cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Variation Listings for Sports Cards

Hello, any help would be appreciate or insight on listing variations for sports cards after this new update.  Keep getting errors. 

Message 1 of 50
latest reply
49 REPLIES 49

Re: Variation Listings for Sports Cards

If every condition is throwing out that error then you should definitely wait it out. You can read this post for more info- https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/EBay-eliminated-the-item-specifics-in-over-1300-of-my-items-bu...

It's a note from eBay about item specifics, but may apply to the condition issue you're experiencing, as well. Just a guess.

As to why they change what attributes are acceptable- it probably has something to do with eBay's big recent push to turn trading cards into a product-based category. Making the item specifics more uniform makes it easier for them to do that.

I hate when they mess around with acceptable variation attributes- it has created endless hours of work for me over the past few years.

Message 16 of 50
latest reply

Tyler, here’s the problem: I created 24 listings using the variations options for listing baseball cards.  eBay provided the “Card Attributes” option, which is what a prospective buyer clicks on to see the cards available to purchase.  I have sold 2,400 cards this way in two months, and have 2,700 currently listed, most with individual photos of the cards for sale.  Between organizing cards in numerical order, taking and editing photos of each individual card, and the data entry for up to 250 cards per listing, well, it’s a TON of work and time.

Now eBay requires more details for each listing — all of which is information that I had included in each listing — whether the card is graded, year, condition, etc.

But when I provide the info AGAIN and go to save it eBay gives a “card variations is not allowed as a variation specific” response.

So, eBay is asking for information which I’ve already provided and now rejecting “Card Atttibutes” which is what it provided before.

This is so frustrating.  I wasted 2 hours adding new cards to a listing today, only to have eBay not accept it because they no longer accept “Card Attributes”!  Then I wasted an hour on a chat with FOUR different “helpers” only to have the last one write that there’s nothing I can do, so I should not edit current listings and start new ones instead.

Please help!

Message 17 of 50
latest reply

One more point: if I have to repeat the listing process for all 24 listings, with photos, that’s about 80 to 100 hours.  That means I won’t be able to list another 2,000 cards in my collection that I’d hope to list soon.

This is clearly a coding flaw, and is easily fixable.  All that’s needed for the Sports Cards category is to allow a seller to convert “Card Attributes” to “Player Name.”  What makes absolutely no sense whatsoever is to require eBay sellers to waste time on repeating listings.  Why punish eBay sellers over this?

Message 18 of 50
latest reply

@letsplayhardball @coffeebean832 100% agree with you...I have over 900 listings with over 10,000 cards listed...many are in variation listings I now have to convert...

They could fix this...or just grandfather in these listings....so much time is wasted.  

Message 19 of 50
latest reply

What I do not understand is that eBay provided the “Card Attributes” option that it now will not allow.  That makes no sense whatsoever.

They sent a severe warning a few days ago to upgrade every listing with details — year, brand, condition, grading, autograph, etc., all of which is information I’d already provided.  But to then reject edits to listings because eBay won’t accept “Card Attributes,” (the option that eBay provided!) is a coding error.  

I don’t have the 80 hours required to re-list 2,700 cards — eBay needs to realize that there are other options, such as Facebook Marketplace, Amazon, Etsy, and post-pandemic card shows.  Why punish honest sellers?

Message 20 of 50
latest reply

I was on the phone with Ebay for over 1 hour yesterday about this sports card variation - The only answer they have is to delete the item and relist - WTH - This makes absolutely no sense - How do we know if we change all the variations today they won't come up with another error . I agree  Why punish the sellers ? I will call again maybe i can get someone to supply a fix. 

Message 21 of 50
latest reply

Please fix this problem. I don't have the time or patience to list every card over again. If you wanted to make changes at least grandfather the pre-existing auctions. Now I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Message 22 of 50
latest reply

Any idea of what would be considered a "safe" variation  heading for sports cards? Card Attributes was perfectly fine when eBay allowed me to create tens of thousands of variations last year and I'd really like to avoid having to undo months of listing work again next year when Ebay decides it wants to quibble over another word or two...

Message 23 of 50
latest reply

Same here. I cannot fill the circle all the way. All my listings are getting minimal views because of these changes. I have filled out every single item specific and still getting " add recommended specifics on the seller page. Does anyone know if Ebay is working to fix this. 

Message 24 of 50
latest reply

@running_redbirds Card number seems to be working for me as a safe variation

Message 25 of 50
latest reply

@coffeebean832 Does anyone know if you can change the attribute from "card attribute" to one that will be allowed under these new item specifics without going in and basically relisting all the cards? 

Message 26 of 50
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for reaching out to us about the recent changes in some eBay categories. We understand the changes might affect the way you sell items. eBay is moving to a product-based category structure that will support a better experience for both buyers and sellers. In addition, we are implementing new item specifics to help find your listings. As the category changes roll out, there will be some fluctuation in the item specifics and left-hand navigation filters. This should settle down in the next few days. We apologize for the inconvenience in the meantime.

What are the specific categories and item specifics in which you are experiencing above issue and do these issue persist? Thank you again for taking the time to share this valuable feedback, and for choosing eBay!

Kind regards,
Arthur

Message 27 of 50
latest reply

@arrowhead10-7 wrote:

@coffeebean832 Does anyone know if you can change the attribute from "card attribute" to one that will be allowed under these new item specifics without going in and basically relisting all the cards? 

Unfortunately the only thing you can do is wipe out all the info and start over. I did more digging and found 2 posts that explain this very well as it relates to the "master record"

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/Variation-listings-what-the-hey/m-p/30182456#M1474978

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling-Q-A/Requires-Unique-Variation-Specifics-and-Item-Specifics/qaq...

FYI tyler@ebay- in case you're still working on that post for tech issues, the 2 links above should help.

Message 28 of 50
latest reply

@coffeebean832 Thank you, I am having no more issues as I am going in and changing the specifics...just trying to see if there was another way to avoid wiping the variation listings out and restarting.  Thank you though. 

Message 29 of 50
latest reply

@arrowhead10-7- I understand and went through the same thing a few years ago- trying to find any way to make it work that didn't involve re-doing the listings. There isn't another way, unfortunately. 😞

Every year I end up with more listings affected by these changes to variation attributes. I have a few listings right now with about 6 years of sales history that need to be redone.

Message 30 of 50
latest reply