cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USPS won't scan more than 5 packages

Does eBay have any comment about USPS now not scanning more than 5 packages? There will of course be exceptions on this, but it's said that this is word from corporate. They want to force everyone to use bulk shipping with scan forms.

Message 1 of 77
latest reply
76 REPLIES 76

wrote:

Does eBay have any comment about USPS now not scanning more than 5 packages? There will of course be exceptions on this, but it's said that this is word from corporate. They want to force everyone to use bulk shipping with scan forms.

If you can print a SCAN form for your shipment, then go ahead, but I seriously doubt that that's really "word from corporate." I would definitely ask for a cite or reference.

It sounds more like some local directive; there are all kinds of harebrained initiatives that get generated at the local level.

Message 2 of 77
latest reply

Unless something has changed USPS is supposed to scan all packages at acceptance. If you have more than two or three at a time, you really should use a SCAN form, but to my knowledge it's not required. If your Post Office is dropping the ball, you need to speak to your Postmaster. If s/he is of no help, go further up the ladder.

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 3 of 77
latest reply

What is so hard about using a scan sheet when you have more than 5 packages? The post office is doing that to save time and money it only takes less than a minute to scan a single sheet but takes alot longer to scan 50 individual packages.

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. Thomas Edison
Message 4 of 77
latest reply

I did an internet search on this and could find nothing.

Perhaps this is a rumor?

Message 5 of 77
latest reply

What if you have more than 5 but they're not all the same selling ID?

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley
"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley
Message 6 of 77
latest reply

I hear this over and over when I am at the Post Office and the lines are out the door.

At mine, when they are busy they will not scan them.  They are not going to spend all that time on one person.  

And from what I am hearing in their response and that of the supervisor's, they are not mandated to do so.

They will as a courtesy when they are slow but there is a limit as to how many they will do.

Message 7 of 77
latest reply

My carrier is perfectly happy to scan all of mine at the door.

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley
"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley
Message 8 of 77
latest reply

wrote:

What is so hard about using a scan sheet when you have more than 5 packages?

Generating it, mainly. Unless you're doing your whole daily output in one swell foop, there is not a way to go back later and print a compilation of all the tracking numbers & barcodes you generated. I would love it if I could just walk down my Orders page, place a checkmark against each item that's been labeled and is waiting to go out the door, and then hit one button for Print SCAN Sheet.

Exactly why eBay can't code that, I have no idea (it's really just a list of tracking numbers already generated and displayed on that very page, after all), but so far that's not an option.

Message 9 of 77
latest reply

wrote:
What if you have more than 5 but they're not all the same selling ID?

So then use 2 or how ever many scan sheets you need or find a post office that doesn't care about scan sheets

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. Thomas Edison
Message 10 of 77
latest reply

wrote:
My carrier is perfectly happy to scan all of mine at the door.

Where I live our mailboxes are down the street.  We never even see the carrier. 

Message 11 of 77
latest reply

At mine, when they are busy they will not scan them.  They are not going to spend all that time on one person.  

Yeah, all seven seconds per package; that really adds up. Smiley Very Happy

The reality is that Pre-Paid Acceptance is the shortest front counter transaction by far, because there's no payment to be made. Just hand over the box... *click* *beep* "Next, please!"

If the lines are out the door, it's because they're having to deal with some doofus who's got a flimsy, half-taped box and wants help with everything including sticking the label on... after, of course, first staring off into space as he ponders the mystery of whether to get Priority Mail or Express Mail, how much each costs, when it will get there, etc. 

Meanwhile, in a competently-run PO, they'll have someone designated to work the line and seek out people who are just dropping off stuff. They will have the scanner with them, and possibly also its matching wireless receipt printer for those folks who would like a receipt. (It's for the package, not for the payment, which already occurred on-line...)

Pre-paid Acceptance scans are not a valid excuse for having lines going out the door; the customers who did their homework are not the ones holding up the line.

And from what I am hearing in their response and that of the supervisor's, they are not mandated to do so. 

They are, but you as a member of the general public are not really in a position to convince them of that, unless you have a printout of the USPS directive from... 2014?... that addressed it.

Message 12 of 77
latest reply

They don't have the time to scan the 12 large flat rate boxes I'm shipping and paid over $200 to ship, but the guy who comes in carrying a sweater and wants to ship it - they have the time to get him a box, tape it up and put the sweater in there for him?

Good to know.

"Believe in something, even if it means sacrificing everything" Colin Kaepernick the new face of NIKE
Message 13 of 77
latest reply

wrote:

I hear this over and over when I am at the Post Office and the lines are out the door.

They will as a courtesy when they are slow but there is a limit as to how many they will do.

Yes they are.

Every item accepted at the retail counter at a local Post Office that has a USPS Tracking number must be scanned, whether the customer requests it or not. By the time the items reach the first processing facility, they will have had two scan events.

Message 14 of 77
latest reply

Hey a_c,

I made that same suggestion to ebay a while ago.  Trinton did reply to the post on the shipping board and said he passed the suggestion along to tech.

I often begin packing and printing labels in the evening for shipment then add to those the next morning.  Sure would be easy to go to my paid and shipped page, put check marks next to those going out for pick up and print one scan sheet for all.

So much easier than launching bulk shipping in the morning then rushing to get everything packed and printed before carrier arrives to pick up.

My USPS branch manager told me about the 4-5 package limit scan a while ago.  Seems the USPS was overwhelmed this past holiday season.  Employees spent too much time scanning and USPS received too many complaints about lack of scans.

Bonnie Jo

Message 15 of 77
latest reply