cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unfair eBay Decision to Seller

Bought and used the new shipping/tracking label from eBay and payed the USPS/eBay calculated price for it. The post office at destination asked for 40 cents more from the buyer.

When I was told by the irate customer I offered to refund the difference of the 40 cents.

Buyer responds with NO but wants "pay for my time to run home to get the money.

Also, pay for my car, the gas to the post office - my time waiting AND the 40 cents.

Then gives me nasty negative feedback. Cost me higher eBay fees, knocks my rating down.

All this from using the eBay tracking label. This label was inaccurately calculated

I write to eBay and they side with the buyer and will not remove feedback and what goes with it.

After being with eBay for more than 20 years  I've had it and I have decided to wind down my shop and my purchases with eBay.  They can be so unfair.

Message 1 of 51
latest reply
50 REPLIES 50

Yup, sounds like non-machinable surcharge. Apparently the buyer really needed that item, as if they did partake in the use of such before getting to the PO they would have been a bit more mellow about 40 cents.

Message 16 of 51
latest reply

I offered a refund but he wanted to get paid for running home to get 40cents, (he didn't have 40 cents on him) His gas, his time doing this and his time going and waiting at the post office and going home and the 40cents too. Buyer is mental.

Message 17 of 51
latest reply

It was weighed correctly. Less than an ounce and less than a quarter inch thick. It's the PO.

Message 18 of 51
latest reply

I'll join the voters for the non-machineable surcharge.

Roach clips will definitely make an envelope non-machineable,

Message 19 of 51
latest reply

I would have given him a buck without hesitation but not after his unreasonable request and then his hateful response on the feedback board just because I refused to accommodate his stupid request.  There is just so much s---t   a seller should be expected to take. It aint worth the few pennies made.

He wanted a refund for his time, gas and the 40cents too. Guy is a clown.

Message 20 of 51
latest reply

Yes if someone is trying to get stupid on me and become abusive. Yes I will act that way.

He had too run home to get 40 cents? 

The point is eBay does not protect sellers from these kind of buyers. It's not the 40cents

Message 21 of 51
latest reply

Yes you said it right -the buyer could have been more mellow about it. It wasn't the 40 cents. It was the buyers attitude. It was full of hate.

Message 22 of 51
latest reply

@zobal99 wrote:

He had too run home to get 40 cents? 

Not everyone carries cash/change on them unless they're expecting to use it. Picking up your mail at the PO is not an "expecting to have to use cash/change" situation.

Message 23 of 51
latest reply

Going to play the devil's advocate here.

The indignant person didn't have to "run home to get 40 cents".

He could have simply refused the package then and there. No worry about running home, no worry about not having cash on hand or waiting at the post office. !!!

Message 24 of 51
latest reply

@zobal99 

Just to be clear:  What exactly were you attempting to ship?

If you were attempting to use the eBay Standard Envelope (ESE), it is intended ONLY to ship trading cards, stamps, postcards, paper currency, coins, patches, stickers, greeting cards and seed packets.

Several individuals on this thread have suggested that you were attempting to ship a roach clip, which is obviously not included amongst the items listed.

Additionally, a roach clip would not be USPS envelope machinable, since the ESEs are required to be VERY flexible, bending nearly in half, to speed through the automatic sorting system, which reportedly handles 32,000 envelopes per hour.

Thus a non-machinable envelope would be charged an extra 40 cents.

So what did you attempt to ship?

Message 25 of 51
latest reply

Thanks but you just don't get it. I am not objecting to the mail at all-the 40 cents or anything like that. It's not the money or the mail.

This person was not happy getting a reimbursement-this buyer wanted me to reimburse him for his time to go home to get his 40 cents and the time at the PO and the gas for his car AND the 40cents. He said he had to RUN HOME TO GET THE MONEY. 40 cents. I don't respond to crazies.  ( I might be making a buck and a half on this sale but that's not the point). Because I don't respond to crazies, he put a nasty and hateful neg feedback on eBay even though I was nice to this person and offered reimbursement.  When I brought this to the attention of eBay they did not stand up for me. As a result, and this is what bothered me the most, eBay allowed his nasty and hateful neg. feedback and sided with the buyer even though he acted inappropriately to a seller.

Message 26 of 51
latest reply

Well yes the buyer totally overreacted, but the exaggerated inconvenience was your fault, which is probably why eBay won't remove the neg.  The buyer is also saying "I'm not objecting to the 40 cents..." Lesson: Don't mail non-flat objects in eBay's "Standard envelope" or as letters.

Message 27 of 51
latest reply

According to their feedback, it was a roach clip.

Message 28 of 51
latest reply

Ebay will not allow you to give anything less than $1 in a refund amount. Unfortunately, you used the wrong packaging to mail the item out, so ebay isn't going to remove the neg. Looking at your fb it seems that you should use another form of packaging to ship your roach clips, and ship on time. That would alleviate some of your issues.  

Good luck to you. 

Message 29 of 51
latest reply

Much ado about so little. 40 cents! But given your responses  to feedback and your apparent bending of policy by shopping standard envelope you got a negative. So be it 

Message 30 of 51
latest reply