cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When someone writes to ask a question for which the answer is clearly stated in your listing

....do you just reply the answer, or do you tell them it's in the listing?  

Let's say it's something you know without having to look it up in the listing yourself, and it would require the exact same number of keystrokes to answer as 'It's stated in the listing.'  (LOL).  

What's your philosophy on this?  

Message 1 of 48
latest reply
47 REPLIES 47

When someone writes to ask a question for which the answer is clearly stated in your listing

Don't you just HATE that??? I always want to answer that the information is in the listing. But ….. Just remind yourself that not everyone reads or can read the description for the details.
Put on your professional looking demeanor and answer the question as asked.
Message 2 of 48
latest reply

I usually say, " As I have mentioned in my listing......." and then answer the question professionally.

I hope answering this way will encourage people to read before asking questions. 

Message 3 of 48
latest reply

Buyers don't read descriptions (and sometimes even titles). Also I figure it's the buyer's way of selling "hello" and making sure someone is on the other end. Might as well "hello" back with an answer that doesn't involve them to do any leg work.

Maybe it's a way for the buyer to vet the seller. I.e. if the seller responds with very bad broken English, they may pass on the purchase thinking the seller is actually overseas.

Message 4 of 48
latest reply

@gurlcat 

My standard response to questions whether the answer is in the listing or not.

Dear Buyer,

Thank you for your interest in xyz. 

Answer question.

Please let me know if you have any other questions or if I may be of further assistance. 

Sincerely,

Seller Name

Message 5 of 48
latest reply

"Hi there,

Thanks for your question.

As stated in the listing, blah, blah, blah, etc., etc., etc.

If you need anything else, just let me know.

Take care,

Me"

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 6 of 48
latest reply

I answer the question asked. If they keep asking questions I ignore and block after third question at that point I feel they want a pen pal.

Message 7 of 48
latest reply

@gurlcat wrote:

Let's say it's something you know without having to look it up in the listing yourself, and it would require the exact same number of keystrokes to answer as 'It's stated in the listing.'  (LOL).  

Depends upon the day, the item, and the questioner.

First thing I generally do is to go look at the listing to see if there is some glaring reason why someone might have to ask that question.

Response can vary.

I do not just say "read the listing", or "that info is in the listing". Reason being that can come off like an admonishment for them not having done that. They may be insulted. They may not be getting the photos, or text for some reason.

I may respond with the information they were asking about, and as others wrote, to just ask, if the have any more questions, or need more info.

I end with "thanks for checking"

I may not respond, and just fill a vacant spot on my BBL.

Message 8 of 48
latest reply

@gurlcat wrote:

If you are going to respond at all, then answer the question. You may answer a thousand questions but they may have asked only one, and as you said,  it "requires the exact same number of keystrokes to answer" so make the sale because you are a sales person.

-------------
Posting ID
Message 9 of 48
latest reply

I always just answer the question and be polite.  I think 25 years of teaching high school and saying the same thing over, and over, and over, AND it's written on the board......has prepared me well.  🙂

Message 10 of 48
latest reply

We just got this note about a $15 item. Most of the info is in the description.

I'm interested in your book. Is it a guide book? Or more of a book of photographs?
Would you be so kind to provide the measurements of the book,
the number of pages,
the number of photographs,
and are most photos in color or most in B & W?
Is the dust jacket included?
And is there damage to the binding?
Are there any torn pages or marks on the page?
Thank you for your effort and response,

We didn't spend an hour pulling the item out and answering all the questions. We kinda like making minimum wage level at least. We blocked and marked as answered.

Message 11 of 48
latest reply

I'm convinced almost all these questions are from individuals using phones and not regular computers. Phones almost always require extra clicks to see the description so do not do so. This really should be corrected by Ebay but reps have told me that this saves space for more listings on Ebay. Whether this is true is not known but it is true about the phone problem.

I'm polite and tell them I assume they are using a phone and it is the description if they continue to look for for it and then do answer the question to make it easy for them. Rarely do people who ask questions purchase the item.

Message 12 of 48
latest reply

Yea I would block that buyer too. It's not worth my time for someone who's just kicking the tires... or even if they end up buying it. It sounds like potential high maintenance.

How do you mark a question as "answered"? I know how to mark it as "read" though, but not "answered".

Message 13 of 48
latest reply

Yeah, we preempt any buyer we suspect might be a problem. Life is too short and working ebay is too hard.

To mark as answered... Not sure how your screen looks but we go to our main ebay page , on the left under the LISTINGS and Active Listings, you see "with questions", click on that and you should get an option to marks as answered.

I think ebay diminishes your exposure if you don't either answer questions fast or mark them as answered.

Good luck!

@bigdeals.etc wrote:

Yea I would block that buyer too. It's not worth my time for someone who's just kicking the tires... or even if they end up buying it. It sounds like potential high maintenance.

How do you mark a question as "answered"? I know how to mark it as "read" though, but not "answered".

Message 14 of 48
latest reply

@gurlcat wrote:

They key to success is good customer services which means you answer questions even when they are in the listing. (yes, yes, I know people block buyers who do this), but I find in my genre people are asking to make sure they are "reading this right" and that I didn't copy something into some 30 odd listings without proof reading. I would never tell someone it's in the listing. The only time I tell people it's in the listing is when they complain about my shipping policies, I tell them the policy, and then state (it's in my listing, which says...)

C.

Message 15 of 48
latest reply