cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UPC codes reused and recycled by manufacturer Proof included

Here is a PRIME example of companies reusing the UPC CODE look at the 2 patterns of Mccall's 4230 The second and  fourth  both have the UPC code as 023795423014 and  both have the same MPN  pf 4230. You will see 2 different patterns BOTH HAVE SAME UPC AND PRODUCT IDENTIFIER . Here is your WHATEVER, it is real and we are experiencing  

Find great deals on eBay for mccall's costumes sewing…
EBAY.COM
below  are  2 additional  photos   from other sources,  1 is mine  because  listing the item and  the other is from another site. 

Time is the most precious gift, Thank you for yours,
aswe
Message 1 of 21
latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

Re: UPC codes reused and recycled by manufacturer Proof included

@b86fiero wrote:

This is a common problem.

I have over 100 puzzles.  All are different but all have the same upc and mpn.

I have 38 jar candles.  All are different scents but again, all have the same upc and mpn. 

I have 60+ kitchen utensils.  Spatulas, serving spoons, cake servers, etc.  All same upc and same mpn.

I have hardcover books.  Identical isbn and upc shown in eBay catalog as a different version of the same book.

When attempting to use the catalog to list a product recently typing in a upc brought no results.  Typing in the mpn brought no results.  Typing in the exact product name brought no results.  Typing in an abbreviated portion of the product name - VOILA! - identical product appeared and was added to my listing.

Perhaps the Product Catalog should jettison upc and mpn and stand alone on item title.  Couldn't be any worse.  

Even if you could do a multiple variation listing on these, would you even be allowed to list 100 items, 60 , or even 38?

Message 16 of 21
latest reply

I have also found that one UPC may cover variations inside that one number.

Message 17 of 21
latest reply

@syedmhaq wrote:

@aswegrow2 wrote:

Here is a PRIME example of companies reusing the UPC CODE look at the 2 patterns of Mccall's 4230 The second and  fourth  both have the UPC code as 023795423014 and  both have the same MPN  pf 4230. You will see 2 different patterns BOTH HAVE SAME UPC AND PRODUCT IDENTIFIER . Here is your WHATEVER, it is real and we are experiencing  

Find great deals on eBay for mccall's costumes sewing…
EBAY.COM
below  are  2 additional  photos   from other sources,  1 is mine  because  listing the item and  the other is from another site. 

Thank you for sharing this example @aswegrow2

Others have shared similar examples with me in the Toys and Fashion categories. 

We are working on a plan to address the scenario where UPC is not a unique product identifier. 

DVDs and books too.

The Race is over
The Rats won.
Message 18 of 21
latest reply

TY for insights did not see it along those lines, I have not enter UPC codes but can see how finding a good one and entering in multi-able times would mess with catalog.
aswe
Message 19 of 21
latest reply

I do not believe you can make a variation listing on puzzles 😞 good thought though
aswe
Message 20 of 21
latest reply

So many I share folks could post 100's more
aswe
Message 21 of 21
latest reply