cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Updates are happening to some item specifics and category structures

--Final Update, October 28--

The category changes announced in our Fall Seller Update have been completed.

Now that all category changes are complete, while you might still see some adjustments to searches, it is okay to update or edit your listings without concerns of losing data or having it moved again. 

We appreciate your feedback on this roll-out. We'll continue to adjust the process based on the input we’ve received here, and we'll take all of these suggestions into consideration for future updates.

As this project is now complete the post is being locked from further comments. 

Resources and observations

We’ve heard from you that updating your Item Specifics in time for the February 2022 requirement date may be a challenge. 

A useful tool that may help is located in the Seller Hub under Listing>Active. There is a drop-down box labeled ‘Download’ which will generate an Excel document for ‘Missing Required or Recommended Item Specifics’. You can read more about this tool here.

Should you come across any inaccuracies within the new Item Specifics we ask that you report those directly to sdsupport@ebay.com so our team can investigate. Outside of that, please share suggestions as to changes you'd like to see going forward here, selecting the Categories and Item Specifics option.

---Update as of October 19th---

We apologize for this delayed update. Thank you for your patience while our teams worked to finalize category changes. 

All listings have been moved to their final destination categories. You may now proceed with checking your categories, revising items, and updating item specifics where needed. 

Some item specifics have been renamed, and the value you originally provided has been copied over to the new item specific, so you don’t need to re-add these item specifics. We encourage you to update your listings with item specifics that are showing as “Required Soon.” These will become required on February 22, 2022. 

All other item specifics are either Recommended or Optional. Learn more about item specifics. 

Some categories were retired and replaced by product-based categories. You and your buyers can still find the items you’re looking for. Simply browse to the product category of your choice and use the filters to refine your search.

More information about key category changes:

• Dolls & Bears. The categories based on Brand/Material/Theme/Character/Franchise/Product Line/Type of doll have been retired. Former categories have been replaced by left-hand navigation filters in the new Dolls & Doll Playsets category. You can access the filters by browsing to the product category of your choice and using Brand/Vintage/Material/Theme/Character/Franchise/Product Line/Type filters to refine your search. 

• Pottery & Glass. The categories based on Brand/Origin/Production Style/Production Technique have also been replaced by filters. You and buyers can now filter by the Brand/Origin/Production Style/Production Technique/Time Period Manufactured.

• Postcards. The categories based on Location/Theme/Subject have been retired and replaced with two main categories for Topographical and Non-Topographical postcards. The former categories have been replaced by left-hand navigation filters in the two new main categories. For example in Topographical Postcards, you can filter by Country and Region.

• Jewelry & Watches. The categories based on Main Stone and Metal Type have been retired and replaced by product-based categories under Fine Jewelry. Use the filters for Main Stone and Metal to refine your search. 

---Update as of October 14th---
The work continues on this move and is progressing according to plan. We are on track and anticipate all category changes for your listings to be complete by end of day tomorrow (10.15). Thank you for your patience while our teams implement these changes.

---Update as of October 13th---

We continue to work through this change and thank you for your patience as our teams work through it. We wanted to provide answers to some top concerns and questions:

Why are Gallery Plus fees being charged for items that were previously free?

We determined that a technical issue impacted a small number of listings, which resulted in incorrect charges (including Gallery Plus, subtitles, and insertion fees) for some sellers. The issue has been fixed and we will be crediting impacted sellers as quickly as possible. No calls to Customer Service are necessary as credits will be issued automatically.

The eBay Standard Envelope shipping option is grayed out and I can’t select it. When will the issue be resolved?

The eBay Standard Envelope shipping option issue resulted from the category changes update and has been resolved. eBay Standard Envelope is now available in applicable categories if your item meets the established criteria. 

Should I edit my listings if they’re in the wrong category, have been moved to another category, or have wrong or missing item specifics?

No. Recent category changes require updates to many thousands of servers and data changes to nearly every aspect of our platform. This level of adjustment takes time, which is why we asked for your patience while the process runs. We expect most data updates to be completed within 48 hours, but can they take up to a week (i.e., through Oct. 19). After that, if you have an item specific in mind that you think would work well for your listing, please consider adding it as a custom item specific.

Why isn’t my item coming up in search?

The category change update is still in process. We anticipate search issues will resolve when we complete most data updates during the next 24-48 hours. 

There are more item specifics now than ever before. Do I need to fill in all of them?

No. Item specifics that you have already filled in will be maintained as the category moves are completed during the next week. In addition, new soon-to-be-required item specifics are being added and will become required by Feb 22, 2022. As always, the more item specifics you fill out, the better visibility your listing has to buyers. 

For Parts & Accessories, when will fitment/compatibility charts start working again?

