cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Updated Community Guidelines

sheila@ebay
eBay Staff (Alumni)

Hello Community,

We want to make the Community a safe and enjoyable place for all to come participate and learn from one another. The Community team has recently updated the Community Guidelines. You can find them here.

I'll keep this post up for until the end of day on July 6th for feedback on the Guidelines.

Thank you for participating in Community!

Sheila
Community Manager
eBay
Message 1 of 241
latest reply
240 REPLIES 240

Re: Updated Community Guidelines

@silverstatetreasureboxes wrote:

sheila@ebay 

I believe a lot of posters here actually enjoy a break from selling problems and relish a good sourcing story on the selling board. There has been numerous topics about flea markets, garage sales, most expensive item sold etc posted and these posts have had great responses. As long as it pertains to selling leave it on the selling board. 

The problem I see with that is those who like to chitchat will be keeping those topics always on top resulting in very few questions answered from people who actually come here with questions about selling. Why not have a separate board for just selling chitchat topics.

Message 16 of 241
latest reply

sheila@ebay 

i asked couple questions bellw if you could comment. I also have another question

When my message is moderated or community account suspended, are my sales affected/is my selling account affected? 

i read policies and there is link https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/member-behaviour-policies/profanity-policy?id=4258  — I took screenshot of the page it takes me to. It says that listings maybe demoted, hidden etc if the policy is violated. So if someone reports me for saying „knock it off”or „get life „ then my account maybe suspended and my listings demoted, hidden etc, right?

so in other words it is better not to participate because you may end up being reported (maybe unfairly) and loose sales.908715EB-D0AF-4F4A-8B79-341313914189.jpeg

Message 17 of 241
latest reply

That has nothing to do with the Community boards.

Message 18 of 241
latest reply

@maxine*j 

wrote: Frankly, this concerns me.  It has always been the policy that the boards are not for buying and selling.  Despite that, people constantly try to do so.  

It's here every day the "why don't I have any sales thread?" ...smh

Message 19 of 241
latest reply

@valueaddedresource 

People will receive better CS on these boards than the CS that ebay provides.  Just my opinion. 

Message 20 of 241
latest reply

@nobody*s_perfect wrote:

@toomuchstuffagain35 wrote:

The piles of stuff you bought but haven't gotten around to listing yet.

aka "inventory creep" when there's more coming in than there is going out.

Thanks for the clarification. I thought it might mean the stock that I got from helping to clean out dead relatives' stuff.

Well they could be one and the same!  I have a living room full of stuff from my mother in law's move into assisted living.

lisa5768
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 21 of 241
latest reply

@ckimodog wrote:

@maxine*j 

wrote: Frankly, this concerns me.  It has always been the policy that the boards are not for buying and selling.  Despite that, people constantly try to do so.  

It's here every day the "why don't I have any sales thread?" ...smh

And imagine if it were given the go-ahead, if people were encouraged to use the boards "to find items to purchase... and it were "appropriate to respond... with listings, products, or services."

I'd say the boards would be doomed.

Message 22 of 241
latest reply

@coolections 

Open for suggestions always but we all know that the selling board is the popular kid on the block. How bout designating Thursdays as Open selling topic day. Any interesting selling topic starts on Thursdays and runs thru the weekend ( which we all know the weekends are slow and boring) How would you feel about that?

Message 23 of 241
latest reply

@ckimodog wrote:

@valueaddedresource 

People will receive better CS on these boards than the CS that ebay provides.  Just my opinion. 

@ckimodog I absolutely agree with that, no question. 😊

It's just something I've seen come up in the past when people come here looking for answers or seeking official eBay customer service.

The previous version of the rules was very clear that this is not considered an official support channel and in fact explicitly pointed users to the official channels with links to help and contact pages.

While the new version still keeps the "peer to peer" language, it's a little less clear on official support status.

In my opinion, that could lead to confusion and regular users (especially mentors) having to explain to new users that this is not a support channel even more than we already see here.

Message 24 of 241
latest reply

@silverstatetreasureboxes wrote:

sheila@ebay 

Hi Sheila, I believe a lot of posters here actually enjoy a break from selling problems and relish a good sourcing story on the selling board. There has been numerous topics about flea markets, garage sales, most expensive item sold etc posted and these posts have had great responses. As long as it pertains to selling leave it on the selling board.

Please don't create off topic boards that nobody visits and it just sits there and melts. Thank you Sheila.

The Selling board is for selling issues, the Buying board is for buying issues, the Shipping board is for shipping issues.

It's the threads about someone's birthday or Flag Day or whatever--those could be on their own board. Some people feel a need to have cyber-friends, and there should be a place for them to do that. Just not on the main topic-oriented discussion boards.

Message 25 of 241
latest reply

sheila@ebay 

Does this mean we can report all the negative threads that are started; that end (or start, sometimes titled) with 'we should do a class action lawsuit'. 

(not sure if the 'old' used to state what is now stated about 'lawsuits'. 

Message 26 of 241
latest reply

@stainlessenginecovers wrote:

sheila@ebay 

Does this mean we can report all the negative threads that are started; that end (or start, sometimes titled) with 'we should do a class action lawsuit'. 

For reference - here's the old version from the Internet Archive.

https://web.archive.org/web/20220519123342/https://community.ebay.com/t5/About-the-Community/Rules-o...

Message 27 of 241
latest reply

@stainlessenginecovers wrote:

sheila@ebay 

That's the way it reads to me . . . that one's going to keep the mods busy!

Capture.PNG

Message 28 of 241
latest reply

Oh--thanks for posting that link!

Message 29 of 241
latest reply

I was addressing Sheila, she was open for suggestions. 

Message 30 of 241
latest reply