cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What has happened to eBay???? Is eBay shuting down ????

I have been selling on eBay for over 13 years, I've seen prices go down, now it looks like Ebay is shutting down. Sales have gone to Hell ???? What has happened to eBay???? Is eBay shutting down ????

Message 1 of 123
latest reply
122 REPLIES 122

Re: What has happened to eBay???? Is eBay shuting down ????

@yuzuha wrote:

@fashunu4eeuh wrote:

Ebay is changed. The market evolves. What worked yesterday is gone today. Buyers are becoming savvier. There is added pressure in ecommerce to compete on a more professional level. Times change.

Sellers have to figure out how to navigate new retail landscapes. As with all change, some may not survive, but others will adapt. It’s like swimming with sharks—those slow to move will be at greater risk.

And what sold yesterday will not necessarily sell today.  I see a LOT of sellers here who are wildly out of touch with what the younger generations like and are interested in.  When I (as someone in my 30s) look at a seller's store and think "I don't know a single person in my age range who would buy any of that," it seems to me that the problem is not with eBay but rather with the sellers who are not keeping up with what is in demand/style now.

E bays current  problems doesn't have  one thing to do with the age of the consumers . Tulips 

Message 46 of 123
latest reply

@turquoisetulips wrote:

@yuzuha wrote:

And what sold yesterday will not necessarily sell today.  I see a LOT of sellers here who are wildly out of touch with what the younger generations like and are interested in.  When I (as someone in my 30s) look at a seller's store and think "I don't know a single person in my age range who would buy any of that," it seems to me that the problem is not with eBay but rather with the sellers who are not keeping up with what is in demand/style now.

E bays current  problems doesn't have  one thing to do with the age of the consumers . Tulips 

Sure they do.  I follow almost a dozen sellers who sell things that are popular with younger buyers and they make multiple sales per day.

Message 47 of 123
latest reply

GTC= Going To Collect .... some more listing fees ...from Sellers.
Message 48 of 123
latest reply

Is Etsy, doing the suspended -delayed payment thing currently...also?...not sure. Thanks for the reply.
Message 49 of 123
latest reply

Put it out there if you don't believe, ask the question, over and over day after day sales have tanked, not just down but tanked, no idea why you seem to think otherwise, it's obvious something is drastically wrong. Most peoples opinion on here other than yours.

Message 50 of 123
latest reply

Me to, proves something is wrong here, they buy on other venues.

Message 51 of 123
latest reply

My grandkids (ages 16-29) used to be big eBay shoppers -  except for the youngest looking for used textbooks - they rarely shop here any more except for things they can't find on Amazon.   They used to want an eBay gift card in their Christmas stocking - not any more.   My daughter-in-law - a long time online shopper as well as an eBay seller - now only uses google search when shopping by phone, not eBay.  

Sure there are probably many factors behind declining sales for many sellers, but I believe that eBay's search changes and deficiencies have played a large role especially since the advent of GTC and promoted listings and the search emphasis on best offer, free shipping, and free returns.   

Message 52 of 123
latest reply

Younger buyers are also the poorest according to the U.S. census. The younger generation also has the highest rate of unemployment, which currently sit at record lows. There are less younger people in the workforce today than in our entire history as a nation. Just because something is popular with a certain generation does not mean those people can afford to buy what they want.

What do the younger generation like? Clothing, video games, phone accessories, etc. I sell video games, have hundreds of active watchers right now for them, and they aren't buying.

I honestly find it much easier to sell classic movies from the 1970's, or other vintage items to older buyers. Its the whole reason I've slowed my roll with listing games, and have started listing more movies, and older vintage books instead.

The older buyers are generally much wealthier, and many can afford to buy what they want. I just sold an antique wooden candy box for $100 to retired buyer. Yet, I can list games for sale for a $8 or $10 and they sit with a ton of watchers for months on end before they ever sell.

While I can't speak for everyone else, I can say I definitely find it much easier to sell to a 50 year old vs. a 21 year old.

Message 53 of 123
latest reply

@gamersbaystore wrote:

Younger buyers are also the poorest according to the U.S. census. The younger generation also has the highest rate of unemployment, which currently sit at record lows. There are less younger people in the workforce today than in our entire history as a nation. Just because something is popular with a certain generation does not mean those people can afford to buy what they want.

What do the younger generation like? Clothing, video games, phone accessories, etc. I sell video games, have hundreds of active watchers right now for them, and they aren't buying.

I honestly find it much easier to sell classic movies from the 1970's, or other vintage items to older buyers. Its the whole reason I've slowed my roll with listing games, and have started listing more movies, and older vintage books instead.

