cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Updates are happening to some item specifics and category structures

--Final Update, October 28--

The category changes announced in our Fall Seller Update have been completed.

Now that all category changes are complete, while you might still see some adjustments to searches, it is okay to update or edit your listings without concerns of losing data or having it moved again. 

We appreciate your feedback on this roll-out. We'll continue to adjust the process based on the input we’ve received here, and we'll take all of these suggestions into consideration for future updates.

As this project is now complete the post is being locked from further comments. 

Resources and observations

We’ve heard from you that updating your Item Specifics in time for the February 2022 requirement date may be a challenge. 

A useful tool that may help is located in the Seller Hub under Listing>Active. There is a drop-down box labeled ‘Download’ which will generate an Excel document for ‘Missing Required or Recommended Item Specifics’. You can read more about this tool here.

Should you come across any inaccuracies within the new Item Specifics we ask that you report those directly to sdsupport@ebay.com so our team can investigate. Outside of that, please share suggestions as to changes you'd like to see going forward here, selecting the Categories and Item Specifics option.

---Update as of October 19th---

We apologize for this delayed update. Thank you for your patience while our teams worked to finalize category changes. 

All listings have been moved to their final destination categories. You may now proceed with checking your categories, revising items, and updating item specifics where needed. 

Some item specifics have been renamed, and the value you originally provided has been copied over to the new item specific, so you don’t need to re-add these item specifics. We encourage you to update your listings with item specifics that are showing as “Required Soon.” These will become required on February 22, 2022. 

All other item specifics are either Recommended or Optional. Learn more about item specifics. 

Some categories were retired and replaced by product-based categories. You and your buyers can still find the items you’re looking for. Simply browse to the product category of your choice and use the filters to refine your search.

More information about key category changes:

• Dolls & Bears. The categories based on Brand/Material/Theme/Character/Franchise/Product Line/Type of doll have been retired. Former categories have been replaced by left-hand navigation filters in the new Dolls & Doll Playsets category. You can access the filters by browsing to the product category of your choice and using Brand/Vintage/Material/Theme/Character/Franchise/Product Line/Type filters to refine your search. 

• Pottery & Glass. The categories based on Brand/Origin/Production Style/Production Technique have also been replaced by filters. You and buyers can now filter by the Brand/Origin/Production Style/Production Technique/Time Period Manufactured.

• Postcards. The categories based on Location/Theme/Subject have been retired and replaced with two main categories for Topographical and Non-Topographical postcards. The former categories have been replaced by left-hand navigation filters in the two new main categories. For example in Topographical Postcards, you can filter by Country and Region.

• Jewelry & Watches. The categories based on Main Stone and Metal Type have been retired and replaced by product-based categories under Fine Jewelry. Use the filters for Main Stone and Metal to refine your search. 

---Update as of October 14th---
The work continues on this move and is progressing according to plan. We are on track and anticipate all category changes for your listings to be complete by end of day tomorrow (10.15). Thank you for your patience while our teams implement these changes.

---Update as of October 13th---

We continue to work through this change and thank you for your patience as our teams work through it. We wanted to provide answers to some top concerns and questions:

Why are Gallery Plus fees being charged for items that were previously free?

We determined that a technical issue impacted a small number of listings, which resulted in incorrect charges (including Gallery Plus, subtitles, and insertion fees) for some sellers. The issue has been fixed and we will be crediting impacted sellers as quickly as possible. No calls to Customer Service are necessary as credits will be issued automatically.

The eBay Standard Envelope shipping option is grayed out and I can’t select it. When will the issue be resolved?

The eBay Standard Envelope shipping option issue resulted from the category changes update and has been resolved. eBay Standard Envelope is now available in applicable categories if your item meets the established criteria. 

Should I edit my listings if they’re in the wrong category, have been moved to another category, or have wrong or missing item specifics?

No. Recent category changes require updates to many thousands of servers and data changes to nearly every aspect of our platform. This level of adjustment takes time, which is why we asked for your patience while the process runs. We expect most data updates to be completed within 48 hours, but can they take up to a week (i.e., through Oct. 19). After that, if you have an item specific in mind that you think would work well for your listing, please consider adding it as a custom item specific.

Why isn’t my item coming up in search?

