cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What in the world? Email from "Ebay Collections"

This is a first.  On one of my four selling accounts, I just got an email titled "KEEP YOUR ACCOUNT IN GOOD STANDING - PAYMENT NEEDED".

First line: 

Please pay your eBay Seller fees

My fees were, and have always been, paid in full through paypal every month.  The account in question had its fees paid on 8/15/18, right on schedule.  

And before you ask, no, I don't think it's a spoof.  The email came from collections_us@ebay.com

Yet another "improvement" apparently designed to confound the heck out of us?

Message 1 of 223
latest reply
222 REPLIES 222

Thank goodness I wasn't the only one having having to deal with this. If no one else had this happen to them I'd worry more. Thank you for posting everyone, especially you synplet. Big Hugs!

I've never been late with any payments. I was worried at first, but the payment was definitely paid on time (I checked). So I thought this was a phishing scam, but they have my full name on this and the exact amount owed too. Scary! Make me a bit leery, but there was no email in my ebay mail account. If it's ebay it should be in both my ebay and regular mail account or so I thought.

EBAY ARE YOU THERE!!!!  FIX THIS ASAP.!!!!!

I am in good standing with you but this does not make you in good standing with me.

Message 76 of 223
latest reply

I  received the same message: 

KEEP YOUR ACCOUNT IN GOOD STANDING - PAYMENT NEEDED

I forwarded to Support@ebay.com asking them to stop harassment.  they have collected the fee 5 days ago,  yet still sending out eMail on Aug 20, what an idiot eBay has become!

I found a "unsubscribe"  next to the "subject", so I clicked on it, hope this would stop future harassment.

Message 77 of 223
latest reply

With reports of some sellers being suspended over this alleged non payment, I wouldn't put much credence in what CSR said.
Reality is the leading cause of stress.
Message 78 of 223
latest reply

I got it too.  What a confusing mess!  Some are saying they spoke to ebay and saying it is definitely a scam.  Some are saying they had their accounts suspended suddenly for non payment.  Whatever is going on further reinforces that ebay is completely and utterly incompetent and not worthy of any trust whatsoever from its sellers.

Message 79 of 223
latest reply

brian@ebay wrote:

Hi everyone! Our developers are aware of these emails and are currently looking into the matter. I'll update this thread when I have more information.

Good luck with that; the current time in New Delhi as I type this is 5:47 in the morning. Smiley Wink

I suspect all that's really happened is that some knucklehead uploaded the wrong report to the Pay-Your-Bill-or-Else script and freaked out half the user base. Reparations will be forthcoming, I assume...

Message 80 of 223
latest reply

Same with me.

Another useless email from Ebay to waste our time.

Message 81 of 223
latest reply

@vintagealpaca wrote:

It's a scam people. Just spoke to eBay.  Don't click on any of the links just forward to spoof@ebay.com.au 

It's a bit of a worry as I suspect they have been hacked, they certainly have a lot of information about us including details of our last payment. I'm about to change my password. Seems the last time this happened eBay was not quick to announce they had been hacked so I'm not waiting for the announcement to take action.

I do not believe this is a scam, as I have doubled checked the "Origin", it is  from eBay.  I did click on the link, it leads to nowhere else but eBay -- the website is certified by digicert Inc.

Message 82 of 223
latest reply

Just received the email. Glad I saw this thread earlier today. How much more "fun" will we have when Ebay takes over payments. Yippee!

Message 83 of 223
latest reply

Thanks for posting a reply. If it helps the developers, I noticed on the My Account: Seller Account page, that under the upper Account Summary page, for my account it shows payment coming in, and the amount due as $0.00. However, if you scroll below that to the Total fees and payments section, the payment amount doesn't show subtracted from the Totals Fees. A possible cause???
Message 84 of 223
latest reply

I received the same email. I could not get through to Ebay customer service via the phone since there was a 300 minute wait time, and the call back option “isn't available”. My PayPal account shows paid on 8/15. I checked my Ebay account summary and it shows the payment coming in and $0.00 due. I believe Ebay is having another glitch applying auto payments and this is automatically generating emails. Hopefully, they will fix this sooner than later! 

Message 85 of 223
latest reply

What about the fact that the links are to HTTP pages, not HTTPS ?
Message 86 of 223
latest reply

@a_c_green wrote:

brian@ebay wrote:

Hi everyone! Our developers are aware of these emails and are currently looking into the matter. I'll update this thread when I have more information.

Good luck with that; the current time in New Delhi as I type this is 5:47 in the morning. Smiley Wink

I suspect all that's really happened is that some knucklehead uploaded the wrong report to the Pay-Your-Bill-or-Else script and freaked out half the user base. Reparations will be forthcoming, I assume...

Yes, but if ebay did it, wouldn't it be showing up in ebay messages as well?

From what I am reading on a couple of threads it is just coming through personal email.  

If it is not on ebay messages, for me it does not exist.  I got one and promptly deleted it without reading.

Message 87 of 223
latest reply

I also do not think its a scam....a mistake of some sort perhaps. It does pass all the checks for being a legit eBay message, with the exception of not showing in the Message Center.   Unfortunatly, I did not see any issue with it at first and I did click the link.....I was taken to PayPal and my payment processed properly and even shows up on my eBay account page.  I dont think a scam email would post payment to your eBay account.

Message 88 of 223
latest reply

I got it too.  What a confusing mess!  Some are saying they spoke to ebay and saying it is definitely a scam.  Some are saying they had their accounts suspended suddenly for non payment.  Whatever is going on further reinforces that ebay is completely and utterly incompetent and not worthy of any trust whatsoever from its sellers.

Assuming that ebay was indeed hacked, I can't help but think about the sensitive information the criminals would have if I had given in to ebay's constant begging for me to answer their "security" questions.  "Help us protect your account" indeed!

Message 89 of 223
latest reply

I just received the same email today August 20, 2018.

The fees were automatically paid back on August 16, 2018 from my paypal account.

I am unable to get through to ebay. You call, it rings, "thank you for calling ebay," and then nothing, it drops the call. Over and over.

Make good use of spare time.
Message 90 of 223
latest reply