cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is hazardous about Noma lights???

Can anyone tell me what is hazardous about noma christmas lights. Ebay removed my list as hazardous!!!! Why???? There are tons listed by other sellers... crazy.

Message 1 of 37
latest reply
36 REPLIES 36

Re: What is hazardous about Noma lights???

Are they the ones that pop when they break similar to ol florescents?

Message 16 of 37
latest reply

"Whack a moe"

That's the new Three Stooges game from Atari, right? You have to 'whack' only Moe, if you whacked Larry or Curly you lose points, but Shemp is worth an extra 1000 points.

Message 17 of 37
latest reply

I wonder if Mr Christmas is getting hit?  Bubble lights are big business...or they were.

Message 18 of 37
latest reply

It is an incredibly frustrating uneven application of eBay's "rules".

I had an item removed, yet there are many others still listed. I have taken it on as my personal mission to report every single item, and maintain a list of the ones I have reported to see how long it takes to remove them or if they do not get removed - sellers, location, etc...

For my particular item - not only is it against eBay policy, this item actually cannot be mailed via USPS - so eBay, by knowingly allowing those listings that have been reported to them to continue is allowing federal regulations to be violated.

I've asked the question repeatedly why if they are getting multiple reports on an item why they don't task a live person to scour the listings and remove all of them. I get crickets.

Message 19 of 37
latest reply

@shantynas wrote:

Water with coloring is not hazardous!!! People maybe?? 

When eBay makes decisions about which products to remove for safety reasons, the Consumer Product Safety Commission's opinion probably carry more weight than yours does. Especially when your opinion is that these are "water with coloring".

Message 20 of 37
latest reply

They have been known to catch fire, It is unfortunate that you were the one to be singled out, When others are selling the same thing, It has happened to me in the past, There needs to be a Much Better way of handling this in a More Fair way, You would Think with all the Item Specifics, That they would eliminate all listings that are Involved!

Message 21 of 37
latest reply

the chemical in them is DCM or methlyene chrloride

its a nasty paint stripper and not good to use indoors

its also used in goof off

@shantynas 

Germantown proud Germantown strong
up the whiskey hickon
moving right along
Message 22 of 37
latest reply

I see 151 active listings searching Noma bubble lights.

Everything can be dangerous if not handled or cared for properly. Anything can catch fire these days when everything is coming from China.

Noma Bubble lights are fun! They have made a comeback. Like any Christmas decoration that uses electricity, they should only be on in the house when there is someone home.  Common sense, but society lacks that these days.  

I have never heard that these can cause fires. It's usually the irresponsible owner who let the tree dry up and / or left the lights on 24/7.

I will say the regular vintage Noma strand bulbs are the ones that get hot!

Message 23 of 37
latest reply

Mine were removed as a lisitng as well.  I noticed, just today, that any bubble light that has NOMA has been removed as well.  When I had mine removed, there were still 1400 listing for them.  Today, nothing. 

Message 24 of 37
latest reply

@sextons-sweet-deals 

Anything can catch fire these days when everything is coming from China.

Not true. Pure distilled water can not catch on fire. Even if it came from China.

Message 25 of 37
latest reply

@lemoore57 wrote:

Mine were removed as a lisitng as well.  I noticed, just today, that any bubble light that has NOMA has been removed as well.  When I had mine removed, there were still 1400 listing for them.  Today, nothing. 

Who knew? Reason I try to pop into the boards occasionally. The things you learn. I'm constantly ummm enlightened and always find something to brighten my day!! Sorry. Bad me. Couldn't resist!! 🙂

-Lotz

Message 26 of 37
latest reply

Vintage wiring can cause fires

Message 27 of 37
latest reply

Mine just got pulled too, which stinks because I have two more lots that I was planning to list.  I had no idea they were hazardous.  Guess I’ll put them on Marketplace and see what happens. 

Message 28 of 37
latest reply

Hi @shantynas 

If these are vintage 'bubble lights' ... then the fluid inside most frequently is methylene chloride.

Methylene chloride can cause serious poisoning if it is inhaled, swallowed, or spilled on the skin. In the body, methylene chloride is converted to carbon monoxide ... which can cause symptoms of nausea, vomiting, headache, drowsiness, coma, seizures, heart attack, and even death.

I realize that newer versions of bubble lights are being sold safely on other platforms ... but eBay appears to be banning all of them now.

Message 29 of 37
latest reply

I recently had a listing for bubble lights removed. Same reason. 

Message 30 of 37
latest reply