There was an issue with parts compatibility not working properly as the category changes rolled out that has been resolved. You should now be able to see the options to add fitment compatibility when editing your listings.

-----------------------------------------------------------

We’re updating some of our categories and item specifics to make your listings easier to find. 

Starting October 12th, you’ll see updates to the following categories. Learn more about category changes →

Collectibles & Art

Jewelry

Musical Instruments

Parts & Accessories

Sporting Goods

As these updates go into effect, you may see temporary impacts to your listing experience or to the visibility of listings in the affected categories.

This is a result of listings transitioning to the updated item specifics and category structures. Your affected listings should return to normal within 48 hours, though you may see irregularities on some listings for up to a week. We recommend checking your item specifics and categories in affected listings after these updates are complete.

These updates also include new item specifics in the above categories, which will be required February 22, 2022. Starting today, these item specifics will be available as you list, with the “Required Soon” tag. Learn more →

Keep an eye on this page over the coming days—we’ll be sharing up-to-date information on affected categories and listings, and answering any questions you have. 

Message 1 of 1,171
latest reply
1,170 REPLIES 1,170

Great!  So how does ebay plan on making up for our lost income?  I've never seen sales this abysmal and I've been on here through it all!

Message 2 of 1,171
latest reply

How will these changes affect our store subscriptions for additional listings in select categories? I sell only in collectables (glass) and get 250 free listings with my store subscription. Will this continue even though my "select category" is discontinued?

Message 3 of 1,171
latest reply

This is so crazy....why do you guys keep making all these changes? now my jewelry no longer allows promoted listings.... don't you realize all the accounts you will be losing over this? I am about to leave myself there is other venues out there that don't make things so complicated

Message 4 of 1,171
latest reply

you have just eliminated all the makers of collectable glassware. How is that an improvement

Message 5 of 1,171
latest reply

vintagejemz
Adventurer

Guess what? I just wrote a long complaint about all my listed items affected, pressed reply, aaand "ERROR"  Everything lost. So in short I think ebay should refund sellers listing fees in the affected categories. I can't edit the item specifics, I can't promote listings and can't press sell similar and make changes. It's awful.

Message 6 of 1,171
latest reply

My items are collectibles which gave me free 'large photo' upgrade normally, now with the new categories changes, every item that have that auto relists have a "Gallery Plus" upgrade fee which is now costing me 68$ so far. Will these charges be reversed??

Message 7 of 1,171
latest reply

If I hadn't randomly come to the discussion boards, I would have never known many of my listings are mussed up. Second one I checked wasn't even in the right category anymore.

I'm...

...so disappointed. 

Message 8 of 1,171
latest reply

Ebay standard envelope has disappeared as a shipping option for numerous postcard listings.  They are defaulting to Media mail.   

Offers on postcards that are below the minimum I'd accept are not being automatically declined.    

Please fix these issues.

Message 9 of 1,171
latest reply

What you did to the doll category is ridiculous!  You lump almost 2 million doll listings into one "doll and doll playsets" place?  With no way to break that down by age, brand,  material, anything?  How is this going to be helpful to anyone...buyers or sellers?  In addition to having to rely strictly  on keywords to try to find what I am looking for, you've made it impossible to just browse the various doll categories.  I don't have the time or inclination to browse 2 million listings.  I am not getting any younger and that would take my  life!  I hope you listen to your customers and rethink whoever made this ill thought out decision.  If you are planning to make major changes to categories like this, why do you not ask for feedback from your customers beforehand?  Why would you not seek their input?  This is more than just "some people hate change"...this has made it too impossible and time consuming to find what I want.  Sometimes change is not always for the better.

Message 10 of 1,171
latest reply

I have 16 in the collectables->postcards that this has happened to in the last 12 hours.

Message 11 of 1,171
latest reply

This has occurred in the last 12 hours for one of my postcards, no standard envelope offered, defaulted to priority mail.

Message 12 of 1,171
latest reply

And, of course, postcards are not allowed to be shipped as USPS Media mail, so what eBay IT drop-out thought up THAT one!!!

Message 13 of 1,171
latest reply

😊😍good 

Message 14 of 1,171
latest reply

@art_young_collection wrote:

My items are collectibles which gave me free 'large photo' upgrade normally, now with the new categories changes, every item that have that auto relists have a "Gallery Plus" upgrade fee which is now costing me 68$ so far. Will these charges be reversed??

Today I noticed a $1.00 "Gallery Plus" charge for a postcard listed in a Collectibles category.  I called Customer Support and got this charge reversed.  Hopefully this "glitch" will be fixed soon, as I have hundreds of listings.

Message 15 of 1,171
latest reply