The older buyers are generally much wealthier, and many can afford to buy what they want. I just sold an antique wooden candy box for $100 to retired buyer. Yet, I can list games for sale for a $8 or $10 and they sit with a ton of watchers for months on end before they ever sell.

While I can't speak for everyone else, I can say I definitely find it much easier to sell to a 50 year old vs. a 21 year old.

But, but, but... Uncle Griff said you are not competitive because you don't sell them for less than the cost of shipping.  Smiley Frustrated

Message 54 of 123
latest reply

@yuzuha wrote:

@turquoisetulips wrote:

@yuzuha wrote:

Sure they do.  I follow almost a dozen sellers who sell things that are popular with younger buyers and they make multiple sales per day.

Nonsense ,, buyers can find anything and everything  they want to buy on e bay regardless of their age . You must remember  that the drop in sales here as been a sudden thing ,, just over the last six months according to what sellers are reporting .  Are you saying that sellers had things kids want to buy  a few short months ago but now they don't ?  Tulips 

Message 55 of 123
latest reply

I do know that if things don't drastically change during the last couple weeks of August, I will be downgrading my store from basic to starter, eliminating a bunch of listings, and carefully rationing my new allotment. I really don't want to close the store altogether until I see how eBay treats us during the all important 4th quarter. If things are like they are now... there is NO WAY they will be able to spin their dismal year to Wall St. as good.

Message 56 of 123
latest reply

@patd3283 wrote:

^^ I see a LOT of sellers here who are wildly out of touch with what the younger generations like and are interested in.

Yuzuha, not everyone is in their 30s.  In fact, I'm 50 years older than you and still kicking, if you can believe it.

Some of my items are antique, some vintage and some newer.  You don't have to be a kid in their 30s to enjoy the variety of items eBay offers - if they can find them with the current search mode.

Of course . If every e bay seller  had  items that only appealed to children ,, they'd go broke . No matter what a person's age   if they support themselves  then they can find just about whatever they need  right here on e bay . Furthermore I do believe there are more people  in this category  across the nation than the  teens and 20 somethings still living at home  with a very  limited  source income to spend . Tulips 

Message 57 of 123
latest reply

@2015mhfashions wrote:

Me to, proves something is wrong here, they buy on other venues.

Yes ,, something has gone dreadfully wrong here . I'm dead  serious when I say the only reason I  must come to my listings  on e bay  every day is to remove an item that just sold on another venue.  I already know not to expect any sales here ,, it's become a daily routine . Tulips 

Message 58 of 123
latest reply

Lucky,
you make a valid point about evidence.

my experience has been this
low tech guy herenot into smartphones.....kinda despise them

i have a very good one and do not know how to manipulate things with apps and so forth

i got my I pad for hotel use only..........it collects dust

just where am I going with this story you ask

my son was into gaming and all that
yeah.........gotta get me that watercooled tower

who even knew that such a thing existed
we used to talk about what made a computer good
why one model was way more than another
how to compare them

his theory was the graphics card made the diffence in prices
he could never afford the good stuff

meanwhile I tried to learn about graphics cards
had my mind set on a 1070...not sure why I thought I would need that but i figured why not

18 months ago I got me a HP Demon or something
has the 1070
tower is about 1350 on sale

I thought that just maybe it would help with my ebay slowness

google chrome is recomended with ebay
I asked them

I am unable to amend a simple invoice....flat rate shipping and all that..easy peasy.....nothing but auctions for me

I try the edge browser.thinking it woud help.......i get lot and lots of combined orders

i need to amend my manual invoices almost every night
lotsa repeat customers

I go to edge
I go to seller hub
i then go to this line
Orders eligible for combined purchases

I use it every single day.........actually just 3 days a week

know what happens when I hit it

its not you its us
servers down

not sure why I have such a hard time amending an invoice.i have done it thousands of times

ihave no clue whether or not its my PC
ebay
a virus

I spent 1350 on a good tower........hp demon
I like things to run smoothly
2 months ago this problem sprang up
it has not been smooth at all since then

rule #10...............have a look

I started up a rumour last month about this

not supposed to be doing that at all

my friend told me that all tech has been transferred to the new managed payment systems

I know thats a rumor

whats up with the unstable platorm

is it my computer or the seller hub platform

I am not smart enough to tell the difference
will be 60 soon.......got to keep up with big tech
what does that even mean?

PGW

I will not disparage my ebay friends & family
I will not disparage my great family name
ARK + DOVE
john & sara..... W.F. lost city of Providence
Message 59 of 123
latest reply

I do exactly the same , it's the only thing i need to do with E Bay now, remove listings that do sell on other venues, but the cheerleaders will still tell you our lack of sales is because something we are doing wrong, obviously not, selling fine elsewhere ! At least there are some of us who acknowledge there are serious problems selling here now.

Message 60 of 123
latest reply