cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USPS won't scan more than 5 packages

Does eBay have any comment about USPS now not scanning more than 5 packages? There will of course be exceptions on this, but it's said that this is word from corporate. They want to force everyone to use bulk shipping with scan forms.

Message 1 of 77
latest reply
76 REPLIES 76

Re: USPS won't scan more than 5 packages

wrote:

I told one of the clecks yesterday what I was going through with my missing packages, I said now you know why I wait in line everyday for a scan and a receipt.   

In fact, they can print receipts wirelessly from their portable scanner, too, so that any employees working the line can take the package from you, scan it and issue a receipt for it on the spot. 

20150415_165815.jpg

This photo from 2015 shows the equipment they were using in one of the Chicago post offices to do this. There is a portable label printer at upper left, portable receipt printer at upper center (which had just spit out the receipt shown here), and the portable scanner at upper right that drives it all. Neat and quick.

Not all Post Offices have the fancy gadgets or extra manpower --- in the little bitty town I moved to not long ago it is a single window counter with one clerk --- larger places are 25 miles away

There have been times the wait was 15 minutes or more --- lots of retired folks getting Money Orders, licking Stamps, and asking for help on packages going to loved ones

The Millennials have so much to learn ...

Message 46 of 77
latest reply

My first experience with a scan sheet turned into an expensive disaster.   I did 20 labels, one scan form, and before I went out I discovered that I'd made an error on one of the packages.

I voided the label and created a new label.

I brought the scan form and the isolated package with me to the post office.

They scanned both and shortly I got a notice from USPS that my first VOIDED label was invalid because it had been processed per the scan form.

Thus I paid for 2 labels, only one of which I actually used.  It was going cross country so the duplicate expense was $12+

To this day I don't know what I could have done to void just one label that had already done into a 20 item scan form and still present the scan form without the void being unvoided.

THIS SPACE LEFT INTENTIONALLY BLANK
Message 47 of 77
latest reply

No scan sheet. Called USPS because I had issues with local post office not scanning and state center was sitting on packages for a week before scan made me look like I mailed late.

I was told they have to scan and also give me a receipt. Now I do that and they scan even 20 pcs and print a receipt after. 

Not an issue. You paid for the label, they are obligated to scan at acceptance if there is a tracking on it. 

Message 48 of 77
latest reply

@rixstuff: Are you in Houston? Sounds just like my service.
Message 49 of 77
latest reply

My PO has the self serve package drop, but I often go to the counter and they are pretty **bleep** about making sure the weight is right on each package. Sometimes they offer to scan them later if I want to leave them. I had a friend have an expensive package go missing that never got scanned in so no insurance. If it is expensive I always get it scanned in. At least that way it shows PO took possesion of box. I have taken in 3 bags of packages at a time and they scan them all, not happy about it but they do it.

Message 50 of 77
latest reply

Only way that I see scanning more packages being a problem is if they ar being don at a POS office where each package is being put on the scale, inputting all the info, and printing out a receipt.  That does take time, and backs the lines up.

I seldom drop at a POS office, so it is done with the hand held scanner, and is fast.

Most are picked up by my carrier.  Scanned, and tossed into the back seat faster than he could by counting the packages to compare to the sheet total, scanning the sheet, and tossing them into the back seat.

3 accounts in the household, printed on 2 diffferent days could result in up to 6 scan sheets for 6 packages. Never have done a scan sheet. 

We are lucky in our area. All offices are A + in the area of scanning. Also our packages make it to the regional facility, and are processed before 11:59:59, so the scans would be done timely either way.  No scan before hitting there. They get done at the regional facility with an additional default scan showing the zip of the office indicated as mailing from on the label.

Message 51 of 77
latest reply

I rarely have so many packages they'd require a scan sheet. The few times I've brought a scan sheet into my branch, their attempt to scan it failed. I don't know why, but the scan gun wouldn't work with it. Another time, the clerk didn't even know what it was! All I did was waste my ink and paper.
Message 52 of 77
latest reply

wrote:

I told one of the clecks yesterday what I was going through with my missing packages, I said now you know why I wait in line everyday for a scan and a receipt.   

In fact, they can print receipts wirelessly from their portable scanner, too, so that any employees working the line can take the package from you, scan it and issue a receipt for it on the spot. 

20150415_165815.jpg

This photo from 2015 shows the equipment they were using in one of the Chicago post offices to do this. There is a portable label printer at upper left, portable receipt printer at upper center (which had just spit out the receipt shown here), and the portable scanner at upper right that drives it all. Neat and quick.

I know, my PO has that too. Regardless who does it, they think scanning prepaids are a waste of time. They just don't want to do it. That's why I susgested the machine, or let us use the scanners.  

Message 53 of 77
latest reply

My PO has the self serve package drop, but I often go to the counter and they are pretty **bleep** about making sure the weight is right on each package.

