cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What kind of protection are sellers offered from scammers?

I  am selling an expensive item to which I believe I'm being scammed.   

First buyer was listed as living in the Ukraine, wanted it shipped to Maryland and the PP account was listed to a woman with the same last name as the Ukrainian buyer. I refunded their money citing the descrepencies. They later messaged me asking why I refunded the money and I gave them the same reason to which I got no reply.

Now a few hours after relisting someone with a brand new account has purchased the item which makes me believe its the same user who is likely running some type of shipping ring.   Im not sure if Ill be penalized for doing the same again or what Ebay can do if I ship it out and something happens to the funds. When I sold a laptop on Ebay in 2011, Paypal immediately siezed the funds and advised me to not ship the item as a scam that involves depositing a more than the buyer was asking for and later retracting the funds

Message 1 of 30
latest reply
29 REPLIES 29

You do know that the Ukraine buyer was using a forwarding service right? If you don't ship internationally, thats the only way international buyers can buy from you.

You do know that all accounts start with 0 feedback and people join just to buy here right? Even if its the Ukraine buyer, you have to ship to them. Cancelling is doing you more harm than good. Ebay won't enforce the circumvention policy unless the buyer tries causing harm after the sale.

Have you even read the seller protection policy?

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 2 of 30
latest reply

This is for the Spy Hawk? Are you sure that was not a shipping forwarding service in Maryland? You are then only responsible for getting the item safely to the Maryland address. Once the pkg leaves this country, the buyer loses buyer protection. Unless they file a snad complaint. I dont know what option you used to cancel the transaction, if it was not a problem with buyers address, or at buyers request, you got a serious defect..a couple more oos cancellations and you will be out of business permanently on ebay.

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Message 3 of 30
latest reply

The Ukraine buyer didnt use a fowarding service. They wanted it shipped to someone named Robert in Maryland using a residential address.

Message 4 of 30
latest reply

I also made the listing to be purchasable in North America only.

Message 5 of 30
latest reply

The Maryland address was not an option on their payment page? They may have wanted it shipped to a relative and the relative forwards it to them in the Ukraine, you are still only responsible for sending it safely to the Maryland address..What option did you use for cancelling the transaction? Hopefully it was a problem with buyers address...

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Message 6 of 30
latest reply

If you use Auction:

• you can look at each bidder and cancel any bids you feel uncomfortable with.

With either Auction of Fixed Price:

• You can add any member to your Blocked Bidder List.
  • You can Block entire countries and actually entire continents.
  • You can Block bidders who do not have active Paypal accounts.
  • You can opt not to accept payment from non-US Paypal accounts.****
  • You can Block bidders with two or more Strikes for non-payment.

If you use Fixed Price:

• You can use Immediate Payment Required, and the listing stays active until someone pays.

After purchase:

• You can cancel a transaction using Problem With Address, if there is one. (If you don't ship internationally, this is the reason to use, even if the buyer uses a Freight Forwarding service.
  • You can opt to use eBay's Global Shipping Program(spit spit spit*) and your responsibility for delivery ends at the doorstep of the GSP plant in Kentucky. **
  • You can use Delivery Confirmation.
  • You can use Signature Confirmation which requires that the carrier get a real human to sign for the item***
  • You can pack your item to withstand dropping two feet and having a 50 lb package land on top of it.

There are probably more that I have forgotten.

The point is though, that YOU have to take responsibility for your listing, your packaging and your shipping.

You are expected to be adult about your responsibilities and to know how to handle customer problems.

*I'm Canadian, and we universally detest the GSP.

**Not a Protection, but you use only Domestic shipping rates with this, not the much higher international.

*** This is mandatory on item valued over $650USD including postage in case of a Dispute.

**** There is a slightly higher fee for processing non-US PP accounts, so some sellers who are happy to ship overseas, refuse such transactions on the basis of cost. YMMV

Message 7 of 30
latest reply

Ill ship it out to this new buyer as long as I get my money. The profile listed an address in the Ukraine, but buyers note asked me not to include an invoice and requested I send it to Maryland. Also used very gentlemanly/courteous language reminiscent of those "wealthy nigerian prince" schemes. 

Message 8 of 30
latest reply

What you should do is ship to the PayPal address. Don't just take the buyer's word for where to ship.

Message 9 of 30
latest reply

Ideally the time to determine your risk tolerance is prior to listing the item.  Selling on ebay isn't for everyone, altho most sales go off without a hitch.  You have sold your item twice now, which is awesome,  yet you have been uncomfortable with both sales. Sadly, there is no foolproof method of selling here to make the transaction 100% trouble-free. There is a level of risk in ecommerce and there are ways to mitigate it, as mentioned by another poster who listed several good actions to take. However, ultimately, there are no guarantees for the seller. Good luck to you in whatever you decide.

Message 10 of 30
latest reply

Ive only sold on here twice before. First a laptop in 2011 where the buyer first tried to negotiate a money order payment, then panicked when I declined and triggered paypal when they dumped 500 in my account. I was only asking 200. Next was 2015 which I ate money due to selecting the wrong shipping method, just a silicone intake elbow. Now this. If I cant unload it on CL then I come here. Higher the value, larger chance of getting schemed it seems.

Message 11 of 30
latest reply

If you don't ship internationally, thats the only way international buyers can buy from you.

If I do not ship Internationally that does not mean a buyer can do an end run around it.
It should mean you have to live in the US.

Or paypal needs to catch up with ebay that once it leaves the reshipper, it cannot be returned for any reason.
Message 12 of 30
latest reply

@harcoregamer518 wrote:

I also made the listing to be purchasable in North America only.

You cannot restrict purchases based on where a buyer lives - you can only restrict purchases base on where the buyer wants it shipped. And that buyer gave you a North American address in keeping with your restrictions.  

Message 13 of 30
latest reply

@emerald40 wrote:
If you don't ship internationally, thats the only way international buyers can buy from you.

If I do not ship Internationally that does not mean a buyer can do an end run around it.
It should mean you have to live in the US.

Or paypal needs to catch up with ebay that once it leaves the reshipper, it cannot be returned for any reason.

I agree, PayPal needs to change their policy BUT I really don’t foresee that happening because they are the payment processor and they have more to lose than eBay does. But didn’t we get confirmation from the blues that sellers CAN legitimately cancel using “problem with buyers address” when an international buyer uses a freight forwarded? Or maybe I dreamed that. Plus blockic international payments in your PayPal account also helps block these buyers.

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 14 of 30
latest reply

I definitely have the  non US paypal accounts and foreign currency blocks in place.

With items staying in the US at least you have some ability to act if buyer turns out to be a scammer.

Message 15 of 30
latest reply