cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WOW!

eBay Accuses PWCC of Shill Bidding

eBay leveled a strong accusation and took action against one of its largest clients in the trading card category Tuesday.

In a message sent to customers who have done business with PWCC Marketplace, eBay indicated it had “restricted” PWCC’s selling privileges and listings.  At issue, according to the statement from eBay, is shill bidding–the practice of placing bids on an item in an effort to increase its selling price.
https://www.sportscollectorsdaily.com/ebay-accuses-pwcc-of-shill-bidding/?fbclid=IwAR2kFjztXZSyFWFxa...

Message 1 of 39
latest reply
38 REPLIES 38

WOW!

auctionpet
Guide

According to that article...

"In making its defense, PWCC stated it was “proud of the work it has done over the years to improve eBay’s own processes and to ensure that the platform is one that users can trust. These efforts went well beyond the measures that eBay takes to ensure legitimate auction processes. For example, PWCC worked tirelessly with eBay for over 10 years to remove the bid retraction option for buyers, eliminate forced return policies for sellers, and reduce the Significantly Not As Described (SNAD) window from 30 days to 3"

Since when can't buyers retract bids? Return policies are in place for sure, no matter what a seller claims. Where is there a mere 3 day SNAD window!?  Am I on the right site!! 

Message 31 of 39
latest reply

WOW!

@auctionpet You are on the right site. For quite some time now, ebay has recognized that one size doesn't always fit all, and has been taking a category by category approach to matters, beginning with things like luxury watches, high end sneakers, and trading cards. So, if you sell in the Trading Cards category, you will see those policies are in effect. I don't sell in Trading Cards, but I stay informed about ebay changes. As ebay continues to expand this approach to other categories, we can expect to see more category specific changes.

Message 32 of 39
latest reply

WOW!

@my-cottage-books-and-antiques 

Thank you! I don't sell in those categories either. Must be nice. A 3 day SNAD!!

Ebay needs to tighten the reins and enforce them overall. None of their policies would prevent chargebacks though.

Message 33 of 39
latest reply

WOW!

Just posting in general to this thread. 

I have been thinking about this for a day or so since the news was announced.  One of my concerns is that eBay is doing this (publicly no less) for a reason.  I hope it is not just a move to discredit this seller.  I wouldn't put it past eBay to do something of this sort if they are not happy with the selling behavior of the member off site and it is standing in the way of their goals. 

As mentioned, eBay wants to 'corner the market' so to speak.  What better way than to shed doubt, be it real or not, on the credibility of  competition.  I sense something else is amiss, and I will always remember the ECB debacle.  

Message 34 of 39
latest reply

WOW!

@shipscript wrote:

I see two possible issues at play here:

1) eBay wants to own the trading card market, so they have to clean up any issues.

2) The seller is a consignment house. What if the consignors are shilling their own items unbeknownst to the seller? Or, more likely, what if staff is commission driven and some are boosting their commissions on the side, unbeknownst to the company?

This seller is a consignment house.

Since eBay would not say how the shillers are related to PWCC, I would not be surprised to learn that the shillers were consignees who are bidding on their own items.

That would seem a difficult thing for PWCC to police.  How do B&M auction houses do it?  What methods does eBay itself use to detect shill bidding?

Message 35 of 39
latest reply

WOW!

Sometimes you're the fly, and sometimes you're the fly swatter. 

krazzykats_0-1629336061062.png

KrazzyKats
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 36 of 39
latest reply

WOW!

@ittybitnot wrote:

Just posting in general to this thread. 

I have been thinking about this for a day or so since the news was announced.  One of my concerns is that eBay is doing this (publicly no less) for a reason.  I hope it is not just a move to discredit this seller.  I wouldn't put it past eBay to do something of this sort if they are not happy with the selling behavior of the member off site and it is standing in the way of their goals. 

As mentioned, eBay wants to 'corner the market' so to speak.  What better way than to shed doubt, be it real or not, on the credibility of  competition.  I sense something else is amiss, and I will always remember the ECB debacle.  

I would think they did it publicly for precisely the reason you state......to discredit the seller and therefore to warn other sellers.........that if they get caught, they will suffer the same fate......so clean up your act, if need be.  I doubt the lawyers would have let them do it if they did not have plenty of proof.

Message 37 of 39
latest reply

WOW!

I am sure it does.

Message 38 of 39
latest reply

WOW!

So true.

Message 39 of 39
latest reply