked at your stuff and there is nothing wrong with it looks like good stuff to me. 

Message 53 of 80
latest reply

Day 3 no sales, drop in views, zero views, bah humbug...all the updates etc truly needs to stop.

Message 54 of 80
latest reply

I opened my first eBay account in 2000 selling books, collectibles, and crafts - which I split into three accounts in 2017.     My husband opened an account in 2008 for guy stuff - mostly barware and sports collectibles which I took over in 2013.   Since I don't sell much in the way of clothing or new merchandise that can be found in a retail store, I have a different perspective of why my sales have tanked in 2022 unlike any of the previous 21 years.

1.  I've always sold mainly things that people don't need and some things that only a few may want. That is not to say I am selling the same type of items I did 10 or 20 years ago because I am not.

2. I have no clue about "category sell thru rates".    I doubt that eBay does either.  Besides, eBay's categories have continually changed thru the years.

3. My prices are not high.  I research the competition before deciding to list any item and tend to list on the lower end, but not the lowest since I take condition into consideration.   

4. I have never found ebay tools all that valuable.  My terms of sale have never changed, and I keep my own statistics.   eBay should be the engine for driving traffic - isn't that what we pay them for??

5. I've consistently listed 5-10 items per account daily.  I do not allow items to automatically re-list.

6. I no longer have an "everything" store - closed both my ebay stores back in 2017 with no loss of sales until 2022.   I now sell different types of items on each of my accounts. 

7. "Success" has no interest for me nor do I need what I make on eBay to pay my bills.  I am a recycler - finding new homes for things no longer wanted or needed by their previous owners.  And I had a very "successful" brick and mortar thrift store before I even started selling on eBay, and was a flea market merchant before that. 

As others have pointed out ebay's search has been broken by all the changes made over the past 18 months - it is now increasingly manipulated to favor some sellers over others - and certain higher priced items above all others.   Sales have fallen off dramatically for many long time sellers simply because they aren't adding enough money to ebay's coffers or selling "favored" items.   ebay management no longer has much interest in unique or vintage items which made it different from other online marketplaces. 

The economy has had far less impact on ebay than increased shipping costs and stupid management decisions by ebay's revolving door brass. 

Message 55 of 80
latest reply

I should add that all my accounts are currently closed as of today for the holidays as they are every December so I doubt that any listings can be viewed.

Message 56 of 80
latest reply

I am soooo tired of trying to make things work on eBay.  Luckily I'm doing quite well on my other venues, which is a statement in itself about eBay.

I haven't posted much for the last couple of weeks because I read something, somewhere that eBay programmers and software developers can and will target people if their opinions put them in a bad light. How tacky is that?  Anyway, I hope it isn't true.  That means I am probably totally scrooged for my not so flattering comments.

This is the worst holiday season I've had in 15 years on eBay.  I'm so glad I don't have all my eggs in the eBay basket.  They seem to break a lot of eggs these days.

Message 57 of 80
latest reply

I posted this same thing a couple months ago and I still believe it to be the case:

Been Selling here for quite a while and somethings are always the same. It has always seemed like approx three months before the media starts saying the economy is tanking, eBay sales drop off. So this is nothing more than a 2023 start of a bad year in the economy in general. Interest rates climbing, Home prices coming down, cost of living going up etc. etc.. Don't panic and just take it a day at a time. You can only do what you can. To worry about what you can't control will always lead to ulcers. If you look in the mirror at the end of the day and say you did your best, what more can you do. Remember the one person you can't lie too is the one looking back at you in that mirror. Just list more and when it bounces back you will reap the rewards. In all forms of sales, you aren't always paid for your work at the time you do it. But if you just keep plugging away, you will get paid in the end.

Message 58 of 80
latest reply

99% of us have. Not to worry, eBay is throwing parties for people who spend $6000 a year on sneakers. And they have Click (or is it Clack?) advertising eBay Motors. 

Message 59 of 80
latest reply

What affects niche sellers like the trading card community does not necessarily apply to sellers of a broader range of items.    I have been here through economic downfalls like the recession of 2007-9 without any significant fall off of my annual ebay sales.   2022 has been vastly different, and I'm not buying it is due to the economy - it's far more about search manipulation by ebay.  I have zero expectation that things will "bounce back" unless ebay ditches the changes they have made to the search algorithm. 

Many sellers are leaving ebay altogether or expanding to multiple sites which may benefit some of the sellers that remain, but not ebay's declining GMV  or buyer base.  However, unlike their sellers ebay will profit from the January postal increases.

Good luck to those who are willing to spend more time or pay ebay more in hopes of a few sales thrown their way.  Doing the best YOU can is cold comfort when ebay is not doing the same. 

Message 60 of 80
latest reply