cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When someone writes to ask a question for which the answer is clearly stated in your listing

....do you just reply the answer, or do you tell them it's in the listing?  

Let's say it's something you know without having to look it up in the listing yourself, and it would require the exact same number of keystrokes to answer as 'It's stated in the listing.'  (LOL).  

What's your philosophy on this?  

Message 1 of 48
latest reply
47 REPLIES 47

Re: When someone writes to ask a question for which the answer is clearly stated in your listing

"Rarely do people who ask questions purchase the item." --Yes, THAT. I was going to say that in my original post, but thought I would rather leave the question completely open-ended. But yes, that is what I've noticed too, so each new question feels like, "THIS again" and probably for nothing.
Message 16 of 48
latest reply

Re: When someone writes to ask a question for which the answer is clearly stated in your listing

"Please take a moment to read the listing..."

Message 17 of 48
latest reply

Copy/paste the info from the listing and thank them for checking out my store.

More than once I've gotten a red-faced email back saying "Oh geez, it's right there!" - people miss stuff.

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 18 of 48
latest reply

I just answer politely - usually word for word from my listing.

Smoke From A Distant Fire - Sanford Townsend Band
Message 19 of 48
latest reply

Yea same here. There's really only two reasons I tell them to refer to the listing.

1) shipping details. I also give a short explanation of it while telling them the details are in the shipping section.. in regards to combined and expedited services and ETAs. Since those can change depending on when they buy.

2) Sizes. I tell them to refer to my size charts in the listing. Because oftentimes I don't know what size they are looking for and I'm not about to create a back and forth convo. And I'm also not going to type out my lengthy size chart to them... it looks much cleaner and easier to follow within a chart table (in my listing) and not just a bunch of letters and numbers within an eBay message.

Message 20 of 48
latest reply

@gurlcat wrote:
"Rarely do people who ask questions purchase the item." --Yes, THAT. I was going to say that in my original post, but thought I would rather leave the question completely open-ended. But yes, that is what I've noticed too, so each new question feels like, "THIS again" and probably for nothing.

Well I've heard that there are a number of big retailer company sellers here that never answer their eBay messages. And apparently they are still selling strong. Makes you think huh.

Message 21 of 48
latest reply

We would have to see the listing and the buyer's question. Sometimes what you "think' is nonsense actually is not. Many sellers write bad descriptions and the flaws they list are not a 100% accurate or at least vague. A buyer asking something you say is already in the description wants to verify what you say is true.

Message 22 of 48
latest reply

Alas!  You can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink.  Same goes for buyers to listings. You can't make them read.

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 23 of 48
latest reply

@iart wrote:

To mark as answered... Not sure how your screen looks but we go to our main ebay page , on the left under the LISTINGS and Active Listings, you see "with questions", click on that and you should get an option to marks as answered.

I just followed your instructions and I see the option. But AW MAN!! I don't see an option to select multiple listings and mark then all as answered in bulk. It has to be done one at a time, huh. I have over 200 of these darn things. And I always answer my messages... ones that require an answer to. And plus, each time you click "mark as answered" the entire page reloads and re-populates the results. This'll take forever.

Whoa, so I got over 200 pointless messages from buyers. I guess from now on I should answer "You're welcome" for every buyer message that just says "Thanks." Talk about always needing to have the last word.

Message 24 of 48
latest reply

It annoys me, but I’d still rather make the sale so I answer.

Plus, the phone app also hides a bunch of this info.

Message 25 of 48
latest reply

@gurlcat wrote:

....do you just reply the answer, or do you tell them it's in the listing?  

Let's say it's something you know without having to look it up in the listing yourself, and it would require the exact same number of keystrokes to answer as 'It's stated in the listing.'  (LOL).  

What's your philosophy on this?  

My philosophy is to answer their question politely. 

I have been here for almost 20 years as a buyer and sellers, and I still occassionally ask a question and discover later than the answer was already in the listing. 

I guess my approach is informed by the fact that I know what it is like to be treated rudely by sellers when this happens. 

Message 26 of 48
latest reply

A lot of sellers do find that irritating.

But, given the current eBay climate, it seems like the best idea is to tamp down your irritation and just answer the question politely.  

Asked:  What color is this shirt?

Answer:  It's a very nice dark gray and I am sure it would look stunning on you.

Message 27 of 48
latest reply

@soh.maryl wrote:

A lot of sellers do find that irritating.

But, given the current eBay climate, it seems like the best idea is to tamp down your irritation and just answer the question politely.  

Asked:  What color is this shirt?

Answer:  It's a very nice dark gray and I am sure it would look stunning on you.

Can they file a SNAD if it doesn't look stunning? LOL

C.

Message 28 of 48
latest reply

I always answer any questions and it has led to many sales. I think that pointing out that the information is already in the description will probably embarrass a potential customer. Most of my items include a disclaimer that says I have similar items, please message if you need something a little different and I always try to follow up on that or even point a potential buyer towards another seller if I don't have what they need. 

Message 29 of 48
latest reply

I just answer the question politely. Usually there's a picture in my mind of me in a store asking an employee where x, y, or z is and he raises his finger and points to the display right in front of my now red face (the bigger the item the deeper the red).

Message 30 of 48
latest reply