cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Welcome to eBay's new CANCEL-THON sale courtesy of the new GTC requirement!

Come one, come all to eBay's new CANCEL-THON sale! Step right up and search for vintage items in your favorite categories or by using your favorite search parameters. What? There's very little or nothing to see? You bet. Sellers like myself have had to waste time CANCELLING many of our listings so the automatic renewal doesn't infringe on our monthly allotment. I've already had my monthly allotment eaten up since I forgot to manually cancel some GTC listings. Now, I won't be relisting anything new and refreshing until next month. Now, I've listed some of my items on other online sales platforms. Now, in addition to cancelling listings on the 29th day I'll be cancelling listings when my items sell on other online sales platforms.

Guess what you eBay "geniuses" who concocted the idea of forcing your sellers into GTC and "cancelling" the 30 day list option...your revenue will diminish as your online sales competitors get the sales commissions. And as for eBay's sellers who all peddle the same new widgets good luck with that! You all will eventually out-price yourselves into oblivion (assuming your eBay business activity involves earning a "profit"). Unless eBay reverses the forced GTC onto its sellers I don't see a future here. This is the thanks I get for selling on eBay for the last 20 years and weathering the long history of adverse decisions affecting the vintage and art marketplace.  I suppose things could be worse...I could be invested in eBay stock! 🙂   

Message 1 of 33
latest reply
32 REPLIES 32

Re: Welcome to eBay's new CANCEL-THON sale courtesy of the new GTC requirement!

@mod-designs4u wrote:

Come one, come all to eBay's new CANCEL-THON sale! Step right up and search for vintage items in your favorite categories or by using your favorite search parameters. What? There's very little or nothing to see? You bet. Sellers like myself have had to waste time CANCELLING many of our listings so the automatic renewal doesn't infringe on our monthly allotment. I've already had my monthly allotment eaten up since I forgot to manually cancel some GTC listings. Now, I won't be relisting anything new and refreshing until next month. Now, I've listed some of my items on other online sales platforms. Now, in addition to cancelling listings on the 29th day I'll be cancelling listings when my items sell on other online sales platforms.

Guess what you eBay "geniuses" who concocted the idea of forcing your sellers into GTC and "cancelling" the 30 day list option...your revenue will diminish as your online sales competitors get the sales commissions. And as for eBay's sellers who all peddle the same new widgets good luck with that! You all will eventually out-price yourselves into oblivion (assuming your eBay business activity involves earning a "profit"). Unless eBay reverses the forced GTC onto its sellers I don't see a future here. This is the thanks I get for selling on eBay for the last 20 years and weathering the long history of adverse decisions affecting the vintage and art marketplace.  I suppose things could be worse...I could be invested in eBay stock! 🙂   

This policy change is no different than all the others that Ebay has continued to throw out at Sellers each Update that chases more and more Sellers to other sites.  But then they sit there and cannot figure out why the other sites continue to grow in double digits each quarter while Ebay continues to lose more and more ground each quarter until they had last quarters joke of 1% growth.  Evidently they won't be satisfied until they are showing negative growth each quarter, as they continue to force these changes on Sellers over and over trying to squeeze every extra penny they can because they have no clue how to grow the site.

After reading the annual letter the CEO issued to shareholders I can't wait to hear all the comments coming out of the annual shareholders meeting, unless they just happen to lose the audio during the Q & A session again this year.

Message 2 of 33
latest reply

I agree with your thoughts and have said the same on these boards. 1st quarter earnings will be released today and due to the new 500 Free listing promo - I don't think March was a very good month as they are trying to get their numbers up from people moving items off the venue in anticipation of the GTC policy.

I'll gladly take the 500 promo but will be cancelling all 500 that don't sell 30 days from now as well as those listings that sell on the other platforms I've moved to.

Message 3 of 33
latest reply

@mod-designs4u wrote:

Guess what you eBay "geniuses" who concocted the idea of forcing your sellers into GTC and "cancelling" the 30 day list option...your revenue will diminish as your online sales competitors get the sales commissions. 

Just another case of the ebay suit-wearing bobble-heads, sitting around the conference table, playing the emperor's new clothes.

