cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the point of leaving feedback on ebay if negative feedback is redacted?

I bought a dress for my son's wedding and the zip broke when I put it on at the venue just before the ceremony the zip broke. Although it was 35 days since purchase, the item was clearly defective but the seller would not engage so I tried to open a return, which she closed.

I then left honest negative feedback, which was redacted and contacted customer help who advised to contact her again and then report her if she would not resolve.  That conversation went as follows -

Me: "This item was clearly defective. A zip should not break the first time a dress is worn. I have contacted ebay and they have advised me to report you as a seller but suggested I should give you the opportunity to resolve this issue first. Do you want to try to resolve this issue?"

Seller: "Report all you like there is no resolving it came to you new and tagged condition god know me how many times you wore it you had it nearly 2 months broke the zip and want to place the blame on me ?"

Even if I had worn it everyday (a floral dress with net petticoats) it was very obviously not fit for purpose. 

Apparently nothing can be done about my feedback so she has 100% 5 stars.

Message 1 of 38
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: What is the point of leaving feedback on ebay if negative feedback is redacted?

@fab_finds4u wrote:

How did you pay?

PayPal has 180 days for returns. Most credit cards have 60 days to file a chargeback.

Not exactly.  Sellers get this confused all the time.  PP does NOT have a RETURN policy at all.  PP customers are allowed up to 180 days to file a claim.  That is NOT the same as a return policy.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999

View Best Answer in original post

Message 29 of 38
latest reply
37 REPLIES 37

Re: What is the point of leaving feedback on ebay if negative feedback is redacted?

<<It's on the customer to at least check their item over upon receipt - did you do this? I would have at least tried it on when it arrived to make sure it fit and looked decent. Having had the item for over a month, the seller can't tell if it was simply kept in a closet or abused over that time. I will say, having sewn for many years, it's tough to break a zipper if the garment fit. But it happens, and if it had happened within the 30 days of receipt, you would have had a case.

I've learnt the hard way to inspect everything I purchase mail order promptly.>>

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 2 of 38
latest reply

When you lose a case, any negative feedback left can be removed by eBay.

The seller was able to refuse the return because it was outside the window for the MBG, so the negative was removed.

Had you checked the dress upon receipt and filed a case then, you could have left a negative that would have stuck (as long as it didn’t violate policy).

She ❤︎ Her ❤︎ Hers
Message 3 of 38
latest reply

This is a product review, not feedback on a seller.  Did they sell you what was listed?  Was it shipped and delivered on time, how was customer service during the 30 day return window.  This is seller feedback.  If the zipper broke upon first use this is a product review.  This is why the 2 get confused

Message 4 of 38
latest reply

@mandisattictoyz 

I can't agree more!! Feedback is a seller review (meaning did they do what they said they would do) list, sell, package appropriately and ship on time.

@eerilyowl 

Since when is it the *seller's* fault that YOU try on/wear a dress and YOU break the zipper !?!?!

Sounds like a manufacturing flaw on the zipper to me and should be taken up with the zipper maker.

Message 5 of 38
latest reply

Exactly, I mean how is it a sellers fault that a brand new dress not made by the seller has a flaw not known to the seller because it wasn’t made right or with quality materials.  

the seller did not make it the brand of the dress did.  So it isn’t the sellers fault by any means.  Also whomever messaged a mod for this stop doing such things.  They have more important tasks to do than get attention for product reviews 

Message 6 of 38
latest reply

Agreed. Sellers are not their products. Sellers get blamed for the eBay glitches, the Post Office not doing their jobs, manufacturers doing shoddy work, etc. 

Message 7 of 38
latest reply

You are wrong.
The seller is right.
There is a reason for the 30 day return window.
You had 30 days to thoroughly inspect the item, try it on and look for defects.
Not 31 days. Not 60 days. Not 90 days. Not 1 year. No 5 years.
"I bought this from you 11 months ago and I just wore it for the first time today and the zipper broke."
Do you realize how ridiculous that sounds?

Undone - Bachman & Cummings
Message 8 of 38
latest reply

The money back guarantee is 30 days.  

Message 9 of 38
latest reply

And we have no idea if the buyer is trying to squeeze into a dress three sizes too small. This is just a silly rant. Who waits that long to see if a dress for something as important as a wedding is acceptable ?

Message 10 of 38
latest reply

1.  Not all negative feedbacks can be removed.

2. There is a limit on how many negative feedbacks can be removed. A max of 5 per year, and then only if they qualify as one that can be removed.

3. Ebay does not allow sellers to leave negative feedback for problem buyers.

Message 11 of 38
latest reply

Was there anything wrong with the dress mentioned in the listing or if not when you received it was everything fine? It's not the sellers fault if it was as described, I understand your upset, but it would be unfair to the seller if the feedback was kept if they did nothing wrong

Message 12 of 38
latest reply

You bought a dress for your son's wedding.  And never even tried it on until the day of the wedding?????
Who in the world does that?

Message 13 of 38
latest reply

ebay is not a rental service, and just like retailers, this platform and its sellers have policies they expect buyers to follow.

You had 30 days to inspect the item for flaws, try it on, and have it properly fitted. Obviously you didn't do that.

And yes, zippers can break the first time you try something on if it does not fit properly.

Message 14 of 38
latest reply

I have on my account that I am allowed 5 Feedback Revision Request.  Not sure what it means?  Is this asking eBay for the Revision, is it asking buyer for the Revision or is it 5 request between the buyer and eBay?

After 5 request I guess I am stuck with all Feedbacks?

I suspect eBay has learned that they should try to make sure the Seller has a positive experience as well the buyer and this is why they will mediate Feedback "a little".

stephenmorgan_0-1664950267613.png

Message 15 of 38
latest reply