cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USPS won't scan more than 5 packages

Does eBay have any comment about USPS now not scanning more than 5 packages? There will of course be exceptions on this, but it's said that this is word from corporate. They want to force everyone to use bulk shipping with scan forms.

Message 1 of 77
latest reply
76 REPLIES 76

That said, I have it available at my local PO and the lobby assistant [the person in the red vest who assists with the ATM machines and making sure customers waiting are prepped by the time they get to the counter] and she is great on using it.  I have been actively using the service since 2014 and it has really speeded up my wait times.  It is limited to domestic parcels so if I have an international  I wait in the regular line. 

Seriously --- your Post Office has a person who stands there doing a "pre-check" ???

Don't know where you are but my guess would be an upscale neighborhood ...

I'd say most any busy larger post office has them, at least on days when they know they're going to be slammed. (Okay, I'm sure there are plenty more places where the customers wish they had them. Smiley Happy) The downtown Chicago POs sometimes post a red-vested helper during the lunch hour and the evening rush.

Message 61 of 77
latest reply

To my surprise today when I dropped off my packages at the PO, there was a person standing in the lobby scanning prepaid's. LOL  Every time I fill out a survey I request a scanner be put in the lobby that prints receipts, so we can scan our own packages and not annoy anyone.  For now they are using a person, hopefully soon a machine. 

Message 62 of 77
latest reply

I've brought more than 20 at a time and never had any problem. Sounds like you have a lazy postmaster.

Message 63 of 77
latest reply

Message 64 of 77
latest reply

Can you give us an update as to whether or not "USPS now not scanning more than 5 packages" is actually a legitimate new USPS policy?

Message 65 of 77
latest reply

Can you give us an update as to whether or not "USPS now not scanning more than 5 packages" is actually a legitimate new USPS policy?

It's nonsense. Any such rule would be posted with an average of 38 signs per post office, including all the doors and every window at the front counter, although it would be enforced as effectively as the Ten Items or Less line at the supermarket, unless the clerks plan to stand around arguing with customers all the time.

Plus, as I said, it's the shortest possible transaction in the first place. When arguing about it consumes more time than simply doing it and moving on to the next customer, that suggests that their concern is misguided.

It has all the earmarks of some local autocrat's directive. If there's anything on-line in writing resembling that, I'll be surprised.

Message 66 of 77
latest reply

wrote:

There was nothing you could do other than not use that SCAN form.  The package was associated with it.  Once you had the SCAN form accepted, it in turn accepted that label - thus your void request was denied because USPS sees it as Used.

It's a one shot deal using the eBay SCAN form.  I don't know about Stamps and USPS.com (I don't use either)

Or any SCAN form.

Which is also why I don't use or need them at any warehouse. We have a daily USPS bulk pickup and they don't even ask for it.

@d-k_treasures

Yes, once the PO scans the SCAN form, it's used.  That latter part was referring to generating another eBay SCAN form as an answer to this:

"To this day I don't know what I could have done to void just one label that had already done into a 20 item scan form and still present the scan form without the void being unvoided."

It was a one shot deal to obtain a SCAN form through eBay - and is not selective.  (Heck, you can't even reprint it).   I wasn't sure about Stamps and USPS - if it was possible to generate another SCAN form removing the voided label.  It is not.  

This, from Stamps, is actually quite plainly written:

To ensure package information is not duplicated, updates or changes cannot be made once a SCAN Form is printed. Examples of an update or change include adding or removing packages associated with the printed SCAN Form. If you make an update or change, your SCAN Form is no longer valid and all packages associated with that form must be scanned individually.

Message 67 of 77
latest reply

wrote:

It's nonsense. Any such rule would be posted with an average of 38 signs per post office, including all the doors and every window at the front counter, although it would be enforced as effectively as the Ten Items or Less line at the supermarket, unless the clerks plan to stand around arguing with customers all the time.

Plus, as I said, it's the shortest possible transaction in the first place. When arguing about it consumes more time than simply doing it and moving on to the next customer, that suggests that their concern is misguided.

It has all the earmarks of some local autocrat's directive. If there's anything on-line in writing resembling that, I'll be surprised.

The whole thing is misguided and counterproductive ... don't they understand that they get credit for the volume that they are doing ... and that proof of their volume of packages is an acceptance scan?

I would think that a busy PO would want to prove how busy they actually are ...