The category change update is still in process. We anticipate search issues will resolve when we complete most data updates during the next 24-48 hours. 

There are more item specifics now than ever before. Do I need to fill in all of them?

No. Item specifics that you have already filled in will be maintained as the category moves are completed during the next week. In addition, new soon-to-be-required item specifics are being added and will become required by Feb 22, 2022. As always, the more item specifics you fill out, the better visibility your listing has to buyers. 

For Parts & Accessories, when will fitment/compatibility charts start working again?

There was an issue with parts compatibility not working properly as the category changes rolled out that has been resolved. You should now be able to see the options to add fitment compatibility when editing your listings.

-----------------------------------------------------------

We’re updating some of our categories and item specifics to make your listings easier to find. 

Starting October 12th, you’ll see updates to the following categories. Learn more about category changes →

Collectibles & Art

Jewelry

Musical Instruments

Parts & Accessories

Sporting Goods

As these updates go into effect, you may see temporary impacts to your listing experience or to the visibility of listings in the affected categories.

This is a result of listings transitioning to the updated item specifics and category structures. Your affected listings should return to normal within 48 hours, though you may see irregularities on some listings for up to a week. We recommend checking your item specifics and categories in affected listings after these updates are complete.

These updates also include new item specifics in the above categories, which will be required February 22, 2022. Starting today, these item specifics will be available as you list, with the “Required Soon” tag. Learn more →

Keep an eye on this page over the coming days—we’ll be sharing up-to-date information on affected categories and listings, and answering any questions you have. 

Message 1 of 1,171
latest reply
1,170 REPLIES 1,170

Re: Updates are happening to some item specifics and category structures

The problem is that the people putting these changes together have absolutely no knowledge about what they are working with.  I don't disagree that there was some bad category structure, but it was still better than NO category structure.  This is going to drive a lot of buyers and potential sellers elsewhere.

Message 121 of 1,171
latest reply

You seem so confident.  I am not.  I have been around eBay too long to believe they will do this right.    I can always go elsewhere to buy, but I feel really bad for the sellers here who are losing money due to this travesty.

Message 122 of 1,171
latest reply

We were also charged gallery plus fees on a glass item (heisey) and a pottery plate and afew other things. And those are supposed to all be FREE.  I sent a message to ebay for business on facebook but so far (2 hrs) no answer.    I'll let you know if I hear anything. 

Woadieland
DepressionGlassWarehouse
ebay seller since it was AuctionWeb
Message 123 of 1,171
latest reply

@glassyide wrote:

The problem is that the people putting these changes together have absolutely no knowledge about what they are working with.  I don't disagree that there was some bad category structure, but it was still better than NO category structure.  This is going to drive a lot of buyers and potential sellers elsewhere.

Category structure is being replaced with attribute structure (ie: item specifics). It's a different way to filter search results. Like it or hate it, eBay expects people to adapt to use this site. I generally try to adapt because this is still a great venue for product I sell and I shop here, too.

There are definitely going to be issues with these changes and I'm interested to see what the big ones are after this all settles in a week- mostly relating to how the item specifics are structured.

A seller of model trains posted at the time the Fall update was released that a lot of their category changes don't make sense and questioned how eBay determined the category experts they said they consulted with. I don't know anything about model trains but I'll be looking to see how that category is impacted.

Message 124 of 1,171
latest reply

What you say makes so much sense. 

eBay for years has been trying to shoehorn collector items into the same type of business as new toasters or socks.   Funny thing is, I believe most people don't look for new items like that on eBay.  I buy all that stuff elsewhere, mostly on Amazon, where I don't have to worry about filing a dispute if I get a non-functional item. 

I do look for collector items, however, and eBay has just turned looking into something more cumbersome  than I am willing to spend time on.  Too bad because I had just recently been buying more things here.

Message 125 of 1,171
latest reply

Yes, anyone who sells used items, vintage items, collectibles or hand made will be run off in the end. This is their plan. They are banking on all the new sellers from Sri Lanka and China who drop ship, over charge and sell nothing but junk and coconut shavings.  These are the sellers who will make ebay the new and improved Amazon...very sad. 

Message 126 of 1,171
latest reply

@glassyide wrote:

You seem so confident.  I am not.  I have been around eBay too long to believe they will do this right.    I can always go elsewhere to buy, but I feel really bad for the sellers here who are losing money due to this travesty.

