cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WOW!

eBay Accuses PWCC of Shill Bidding

eBay leveled a strong accusation and took action against one of its largest clients in the trading card category Tuesday.

In a message sent to customers who have done business with PWCC Marketplace, eBay indicated it had “restricted” PWCC’s selling privileges and listings.  At issue, according to the statement from eBay, is shill bidding–the practice of placing bids on an item in an effort to increase its selling price.
https://www.sportscollectorsdaily.com/ebay-accuses-pwcc-of-shill-bidding/?fbclid=IwAR2kFjztXZSyFWFxa...

Message 1 of 39
latest reply
38 REPLIES 38

WOW!

Wow is right - that was swift.

Goodness.  Obviously a lot more to this story.  Thanks for sharing that.  Kinda shocking to read, but no idea why I am surprised that is stated they were shilling their own massive amount of auctions.  Greed fueled by Greed.  Hopefully those buyers affected will be compensated in some way.  

....... "The Ranger isn't gonna like it Yogi"......... Boo-Boo knew what he was talking about!

Posting ID Only.......
Yes, I have no Bananas, only Flamethrowers.......
Message 2 of 39
latest reply

WOW!

YEE-Hi, that's wonderful news. Now maybe those small sellers that have shillers will get caught, too.

Message 3 of 39
latest reply

WOW!

Still has almost 18,000 list1ngs???

Message 4 of 39
latest reply

WOW!

Wow indeed! Typically eBay says they cannot discuss or disclose any action taken against other accounts, so it must have been pretty egregious for them to not only take this action, but to put out a public statement about it. 😮

Message 5 of 39
latest reply

WOW!

If we determined that a buyer or seller is not acting in good faith, eBay takes this seriously and takes action.

Eh...maybe. Doesn't seem like that in the view from here though.

I suppose higher value targets get higher value scrutiny.

Message 6 of 39
latest reply

WOW!

Must be something in the air.......Amazon closed down 50,000 Chinese sellers for fake reviews.......

Message 7 of 39
latest reply

WOW!

This is not a big surprise to many of us in the hobby. The biggest surprise is someone actually standing up and doing something about it! Lots of fraud and misrepresentation been going on for years.

Message 8 of 39
latest reply

WOW!

I wonder if it might have anything to do with:  "While it has used eBay as its primary market for many years, PWCC has recently started a Premier Auction, run strictly on its own platform."

Not saying 'NO' doesn't mean 'YES'.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 9 of 39
latest reply

WOW!

Another ++ for Amazon. They are doing as much as they can to add value to their ecommerce name. There is probably more to come. 

Message 10 of 39
latest reply

WOW!

Yep, I imagine this is "shot across the bow" for both of them.........

Message 11 of 39
latest reply

WOW!

The article said they restricted them but did not shut them down. None of the remaining 18,000 should be a BIN. Be interesting to see what remains a week from now. 

Message 12 of 39
latest reply

WOW!

@dbfolks166mt 

I see this:

The eBay spokeswoman told SC Daily that those auctions were being taken down and all active listings were in the process of being removed. All of PWCC’s Buy it Now listings had been removed as of Tuesday afternoon.

Message 13 of 39
latest reply

WOW!

I suspect the auction type items are a bit more difficult to remove having to check those that have bids or offers outstanding. BIN is a pretty easy removal if the item has not sold. 

Message 14 of 39
latest reply

WOW!

What happened to innocent until proven guilty?   Do we live in 18th century France?  Has the #Me Too movement taken over the U.S.  Seems like too many people on eBay want to tear up our Constitution.

Message 15 of 39
latest reply