cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What has happened to eBay???? Is eBay shuting down ????

I have been selling on eBay for over 13 years, I've seen prices go down, now it looks like Ebay is shutting down. Sales have gone to Hell ???? What has happened to eBay???? Is eBay shutting down ????

Message 1 of 123
latest reply
122 REPLIES 122

@crappielures2222 wrote:

I have been selling on eBay for over 13 years, I've seen prices go down, now it looks like Ebay is shutting down. Sales have gone to Hell ???? What has happened to eBay???? Is eBay shutting down ????

They may be... but it may not be on purpose!

Message 2 of 123
latest reply

No, they are being shut sown by outside forces.

Message 3 of 123
latest reply

I think they are just phasing out.  Ebay has become a dinosaur compared to the other choices out there.

Message 4 of 123
latest reply

@crappielures2222 wrote:

What has happened is that Ebay has cut down considerably or almost completely their marketing for the company, instead deciding to focus on getting more money from their existing Sellers even though sales are dropping.  After they announced their 1st quarter numbers the CEO stated that they expected the lower numbers due to the cut in marketing (advertising) expenses.  He also stated that Ebay is looking to additional revenues from existing Sellers through the use of Promoted Listings and also their Managed Payment platform.  In other words they are counting on more and more Sellers joining the Promoted Listings program as they get frustrated with not getting any sales without it.  The trending additional FVF that sellers in the program are paying appear to range from 4.65% 11.0% depending on what category you are in.  This is in addition to the 10% FVF that Ebay already charges.  In other words if you do not pay additional money for your items to be seen, your sales will probably to drop like a rock. 

Message 5 of 123
latest reply

@twnpopcards wrote:

@crappielures2222 wrote:

What has happened is that Ebay has cut down considerably or almost completely their marketing for the company, instead deciding to focus on getting more money from their existing Sellers even though sales are dropping.  After they announced their 1st quarter numbers the CEO stated that they expected the lower numbers due to the cut in marketing (advertising) expenses.  He also stated that Ebay is looking to additional revenues from existing Sellers through the use of Promoted Listings and also their Managed Payment platform.  In other words they are counting on more and more Sellers joining the Promoted Listings program as they get frustrated with not getting any sales without it.  The trending additional FVF that sellers in the program are paying appear to range from 4.65% 11.0% depending on what category you are in.  This is in addition to the 10% FVF that Ebay already charges.  In other words if you do not pay additional money for your items to be seen, your sales will probably to drop like a rock. 

One account did that despite using the regular quarterly Promoted Listing Campaign but the decline corresponded more with the GTC mandate then anything else.  that program has proven to be a complete FAIL, eBay knows it but they have no clue how to dig themselves out of that mistake ... too bad they won't step up and own it.  They ar epointing the finger at other things when in reality they have botched their business pretty bad ... I'm not sure if its at the point of no return but I think they can see it from there.

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 6 of 123
latest reply

Recently, Ebay is in error:

It’s not you. It’s us.

Our server is down, but we’ll have things back to normal soon. If you still need help, visit our help pages

We should wait for an improvement from Ebay!!!

Message 7 of 123
latest reply

@mr_lincoln wrote:

@twnpopcards wrote:

@crappielures2222 wrote:

One account did that despite using the regular quarterly Promoted Listing Campaign but the decline corresponded more with the GTC mandate then anything else.  that program has proven to be a complete FAIL, eBay knows it but they have no clue how to dig themselves out of that mistake ... too bad they won't step up and own it.  They ar epointing the finger at other things when in reality they have botched their business pretty bad ... I'm not sure if its at the point of no return but I think they can see it from there.

Agreed that GTC change has not helped things out either.  If you are waiting for Ebay to claim that they made a mistake, you will be waiting a very long time as they have no intention of ever admitting they do not know what they are doing.  If GTC fails and Ebay has to finally admit it and change things again, you know they will point the finger at the Sellers being responsible for the lack of sales.  It happens this way every time as Ebay will never admit they are wrong.

Message 8 of 123
latest reply

@crappielures2222 wrote:

Other than the fact that YOU are not having success, what other evidence have you seen that eBay is "shutting down"?

Message 9 of 123
latest reply

Ebay is changed. The market evolves. What worked yesterday is gone today. Buyers are becoming savvier. There is added pressure in ecommerce to compete on a more professional level. Times change.