@glassyide- It's not that I'm confident everything will be great. I think it's going to be a long time before everything runs smooth and a really rough transition. I've been through these changes with other categories and the post-change clean up takes a long time.

With regards to collectibles and P&G I think the transition is going to be very painful. Here's why-

Other categories that went through these changes typically had a lot more item specifics filled out before the changes so the transition with search wasn't as bad.

Collectibles, P&G, etc have been historically lacking in item specifics. This means you're not going to find anything in search until sellers fill out those IS. That's where the Feb deadline comes into play- in part. In another part it will be up to sellers to figure out which IS attributes are missing/wrong/etc based on their categories and work with sdsupport@ebay.com to get it up to snuff.

My personal opinion- because of the uniqueness of these categories being so lacking in IS- to make this transition a lot easier for buyers and sellers (buyers especially)- eBay should have implemented item specific changes first- then in a second major update implement the category changes. Like updating the IS now with a Feb deadline- then not changing the categories until the Spring update. (FYI velvet@ebay- please pass on this FB for collectibles categories (and others lacking in Is) that haven't undergone the product-based changes yet.)

Having said all of that- I do think it will get to a better point eventually- though many sellers and buyers in these categories may give up before that happens. 🙁

Message 127 of 1,171
latest reply

Most all of our items are collectible art glass of one sort or another. It all got forced into a "serveware" or a decorative one thing or another category instead of a category under "collectibles". If it is a collectible then it seems after updating listings for a while now that the gallery photo charges of  $1 are correctly not being charged on my items that just automatically renewed. I will have to wait to see if there is a lag time on those charges for the items that just within the last hour auto renewed. The gallery charges are how I found out this had hit our shop. I was getting notifications of $1 charges as items renewed today.

Message 128 of 1,171
latest reply

What a waste of time. Instead of adding Item Specifics why don't you design an app that shows Item Specifics. You say 70% of eBay purchases are made on a phone yet item Specifics are not visible. Hire a 10 year old to make decisions. He'll do a better job than what you have now.

Message 129 of 1,171
latest reply

Attributes/items specifics have been around on eBay for nearly 20 years.   It's a great concept, but if you are going to use attributes in collector categories, it is imperative you have expert advisors from those interest areas and that you listen to their advice.  Back in 2003 or 2004 eBay collapsed all the glass categories and replaced them with an idiotic set of attributes.  The community vomited so violently that they took it all down and put things back they way they were.  It didn't have to happen that way.  It happened because a couple of upper-level management people, who I believe are now long-gone, decided they knew better than category experts. 

Message 130 of 1,171
latest reply

Thanks for that info @soflacollectors86. I looked and all of your listings are in either P&G or Collectibles- both categories do not charge a fee for Gallery Plus- so that confirms these charges are indeed being made in error. It's not because your listing was moved from a category where Gallery Plus was free into a category where Gallery Plus includes a charge.

velvet@ebay- can you please address these erroneous Gallery Plus charges? Will eBay be issuing credits to sellers automatically without them having to contact CS and can we get a formal announcement posted about that?

Message 131 of 1,171
latest reply

P.S. Your products are gorgeous @soflacollectors86 😃

Message 132 of 1,171
latest reply

I started unchecking gallery plus on my listings. This will cost me over $2,000.00 in 30 days. 

Message 133 of 1,171
latest reply

After reading about the gallery plus I went to check if any of my collectibles had that checked now (when previously it didn't) . When I found one, I unchecked and went to update the listing, and it is showing a charge of .35 for the listing, when it is already listed.  I also have 200 listings left for the month but I am worried that all my good til cancelled items that relist each day will start being charged the .35 plus the $1.00 gallery plus that I have never checked on any listing.  Geesh... what a mess.

Message 134 of 1,171
latest reply

Totally agree! i.e. Someone looking for specific antique bisque German dolls...good luck! The actual name and description of the doll takes up all the spaces for the heading, for example "Kestner 221 Baby Doll Original Bonnet Shoes Dress 5-Piece Curved Leg Body." There is no room to say, oh by the way this is an "antique German bisque doll."  What a massive screw up, eBay!

Message 135 of 1,171
latest reply