cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Turning off 2 step verification is a nightmare. I am on my third agent and first hour

I cannot turn off my two factor authentication.

Please moderators and Community troubleshooters, do reply to this with a tone deaf response.  Don’t reply to this with a solution that you know does not work.  Please don’t reply to this with a dismissive reply or close this thread like you did the one on 9/14/2022.

It’s unbelievable how this one glitch makes my account almost completely worthless.    I cannot turn this 2 factor auth off and I have communicated with two different chat agents, neither of which could help.  I am now on my third agent an hoping for the best.  And by “the best”, I mean “I hope the fire the executive incompetents who implemented this change to allow us to spend our Spendable Funds balances.”

It’s a screw up on the highest level.  I hope the remaining executives related to this issue can understand the damage caused and why they are probably overpaid and unqualified for THEIR jobs for not acting sooner.

I can easily open an Amazon seller account in the amount of time I have spent on this, and when this issue is resolved, and as much as I would rather not do that, I will.  I KNOW I will be able to open a new Amazon seller account in less time than I have spent on this issue.

Anyone serious about e-commerce, would not put up with what is becoming a nightmare site.  I am not here to provide charity consulting services to eBay or torture myself watching a viable company that has become a vapid “stock price”.

Message 1 of 17
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Turning off 2 step verification is a nightmare. I am on my third agent and first hour

@kiteoutpost 

It appears the information and link I supplied to you this morning was likely not too useful.  Upon reading more about the subject here and on other ecommerce discussion avenues, it appears that one cannot be enrolled in the "Spendable Funds" program without enrolling in the two step verification.  Once you enroll in the Spendable Funds, the ability to opt out of the two step verification is removed. 

This is not in any eBay policy, but seemingly a consequence of one's enrollment in "Spendable Funds". 

So presently, you cannot use the Spendable Funds program without the two step verification.  Apparently, the verification is then presented many times during your normal eBay business activities even after you have logged in (and subsequently NOT logged out).  

If you are still in this, it might be useful to keep track of what pages in the normal course of your eBay activity are resulting in  the two step verification screen again, and yet again when you try to enter another page.  That way you, and whomever else is affected,  have some data to supply so it can be fixed, or other options can be sought.  

The program is very new, and being rolled out.  If the annoying multiple two step verification is presented every time you want to look at another eBay page, we are certainly going to hear more about it pretty soon. 

It often seems every new eBay program has its "gotcha" or "glitches", and this one is no different. 

View Best Answer in original post

Message 9 of 17
latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

@kiteoutpost 

Are you speaking about a verification code sent to your phone?   If so, was it automatically installed as a result of signing up for the "Spendable Funds" thing?  and somehow became permanent? 

Here is a link to "turn it on", that suggests you can also "turn it off".  

https://www.ebay.com/help/account/protecting-account/tips-keeping-ebay-account-secure?id=4872&st=12&...

I personally NEVER select those things, and have had to go through a good deal of trouble with my bank, and my website payment processor to get rid of this.  I live in a "no cell service" zone, so the codes may not even show up for a few days rendering the "security" measure rather useless when one needs to conduct business. 

Message 2 of 17
latest reply

@kiteoutpost 

Click on the link that poster @ittybitnot gave you and here, I blew up one detail of the process to opt out.

Screenshot_20221009-075039_Chrome~2.jpg

Message 3 of 17
latest reply

and I have communicated with two different chat agents, neither of which could help

@kiteoutpost 

For future reference, the agents you get in "chat" or "call back" are from outsourced call centers in other countries.  They rarely can help with more than the basic issues if the question or problem you have is NOT pre-programmed into the script that they use.   If the information in the link above does not solve your problem, come back for further advice. 

Message 4 of 17
latest reply

@kiteoutpost wrote:

Please moderators and Community troubleshooters, do reply to this with a tone deaf response.  Don’t reply to this with a solution that you know does not work.  Please don’t reply to this with a dismissive reply or close this thread like you did the one on 9/14/2022.

Why would a poster come here looking for help then tell us how they want to answer, the tone they want us to use and act as though WE are the problem? 

As frustrating as I agree it can be when one can't figure out how to make changes, to go off on a rant directed toward strangers who freely volunteer their time, knowledge and experience and have nothing to gain by helping you comes off as rather entitled. 

