cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Updated Community Guidelines

sheila@ebay
eBay Staff (Alumni)

Hello Community,

We want to make the Community a safe and enjoyable place for all to come participate and learn from one another. The Community team has recently updated the Community Guidelines. You can find them here.

I'll keep this post up for until the end of day on July 6th for feedback on the Guidelines.

Thank you for participating in Community!

Sheila
Community Manager
eBay
Message 1 of 241
latest reply
240 REPLIES 240

ok.

good luck with that..

("Winter Is Coming")
Message 2 of 241
latest reply

I see this has been added to approved content:

Share, celebrate… and have fun!

Buying and selling on eBay isn’t the only thing that is important to you. Share your hobby, or complain about your pet peeve. Celebrate your latest thrifting score, or post a death pile photo. This community welcomes hearing about your latest personal triumph, a moment where you need support, or just an amazing meal you made (in the appropriate forum). This community is designed to connect people, and the more we get to know each other, the more our businesses will grow together. 

On what board are those things welcomed............... "(in the appropriate forum)"............?  Are those things still "off topic" for the Selling, Buying, etc Boards?

Message 3 of 241
latest reply

It's a lot harder to read. The old version was more concise.

I would have put more focus on what is not allowed.

Message 4 of 241
latest reply

I noticed the part about the community not being a dedicated customer service channel has been taken out.

Does that mean eBay is recognizing the community as an official customer service channel?

Message 5 of 241
latest reply

What the bleep is a "death pile"?

Message 6 of 241
latest reply

The piles of stuff you bought but haven't gotten around to listing yet.

aka "inventory creep" when there's more coming in than there is going out.

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley
"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley
Message 7 of 241
latest reply

@dhbookds wrote:

I see this has been added to approved content:

Share, celebrate… and have fun!

Buying and selling on eBay isn’t the only thing that is important to you. Share your hobby, or complain about your pet peeve. Celebrate your latest thrifting score, or post a death pile photo. This community welcomes hearing about your latest personal triumph, a moment where you need support, or just an amazing meal you made (in the appropriate forum). This community is designed to connect people, and the more we get to know each other, the more our businesses will grow together. 

On what board are those things welcomed............... "(in the appropriate forum)"............?  Are those things still "off topic" for the Selling, Buying, etc Boards?

Topics like showing off a 'death pile' (pile of stuff you want to sell) or a thrifting shop score or you want to show off a newly purchased item from eBay are okay to post on the respective boards.

You're right. We're missing a board for off-topics like hobbies or the personal triumph I mentioned. Give me a little time and I'll get that type of board up. 

Sheila
Community Manager
eBay
Message 8 of 241
latest reply

@valueaddedresource wrote:

I noticed the part about the community not being a dedicated customer service channel has been taken out.

Does that mean eBay is recognizing the community as an official customer service channel?

@valueaddedresource the Community isn't a dedicated customer service channel.

Sheila
Community Manager
eBay
Message 9 of 241
latest reply

@toomuchstuffagain35 wrote:

Thanks for the clarification. I thought it might mean the stock that I got from helping to clean out dead relatives' stuff.

Message 10 of 241
latest reply

@nobody*s_perfect wrote:

@toomuchstuffagain35 wrote:

Thanks for the clarification. I thought it might mean the stock that I got from helping to clean out dead relatives' stuff.

😂  That's classic. Awesome.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 11 of 241
latest reply

sheila@ebay 

You're right. We're missing a board for off-topics like hobbies or the personal triumph I mentioned. Give me a little time and I'll get that type of board up.

Just a suggestion....................why not take a poll and see if people WANT an Off Topic Board? 

Message 12 of 241
latest reply

I still don’t know how am I being safe from false reports (or exeggerations in them) and attacks when complaining.
Who decides  what is „dishonest, unsubstantiated, or designed to mislead” and how is it decided? Do you have a cheat sheet?

Are false reporters getting consequences for making false or exeggerted reports ?
Are there any rules to suspensions ?

Can I place complaint of false report and unfair suspension?

who are „honorable contributors”? Do you have a list or a definition?

Message 13 of 241
latest reply

From tne new guidelines:

"Get the help you need.

"Please ask for recommendations for tools to help run your business, to find items to purchase, or to share your items or listings to get feedback or provide examples to other users. It’s appropriate for users to also respond to these types of questions with listings, products, or services."

Frankly, this concerns me.  It has always been the policy that the boards are not for buying and selling.  Despite that, people constantly try to do so.  

Now it seems eBay is inviting such activity.  If the forums become the place for "Want to Buy" and "Wish to Sell," such activity will overwhelm every other type of inquiry or discussion. and render the boards pretty useless. 

Or at least that is my opinion.

Message 14 of 241
latest reply

sheila@ebay 

Hi Sheila, I believe a lot of posters here actually enjoy a break from selling problems and relish a good sourcing story on the selling board. There has been numerous topics about flea markets, garage sales, most expensive item sold etc posted and these posts have had great responses. As long as it pertains to selling leave it on the selling board.

Please don't create off topic boards that nobody visits and it just sits there and melts. Thank you Sheila.

Message 15 of 241
latest reply