cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What in the world? Email from "Ebay Collections"

This is a first.  On one of my four selling accounts, I just got an email titled "KEEP YOUR ACCOUNT IN GOOD STANDING - PAYMENT NEEDED".

First line: 

Please pay your eBay Seller fees

My fees were, and have always been, paid in full through paypal every month.  The account in question had its fees paid on 8/15/18, right on schedule.  

And before you ask, no, I don't think it's a spoof.  The email came from collections_us@ebay.com

Yet another "improvement" apparently designed to confound the heck out of us?

Message 1 of 223
latest reply
222 REPLIES 222

Re: What in the world? Email from "Ebay Collections"

I doubt this is a simple scam. If scammers had obtained all this personal info then Ebay would be shut down now. Also doubtful that scammers would bother to run a scam in multiple languages. Not to mention that links do seem to be valid. It could be a major inside hack job, but my money is on the mother of all glitches and at Ebay some CS reps are calling scam to get people off the phone because they have no real clue.
Message 91 of 223
latest reply

My bet is they broke/rerouted something when attempting to get the backend for the new payments Beta in place.
Reality is the leading cause of stress.
Message 92 of 223
latest reply

@lecroy3 wrote:

Just received the email. Glad I saw this thread earlier today. How much more "fun" will we have when Ebay takes over payments. Yippee!

adding twist to the "fun", eBay customer service Reps are lying to people   
"this is a scam" --it only causes more panick.

how eBay become so stupid is beyond my understanding.

The same thing happened before.  you can find old posts if you search the member-to-member support forum.

Message 93 of 223
latest reply

@philalettre wrote:
What about the fact that the links are to HTTP pages, not HTTPS ?

Meaningless.  They still go to ebay.com.  And they simply use a URL rewrite on their server to automatically "redirect" to HTTPS.

As I said.  This sort of thing is part of my job.  =/

Message 94 of 223
latest reply

They are still sending these emails out. I got one sent to me at 22.31 on 20th Aug.

Like everyone else, my fees are paid automatically and were taken a few days ago.

My account shows it as paid and nothing owing as of today.

Glad I found this thread - but only after a fair bit of worry about had I been hacked.

Yet another reason to wonder if ebay is really worth all the hassle we get from them!

Message 95 of 223
latest reply

brian@ebay

With people reporting that CS is saying this is a scam......we really do need some answers now.......

Message 96 of 223
latest reply

Until we hear further, it might be a good idea for everyone to change their ebay and paypal paswords.

I just changed mine.

Message 97 of 223
latest reply

How many times (back in the day) have we seen CSR tell sellers a legitimate Promo offer was a spoof? Too many to count, yet some will still go by what they're told to get them off the phone.
Reality is the leading cause of stress.
Message 98 of 223
latest reply

ebay for business facebook page has this::

Hi everyone,
We are aware and are looking into it now. It's not a spoof, but If you're up to date on the payment, there's nothing to worry about. Some sellers may have received an email regarding this incorrectly. We apologize for the issue and you can send us a private message with your user ID to help clear things up! ~Destin

Message 99 of 223
latest reply

@attabookki wrote:

I got it too.  What a confusing mess!  Some are saying they spoke to ebay and saying it is definitely a scam.  Some are saying they had their accounts suspended suddenly for non payment.  ....

This is not a scam.  The eBay CS Reps have NO ideas what is going on unless they are also eBay sellers.  These eBay CS Reps are not as informative & knowledgeable as you think. Perhaps  they will know 3 days later when their IT department tells them what happened.

Message 100 of 223
latest reply

brian@ebay wrote:

Hi everyone! Our developers are aware of these emails and are currently looking into the matter. I'll update this thread when I have more information. Thanks!

Whois emarsys.net  / emarsys.com ?

Are they acting on eBay's behalf to send these emails?

Return-Path: <e3us-1917214664222-6ecaaII44d066II2@ebay.com>

Received: from gator4018.hostgator.com
       by gator4018.hostgator.com with LMTP id AOOTOA81e1t3YAIAUq51WA
       ; Mon, 20 Aug 2018 16:39:27 -0500
Return-path: <e3us-1917214664222-6ecaaII44d066II2@ebay.com>
Envelope-to: x
Delivery-date: Mon, 20 Aug 2018 16:39:27 -0500
Received: from e3uspmta158.emarsys.net ([91.194.248.158]:19986)
       by gator4018.hostgator.com with esmtps (TLSv1.2:ECDHE-RSA-AES256-GCM-SHA384:256)
       (Exim 4.91)
       (envelope-from <e3us-1917214664222-6ecaaII44d066II2@ebay.com>)
       id 1frrtW-000qx1-Vg
       for x; Mon, 20 Aug 2018 16:39:27 -0500

~snip~

X-Report-Abuse: Please report abuse here: abuse-report@emarsys.com
X-EMarSys-eBay-Identify: 1917183526587
List-Id: 1301 <eBay Collections>
X-CSA-Complaints: whitelist-complaints@eco.de
MIME-Version: 1.0
To: x
Subject: KEEP YOUR ACCOUNT IN GOOD STANDING - PAYMENT NEEDED

I'm ̶p̶r̶e̶t̶t̶y̶ ̶s̶u̶r̶e̶ certain the lunatics have taken over the asylum.
Message 101 of 223
latest reply

Better Half got the message, he is paid.  He listed an item and it went thru with no problem...........

Message 102 of 223
latest reply

@newview wrote:

brian@ebay wrote:

Hi everyone! Our developers are aware of these emails and are currently looking into the matter. I'll update this thread when I have more information. Thanks!

Whois emarsys.net  / emarsys.com ?

They're just bulk-mail spammers for hire, based in the UK. You can read their splash screen here: https://www.emarsys.com/en/

Are they acting on eBay's behalf to send these emails?

Given that the recipients report seeing their full names and full account details within the email that they received, I would certainly assume that they are indeed hired by eBay and acting on their behalf. Someone messed up big-time. Fingerpointing to commence in Five, Four, Three... Smiley Frustrated

Message 103 of 223
latest reply

@dhbookds wrote:

ebay for business facebook page has this::

Hi everyone,
We are aware and are looking into it now. It's not a spoof, but If you're up to date on the payment, there's nothing to worry about. Some sellers may have received an email regarding this incorrectly. We apologize for the issue and you can send us a private message with your user ID to help clear things up! ~Destin

a.  That's not really very helpful.

b.  It doesn't address sellers saying their account is currently suspended over this.

c.  They should be posting that HERE themselves.  Why are Facebook users privy to better information than the users on their own site?

d.  If it's not a spoof, why is their CS operation telling people it is a spoof? 

Gross incompetence handled with gross incompetence. 

The Floggings Will Continue Until Morale Improves.
Message 104 of 223
latest reply

I just realized I have paid twice..  

even though they claim there was no automatic payment on file  

I just need to wipe my hands of this c-ap

Message 105 of 223
latest reply