Station Supervisor: "Why can't I get an extra counter clerk?? We're getting buried here"

USPS Brass: "Your Metrics don't show the volume that you claim"

penguins_dont_fly is a Volunteer Community Mentor
Buying and Selling since 2013

Message 68 of 77
latest reply

wrote:

wrote:

There was nothing you could do other than not use that SCAN form.  The package was associated with it.  Once you had the SCAN form accepted, it in turn accepted that label - thus your void request was denied because USPS sees it as Used.

It's a one shot deal using the eBay SCAN form.  I don't know about Stamps and USPS.com (I don't use either)

Or any SCAN form.

Which is also why I don't use or need them at any warehouse. We have a daily USPS bulk pickup and they don't even ask for it.

@d-k_treasures

Yes, once the PO scans the SCAN form, it's used.  That latter part was referring to generating another eBay SCAN form as an answer to this:

"To this day I don't know what I could have done to void just one label that had already done into a 20 item scan form and still present the scan form without the void being unvoided."

It was a one shot deal to obtain a SCAN form through eBay - and is not selective.  (Heck, you can't even reprint it).   I wasn't sure about Stamps and USPS - if it was possible to generate another SCAN form removing the voided label.  It is not.  

This, from Stamps, is actually quite plainly written:

To ensure package information is not duplicated, updates or changes cannot be made once a SCAN Form is printed. Examples of an update or change include adding or removing packages associated with the printed SCAN Form. If you make an update or change, your SCAN Form is no longer valid and all packages associated with that form must be scanned individually.

@lintbrush*

Yes - that's why I said 'any SCAN form' - of course, I could have put that cleared ar you did. Once one is generated, you can't do anything with the packages on it. That's why we don't use them in the warehouses. And no one from USPS has ever asked for them since we have daily separate scheduled pickups.

wrote:

I agree about the autocrat part.

The person in charge at my main Post Office is difficult to say the least.  He comes out from the back evey time he thinks the line is not moving fast enough.  Even if the counter people wanted to help you, he would come out in his gruff manner and say in a demeaning tone  that we only scan at our convenience.  And when he gets a bit loud, he gets the attention of the guard with the gun and the K9.

IMO, it is a policy enforced at the discretion of who is in charge at a particular Post Office.

Message 70 of 77
latest reply

My local postmaster in Temple,  PA just verified that they are now limited to scanning 5 packages per pickup.  He said that the only way to have all of my packages scanned is to print a scan form.  My "shipped on time" percentage was dropping, so I went in to talk with the postmaster.  My local post office is great - I had 100% of my packages scanned until this limit of 5 was instituted earlier this year.  He said that if I have more than one scan form, that's okay, too.  So I'll be using the scan forms from now on.

Hope this helps,

Cheryl

Message 71 of 77
latest reply

We scan more than five just about everyday sometimes its a hole box full.  We have a post office natzi that is so strict about all the rules she hasnt said anything about this.  Best regards

Message 72 of 77
latest reply

@scrapinators wrote:

My local postmaster in Temple,  PA just verified that they are now limited to scanning 5 packages per pickup.  He said that the only way to have all of my packages scanned is to print a scan form. 

If you're referring to a carrier pickup (e.g. at your house), that does sound plausible. Too many packages to process at one pickup point and it'll put them behind schedule for the rest of the route.

Message 73 of 77
latest reply

@scrapinators wrote:

My local postmaster in Temple,  PA just verified that they are now limited to scanning 5 packages per pickup.  He said that the only way to have all of my packages scanned is to print a scan form.  My "shipped on time" percentage was dropping, so I went in to talk with the postmaster.  My local post office is great - I had 100% of my packages scanned until this limit of 5 was instituted earlier this year.  He said that if I have more than one scan form, that's okay, too.  So I'll be using the scan forms from now on.

Hope this helps,

Cheryl

This was discussed at great length when the new guidance came out from USPS.  The 5 package limit only applies to *unscheduled* pickups. 

If you call for a pickup, or take your packages into a PO then the limit does not apply.  Some postmasters have tried to leverage the unscheduled limitation to claim they don't have to scan more  than 5 period but that is not the case. 

If you are scheduling a pickup then the limit DOES NOT apply.  Have your postmaster review the guidance and if necessary file a complaint with the regional postmaster and the postmaster general.

Member of the Grumpy Old Man crew
Message 74 of 77
latest reply

Our carriers stopped scanning a few years back.  Even teh counter doesnt scan everything.  Usually they leave it to the big sort center to do the scanning.

Message 75 of 77
latest reply