Sellers have to figure out how to navigate new retail landscapes. As with all change, some may not survive, but others will adapt. It’s like swimming with sharks—those slow to move will be at greater risk.

Message 10 of 123
latest reply

@twnpopcards wrote:

@mr_lincoln wrote:

@twnpopcards wrote:

@crappielures2222 wrote:

Agreed that GTC change has not helped things out either.  If you are waiting for Ebay to claim that they made a mistake, you will be waiting a very long time as they have no intention of ever admitting they do not know what they are doing.  If GTC fails and Ebay has to finally admit it and change things again, you know they will point the finger at the Sellers being responsible for the lack of sales.  It happens this way every time as Ebay will never admit they are wrong.

Yes, I agree with you.  They did however get close when they said they "think" GTC listings with their View and Watch count history will help sell things ... but when I can chart the 90% collapse of an account in a 6 week period with the GTC mandate roll out and chart the % drop of GTC listings that sell then it's pretty clear they were and a continue to be wrong.  Even the main account now is seeing GTC sales steadily drop ... from 46% to 36% to 24% (month to month) is pretty significant in my book when the split between Auctions and Fixed Price were consistent prior to GTC.

So I am adjusting listing strategy in an effort to stave off the total collapse of both accounts ...

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 11 of 123
latest reply

Sellers have to figure out how to navigate new retail landscapes.

I do not consider eBay a retailer - nor as a seller am I.    Unlike Amazon,  eBay sells nothing but space and traffic.   And as such they have fringed far too much on how sellers - who are not a one-size-fits-all group - conduct their business.  

Of course, times and markets change and sellers will adapt to change or fail,  but here it has been less about market changes and more about manipulation of visibility by our host.  

Message 12 of 123
latest reply

@uncseniorsportsfan wrote:

Sellers have to figure out how to navigate new retail landscapes.

I do not consider eBay a retailer - nor as a seller am I. 

He did not say eBay was a retailer, he said that eBay sellers are participating in a retail landscape.

Retail (noun): "the sale of commodities or goods in small quantities to ultimate consumers"

IMHO anyone who does not think selling on eBay puts you in a "retail landscape" is ignoring the basic definition of retail.

Message 13 of 123
latest reply

If you owned a company and made 2.53 billion net income in 2018 would you shut it down?

Because some sellers are not making money doesn't mean they aren't.   

Message 14 of 123
latest reply

I've been selling on eBay for 18 years, first with my daughter & then on my own since 2004. It's always been a part-time thing for me, but if I got in a pinch I knew I could list more & pick up the extra money I needed. Even though part-time, my sales were good enough to be a PS & most of the time a TRS after that started. 

I have a storage building packed with vintage clothing, mostly lingerie, that I collected while traveling the Southeast as a travel nurse & stopping at Goodwills & thrift shops along my routes. All nice items, good quality, in demand. But I had pretty much stopped doing eBay due to being involved in other things after I retired from nursing. Back before Christmas this past year, though, I decided to get back on here & start selling off the contents of all those Rubbermaid tubs full of stuff.

The first 3 months were fine. After that, my sales have steadily declined & despite listing 2-3x more items, are now worse than I've seen in my almost 2 decades as an eBay seller. Yes, I'm aware that one must adapt or die. I understand that. But at this point, I'm at a loss to know exactly how I can adapt to boost my sales. I use good keywords & SEO, good titles, thorough descriptions, good photos, and my prices are below what I'd have gotten even way back when I first started selling. My feedback rating is 100%. I'm a TRS. I have a store. I do promotions, best offers, email marketing, the whole enchilada. Despite all that, I've had one item sell out of 18 auctions since Sunday...and it hasn't been paid yet. 

I'm now trying promoted listings. Other than that, I'm stymied. If that doesn't work either, I guess I'll try another venue or donate all of my inventory to local non-profit thrifts. The GTC thing didn't seem like a good idea to me but I can't definitely say that's what has helped virtually kill my sales. I'm not getting any views, even with auctions. If nobody sees your listings, chances are they won't get any bids or sales. While I don't claim to know what has happened to eBay, I have enough experience as a seller---and someone who knows their niche market---to say that something has happened & whatever it is, it's not good. At this point, I'm feeling really discouraged. 

Message 15 of 123
latest reply