Message 4 of 33
latest reply

What I dont understand is if the items are GTC, why is there still days and hours left next to the items I'm watching?  

I swear sometimes I get mad at my kids, but , not really.  I love my kids.

Message 5 of 33
latest reply

GTC listings are exactly the same as 30 day listings from a buyers stand point, they just automatically renew after the 30 days are up.  There are some details about GTC that are negative to the seller (such as visibility in searches) that are different than a 30 day listing, but for the most part they are the same.  As a buyer you still see that the listing ends in 30 days, but it just gets auto renewed.  So as a buyer, if you are "watching" an item that is GTC, you will see that it is going to end after its 30 days, but when it does end, it just auto renews, and you are still watching it.

Message 6 of 33
latest reply

Manually ending a listing takes all of five clicks and by the third time it took me all of five seconds or so to get back to the next listing I needed to end.    So we are talking about ending 10 to 12 listings per minute.  It is a new pain in the derriere, but not that painful.

Message 7 of 33
latest reply

Try bulk ending them from your active listings page on Seller Hub.... Just saying- instead of doing it one at a time....

Message 8 of 33
latest reply

I do not love the policy because I see it sucking away money from me at times when I may have no sales to cover it.  However, I do think there are behind the scenes issues eBay is trying to address in making this change.

Fox example:  I notice that sometimes a person with a website will provide a link to my eBay item.  If my item ends, it probably ruins the link in that all click-thru buyers get is the old, ended listing even when I have chosen to relist the item.   ???

Then there is the stated issue with Google searches.  I'm not an expert on these matters.  I do use Google myself sometimes and often pull up eBay listings that way....just not often enough to have noticed the problem.  Or maybe I haven't noticed because I know how to look for relisted items.  ???

So...while from one angle the policy seems very bad for me, it is quite possible that from another angle, one that is not so obvious to me, the policy will actually do me some good.  I haven't decided yet.  It's too soon to say.

I may have to join the cancel-thon from time to time.  We shall see.  I still think only time will tell.

Message 9 of 33
latest reply

You would think that Ebay would have trust in their sellers , that we know what is the best  way to sell are items. Instead they force us in to change. For better or for worse. 

The thing is , this isn't about Ebay's trust in their sellers. In fact they really don't care about sellers. As long as the bottom line is maintained. This GTC change  in some way benifits Ebay. Maybe some how this benefits or entices the major sellers to do more business with Ebay. Don't know for sure , but I do know for sure that over the time Ebay has made changes it has never helped me.

Message 10 of 33
latest reply

I'll be doing the same every 30 days. I'll be darned if I'm gonna pay ebay .30 every 30 days for a $3 item that may eventually sell but I won't make anything on it. I'll end them and wait for promotion just like I did before.

Message 11 of 33
latest reply

Well then, if you must, cancel away !! No one is stopping you !! Good Luck

Message 12 of 33
latest reply

Humm. You don't make anything on a 3 dollar item anyway.

It is amazing how many sellers are shooting themselves in the foot with this policy change.

It really is not that big a deal. 

If you must end listings at 29 days to avoid selling anything because you might have a 15 cent (or whatever) insertion fee if it rolls over just check mark ending soon in your actives. Click delete. 

I will admit it is slightly different with a store, especially with one of a kind items that may not be seen by a buyer immediately, but not much different. I use GTC. Have since it was available. Easy peasy to monitor. 

Radine

Message 13 of 33
latest reply

As for the idea that all listings for an item that someone may be searching for are all disappearing at the same time so that buyer is not going to find what they want is...well...unrealistic.

Radine

Message 14 of 33
latest reply

I agree with you !! But these people seem to rely on the last day or two of a 30 day listing to sell whatever it is they sell !! Or they want to list their items for 5 or 7 days . I understand the choices are gone. But if what they are selling is not worth buying it don't make a hill of beans how they are listed or for how long !! And I have looked at many,many listed items people are selling . I have seen some very nice items to lets say undesirable items at least for me personally !!  To each his/her own in what they sell !!! If the GTC doesn't work out money wise for EBAY it will be reverted back to the way it was !! My Opinion / Money Talks !! Good Luck

Message 15 of 33
latest reply