cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is ebay's biggest problem?...Learning?...Perception?...Common Sense?...(Write-Ins?)

Judges?

Message 1 of 82
latest reply
81 REPLIES 81

What is ebay's biggest problem?...Learning?...Perception?...Common Sense?...(Write-Ins?)

Inconsistency is a big one. People even post policies that contradict each other. Not to mention the varied responses you will receive from the CSRs on the phone. 

Another one is just giving the buyer too much power. eBay needs both buyers *and* sellers to make it work. So many policies are so heavily in favor of the buyer. They need better ways for sellers to protect themselves from scams. I personally don't sell more expensive things because I see how easy it is to be taken advantage of. 

Message 2 of 82
latest reply

Superiority Complex.

Message 3 of 82
latest reply

Double standards.

(*Bleep*)
Message 4 of 82
latest reply

Failure to test features before going live.......resulting in glitches, while at the same time, not announcing changes which leaves everyone to wonder if something is a "change" or  a "glitch", with the ensuing confusion, resentment, etc. 

To sum it up..........there seems to be NO oversight or quality control on programming changes.....at least from all the mistakes made in the last 6-10 months.......and NO public relatons effort toward sellers. 

Message 5 of 82
latest reply

You get the Summed It Up Award
Message 6 of 82
latest reply

More words related to incompetence
clumsiness; inelegance, amateurishness, artlessness, boorishness, cloddishness, coarseness, crudeness, gawkiness, gracelessness. greenness, ignorance, inability, ineptitude, ineptness, inexpertness, maladroitness, oafishness, rudeness, tactlessness, uncoordination, uncouthness, ungainliness, unskillfulness, awkwardness, clumsiness, debarment, disenablement, disentitlement, elimination, incapacitation, incapacity, incompetence

I've got more. 

Its simply.... Go back to asking the sellers what works. Not your focus groups comprised of 99% Millennials that want everything yesterday, for free, and with free returns so they can use it and send it back in 30 days.

A site like that already exits and its called AMAZON. Go back to being eBay. There is no shame in it.....

Message 7 of 82
latest reply

@dhbookds wrote:

Failure to test features before going live.......resulting in glitches, while at the same time, not announcing changes which leaves everyone to wonder if something is a "change" or  a "glitch", with the ensuing confusion, resentment, etc. 

To sum it up..........there seems to be NO oversight or quality control on programming changes.....at least from all the mistakes made in the last 6-10 months.......and NO public relatons effort toward sellers. 

Bingo. Ebays biggest mistake is to make changes for changes sake.They have they idea that they are a programming comany and have to justfy all those programmers and bean counters. Most of the changes I just ask myself, why? Does it add to anything? Sometimes yes but sometimes no.

Prov 20:14 It is naught, it is naught, saith the buyer: but when he is gone his way, then he boasteth.
Message 8 of 82
latest reply

Ebay's failure to adopt 11 USMC leadership principles relevant for business.

Message 9 of 82
latest reply

eBay's biggest problem is its bigness. It takes in the big picture pretty well, understands how things look from the top down. However, eBay is so large and unwieldy at this point is that its perspective is so far up that individual users like us, at best, look like ants — if we are visible to them at all.

The decisions that eBay makes appear to make sense from that perspective, even if they appear to make no sense to us, who are at the base of the pyramid, not the pinnacle.

I think that sense of alienation between the top and the bottom of the pyramid is the core of every serious problem that eBay has, and that this has been the case for a long time. Corporate literally does not understand how things look at the level of the day-to-day individual user. Conversely, we individuals have a very hard time understanding how things look from the top of the pyramid — and there's ample evidence of this every day in this forum.

This isn't an exact analogy, but I am reminded of a line attributed to Stalin: "A single death is a tragedy. A million deaths is a statistic." 

But what are you going to do? eBay is a large, publicly-traded corporation and the board is answerable to the shareholders, who just want to make money. It's just the nature of the beast.

That's why I argue that in one sense, the worst thing that ever happened to eBay is that it went public. At that point, there was no going back; it was inevitable that its old, funky, niche-market character was going to fade away as management chased sales growth, or whatever metric Wall Street was focused on, to drive up the stock price.

Whatever complaints I have about Kickstarter, I will say this for Perry Chen: He gave an interview to The Verge last year in which he swore that Kickstarter would never go public, because it has a specific purpose, a specific mission and he doesn't want to deviate from it because of pressure to grow. Going to stay a Public Benefit Corporation as long as he has anything to do with it. I think that's good business, because Kickstarter's distinctive identity is all about serving niches, projects that can't get funded through other means. Lose that identity, Kickstarter loses its brand.

Even though you can still find the stuff that defined eBay in the early days (like what I sell) if you poke around enough, eBay has allowed its brand to dissipate by becoming too big and diffuse. When you lose your brand like that, you have to work all that much harder to convince people to buy from you. Who are you? Why should people pay attention to you? When this was a place to sell Pez dispensers and potato chips with Jesus' face on them, it was a lot easier to answer than question that it is now.

That, I think, is the root of all of eBay's current problems.

Message 10 of 82
latest reply

Agreed... ebay is it's own worst enemy.
It can't separate corporate greed from it's "vision"...maybe because it's "vision" IS corporate greed.
Sadly, it has to feed the monkey EVERYDAY. No time to lay back and view the landscape.
The landscape will be the 2nd quarter results..."slow growth, but we're doing all the right things".
Uh...so's the competition...and they're DOUBLE DIGIT growth.
Message 11 of 82
latest reply

Greed

Message 12 of 82
latest reply

@nawlinsron2 wrote:
Agreed... ebay is it's own worst enemy.
It can't separate corporate greed from it's "vision"...maybe because it's "vision" IS corporate greed.
Sadly, it has to feed the monkey EVERYDAY. No time to lay back and view the landscape.
The landscape will be the 2nd quarter results..."slow growth, but we're doing all the right things".
Uh...so's the competition...and they're DOUBLE DIGIT growth.

But here's an important part of my point: What you and others call "greed" is from another perspective responsibility to the shareholders. And keep in mind that almost 90% of eBay stock is owned by institutional investors — many of which are mutual funds in which a lot of our fellow Americans have entrusted their retirements. eBay is responsible to them above all, because they own the company.

A friend of mine from Toronto once explained to me why the Toronto Maple Leafs have been so mediocre even though they were no longer owned by the notoriously tigh-fisted Harold Ballard: Until recently, the Leafs were majority-owned by the Ontario Teachers Pension Fund. They didn't care about hockey, they didn't care whether or not the Leafs ever won the Stanley Cup again. All they knew is that the Leafs' fan base was so loyal that the team would be steadily profitable whether it won or lost. So why authorize the team to spend freely on better players? Bad for the fans? Yes. But from their point of view of the rightul owners of the team, it made perfect sense.

You can get as judgy as you want, but it is what it is. From where I stand, as long as eBay can fill the purposes for which I need it, I'll roll with it, whether I actually like it or not. It is what it is.

Message 13 of 82
latest reply

I'll add that it has always struck me as a tad hypocritical when sellers accuse eBay of "greed." All they're doing is maximizing what leverage they have to make as much money as they can. Just like individual sellers — or rather, that's what individual sellers are supposed to be doing.

Message 14 of 82
latest reply

Great point.
ebay is supported by what...100M/day decisions?...EVERDAY?
Statistics...to this point in time...as been their friend.
If they get just 2%, they're in like Flint.
Methinks that 2% is in jeopardy.
Message 15 of 82
latest reply