Yes, some are; some aren't. One lady at our local PO said they're also supposed to squint very carefully at the First Class International label to make very sure that we've signed the Customs declaration on that teeny tiny line in the lower left corner. She looked so pleased when she found that I had signed mine properly. Felt like I was back in grade school turning in my homework... which I kind of was... Smiley Very Happy

Generally speaking, though, our place has one hand scanner behind the counter that they all share as needed, and some of the clerks choose to use their POS terminal while others go for the hand-held instead. Seems to be a matter of personal preference, and it's all the same to me. In either case, they zip through the process in nothing flat, and I'll hear the beep on my way out before I even reach the door.

Message 54 of 77
latest reply

Regardless who does it, they think scanning prepaids are a waste of time. They just don't want to do it.   

They don't understand the significance of it, and they don't understand that it's the shortest and simplest transaction: no money changes hands; they simply check in a package.

That's why I suggested the machine, or let us use the scanners.  

Yeah, really... In fact, the downtown PO leaves their red datestamp on the counter for anyone who needs a datestamped cancellation (there are a lot of legal outfits downtown doing last-minute mailings near 5:00). All we need is some permanently affixed scanner near the drop box. 

Message 55 of 77
latest reply

wrote:

My first experience with a scan sheet turned into an expensive disaster.   I did 20 labels, one scan form, and before I went out I discovered that I'd made an error on one of the packages.

They scanned both and shortly I got a notice from USPS that my first VOIDED label was invalid because it had been processed per the scan form.

Thus I paid for 2 labels, only one of which I actually used.  It was going cross country so the duplicate expense was $12+

To this day I don't know what I could have done to void just one label that had already done into a 20 item scan form and still present the scan form without the void being unvoided.

There was nothing you could do other than not use that SCAN form.  The package was associated with it.  Once you had the SCAN form accepted, it in turn accepted that label - thus your void request was denied because USPS sees it as Used.

It's a one shot deal using the eBay SCAN form.  I don't know about Stamps and USPS.com (I don't use either)

Message 56 of 77
latest reply

wrote:

wrote:

20150415_165815.jpg

Not all Post Offices have the fancy gadgets or extra manpower --- in the little bitty town I moved to not long ago it is a single window counter with one clerk --- larger places are 25 miles away

There have been times the wait was 15 minutes or more --- lots of retired folks getting Money Orders, licking Stamps, and asking for help on packages going to loved ones

You are correct.  Just under 10% of usps locations have the MPOS [mobile point of sale] system.  There's a recent report on the system form 2017  describing how it has not been implemented in a consistent fashion so it pays for a seller using it to be knowledgeable about it and how it works to a degree.  The major flaws were inadequate training and too many staff non-users given access to it.  https://docs.google.com/viewer?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.uspsoig.gov%2Fsites%2Fdefault%2Ffiles%2Fdocumen...

That said, I have it available at my local PO and the lobby assistant [the person in the red vest who assists with the ATM machines and making sure customers waiting are prepped by the time they get to the counter] and she is great on using it.  I have been actively using the service since 2014 and it has really speeded up my wait times.  It is limited to domestic parcels so if I have an international  I wait in the regular line. 

Message 57 of 77
latest reply

wrote:
Regardless who does it, they think scanning prepaids are a waste of time. They just don't want to do it.   

They don't understand the significance of it, and they don't understand that it's the shortest and simplest transaction: no money changes hands; they simply check in a package.

That's why I suggested the machine, or let us use the scanners.  

Yeah, really... In fact, the downtown PO leaves their red datestamp on the counter for anyone who needs a datestamped cancellation (there are a lot of legal outfits downtown doing last-minute mailings near 5:00). All we need is some permanently affixed scanner near the drop box. 

I can see it now --- a dishonest person scans the box, leaves with it, then waits a few days to file the insurance claim for the "lost" package ...

Message 58 of 77
latest reply

wrote:

wrote:

wrote:

20150415_165815.jpg

You are correct.  Just under 10% of usps locations have the MPOS [mobile point of sale] system.  There's a recent report on the system form 2017  describing how it has not been implemented in a consistent fashion so it pays for a seller using it to be knowledgeable about it and how it works to a degree.  The major flaws were inadequate training and too many staff non-users given access to it.  https://docs.google.com/viewer?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.uspsoig.gov%2Fsites%2Fdefault%2Ffiles%2Fdocumen...

That said, I have it available at my local PO and the lobby assistant [the person in the red vest who assists with the ATM machines and making sure customers waiting are prepped by the time they get to the counter] and she is great on using it.  I have been actively using the service since 2014 and it has really speeded up my wait times.  It is limited to domestic parcels so if I have an international  I wait in the regular line. 

Seriously --- your Post Office has a person who stands there doing a "pre-check" ???

Don't know where you are but my guess would be an upscale neighborhood ...

Message 59 of 77
latest reply

wrote:

wrote:

There was nothing you could do other than not use that SCAN form.  The package was associated with it.  Once you had the SCAN form accepted, it in turn accepted that label - thus your void request was denied because USPS sees it as Used.

It's a one shot deal using the eBay SCAN form.  I don't know about Stamps and USPS.com (I don't use either)

Or any SCAN form.

Which is also why I don't use or need them at any warehouse. We have a daily USPS bulk pickup and they don't even ask for it.