cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What has happened to eBay???? Is eBay shuting down ????

I have been selling on eBay for over 13 years, I've seen prices go down, now it looks like Ebay is shutting down. Sales have gone to Hell ???? What has happened to eBay???? Is eBay shutting down ????

Message 1 of 123
latest reply
122 REPLIES 122

Re: What has happened to eBay???? Is eBay shuting down ????

You are describing Amazon. Ebay does not own any inventory. They provide an online venue and support services where people can buy and sell.

Yes, the rules are different for large Chinese sellers. Subsidized shipping from China Post gives them a further advantage.

Message 106 of 123
latest reply

Perfectly stated Tulips.  Just paid our August Invoice on our main account.  Last 31 day comparison....sales down 15% while ebay fees increased 33%.  So we paid much more for much less!  We have been using the promoted listing feature for a number of months now.  We were seeing roughly 30-40 percent of sales attributed to promoted listings (though no proof of that).  Last month 80 percent of our sales were supposedly from promoted listings.  Yikes.

Fortunately our annual subscription is up in November.  

Message 107 of 123
latest reply

You can promote on here all you want but if there is not enough traffic generated by marketing and advertising, it will not work.

Message 108 of 123
latest reply

So Elliot management’s plan was to include advertising, as one of the improvements. Guess that’s way down the list of important issues here at the moment. And in the meantime, many other sites are getting Ebay’s Business. It’s quite possible. 

Message 109 of 123
latest reply

I had 8 orders on another site since last night, just packed them all up. EXACT same items I sell here, I know, I cross post them all.

2 items sold within 5 minutes of putting them up.

eBay IS broken.

I come here now mostly to end my GTC that are going to roll over and remove the items sold on other sites.

I find this very sad. I believe eBay has most of its eggs in the China basket, with more and more going in that basket every minute of every day.

Message 110 of 123
latest reply

@gamersbaystore wrote:

Yep, the promoted listings just eat into profits. Yet, we're forced to use them or we get no visibility. 90% of my traffic now comes from promoted listings. Without it, no one sees anything I have for sale.

IMO, promoted listings are a scam one way or another. Either they do nothing for the seller and just put more money in eBay,s pocket, or it is a Pay to Play scam which benefits those who can afford it (and eBay) at the expense of the small seller who can't... I tried it, thought about, and decided it should be banned. Since we're all playing together in the same ballpark, let's have an equal playing field.

Message 111 of 123
latest reply

In theory I don't have a problem if sellers want to pay extra for increased visibility.  What I do have a problem with is that increased visibility comes in the form of duplicating the listings so that one listing takes up two spaces in search results.   I don't think potential buyers like that any more than most sellers.

Message 112 of 123
latest reply

Sales tax is driving people away, and prices are out of control.

Message 113 of 123
latest reply

They run out of options.

Message 114 of 123
latest reply

I read an article that indicated that Ebay has greatly reduced its google advertising and is charging sellers for promoted listings instead.  Last quarter Ebay revenues were down, but profits were up....primarily because Ebay is gouging sellers for another 10%.  Add 10% to regular Ebay and PayPal fees and we are paying a 25% Commission which greatly reduces any profit.  I started a store on another platform in mid-July and it is outselling my Ebay.  I have been a successful Ebay seller for 8 years, my long term plan is to eventually move everything to the other platform and to close my Ebay store.  Sad...it was good while it lasted.  I think that Ebay is going to see an exodus of US specialty sellers and will become the online Dollar Store for China. 

Mary
Message 115 of 123
latest reply

If not, maybe they need to and save us all $$ on a losing venue!

NO sales, scant views, no income = $$ out NO $$ in

Message 116 of 123
latest reply

@vintagecraze50 wrote:

You can promote on here all you want but if there is not enough traffic generated by marketing and advertising, it will not work.

Of course and we're seeing the stale fruit of that right now  . It seems  E bays top brass hasn't noticed  all the new selling venues that are   coming into business and have been directly competing with them at an alarming rate .   .Instead  they've  been wearing blinders baked  out  of all the extra dough  they've made from the promotional fees . This has  caused them to  put aside the concern for the  success  of their sellers   . History as proven that business practices  like these  only profit for a season . As another poster mentioned e bay is no longer the only game in town . While the  other  new '' games''  are stepping up to plate  with clever advertising  are are being more mindful for the success of their sellers ,,   then those places  are  where everyone will go. Tulips 

Message 117 of 123
latest reply

@yem_crystals wrote:

I read an article that indicated that Ebay has greatly reduced its google advertising and is charging sellers for promoted listings instead.  Last quarter Ebay revenues were down, but profits were up....primarily because Ebay is gouging sellers for another 10%.  Add 10% to regular Ebay and PayPal fees and we are paying a 25% Commission which greatly reduces any profit.  I started a store on another platform in mid-July and it is outselling my Ebay.  I have been a successful Ebay seller for 8 years, my long term plan is to eventually move everything to the other platform and to close my Ebay store.  Sad...it was good while it lasted.  I think that Ebay is going to see an exodus of US specialty sellers and will become the online Dollar Store for China. 

It's been an instant gratification type thing  for those that run e bay  lately . Just grab as much money as possible  for right now  and hope nobody will notice  causing  any negative repercussions . Tulips 

Message 118 of 123
latest reply

Yeah, I never had to pay for traffic before, this is crazy. I know there's always been slow and busy times, summer slowdowns, etc, but to cut advertising and then tell us to pay for our visibility seems quite unfair.

Message 119 of 123
latest reply

As a buyer I hate it.  Increases search time and is insulting to think that buyers are this easily fooled that we don't know it is the same exact listing that we already scrolled by.  It is like on tv when they show the same commercial twice in a row.  First time I am patient, second time I mute it.

Message 120 of 123
latest reply