I haven't even looked at your previous post(s) but we aren't ebay employees or mods and have no ability to close threads. 

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 5 of 17
latest reply

This the one topic you refer to??

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Buying/How-can-i-disable-2-factor-authentication/m-p/33275580#M423370 

Do you have the correct phone number with your account for them to send info for disable to??

Message 6 of 17
latest reply

@albertabrightalberta wrote:

@kiteoutpost wrote:

Why would a poster come here looking for help then tell us how they want to answer, the tone they want us to use and act as though WE are the problem? 

As frustrating as I agree it can be when one can't figure out how to make changes, to go off on a rant directed toward strangers who freely volunteer their time, knowledge and experience and have nothing to gain by helping you comes off as rather entitled. 

I haven't even looked at your previous post(s) but we aren't ebay employees or mods and have no ability to close threads. 

Yes, and this newbie seller who can't undo the two step is going to waltz onto Amazon and open an account there. Right....  with no help from seller support on Amazon. Amazon expects sellers to figure it out. No hand holding over there like there is on eBay. 

Posting ID
Message 7 of 17
latest reply

Yes, and this newbie seller who can't undo the two step....

@lakefor94 
I am sure you know all about this, but for others reading here.........
 the two step verification is linked to the new  "Spendable Funds" program.  One cannot participate and use their balance to pay for eBay items UNLESS they are enrolled in the two step verification.  Once enrolled the option to turn it off is apparently gone.    

Surprise, surprise!   You have to put up with this annoying program in order to make use of the new "spendable funds" tool.  The result unfortunately requires verification log ins for all sorts of things as well.  It is a very unsavory consequence of using the "spendable funds" program. 

You’ll need to ensure you’ve enabled 2 step verification on your account, and agree to the Balance Terms and Conditions to complete sign up. Once you’re signed up, we’ll credit your spendable funds with your sales proceeds, after we’ve confirmed the buyer’s payment and deducted applicable fees and expenses.

From this page:  https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/spendable-funds/spendable-funds?id=5305&st=12&pos=1&query=Spendabl...

To read a bit more about the "user experience" see posts 4, 6, 7, and 10 here:

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Buying/How-can-i-disable-2-factor-authentication/td-p/33016220

Message 8 of 17
latest reply

@kiteoutpost 

It appears the information and link I supplied to you this morning was likely not too useful.  Upon reading more about the subject here and on other ecommerce discussion avenues, it appears that one cannot be enrolled in the "Spendable Funds" program without enrolling in the two step verification.  Once you enroll in the Spendable Funds, the ability to opt out of the two step verification is removed. 

This is not in any eBay policy, but seemingly a consequence of one's enrollment in "Spendable Funds". 

So presently, you cannot use the Spendable Funds program without the two step verification.  Apparently, the verification is then presented many times during your normal eBay business activities even after you have logged in (and subsequently NOT logged out).  

If you are still in this, it might be useful to keep track of what pages in the normal course of your eBay activity are resulting in  the two step verification screen again, and yet again when you try to enter another page.  That way you, and whomever else is affected,  have some data to supply so it can be fixed, or other options can be sought.  

The program is very new, and being rolled out.  If the annoying multiple two step verification is presented every time you want to look at another eBay page, we are certainly going to hear more about it pretty soon. 

It often seems every new eBay program has its "gotcha" or "glitches", and this one is no different. 

Message 9 of 17
latest reply

@lakefor94 wrote:

@albertabrightalberta wrote:

@kiteoutpost wrote:

Yes, and this newbie seller who can't undo the two step is going to waltz onto Amazon and open an account there. Right....  with no help from seller support on Amazon. Amazon expects sellers to figure it out. No hand holding over there like there is on eBay. 

The funny part is that Amazon sellers are required to use two step authentication. 

Message 10 of 17
latest reply

I have used two step on ebay for several years and would not consider not having it, the cost of a hacked seller account are to high.

I have not had any problems, once logged in from a device you rarely need to re authenticate. 

Message 11 of 17
latest reply

@kiteoutpost 

Not in it myself, and don't know everything about it, but possibly the "opt out" would be available/possible if a seller were to get out of/get their funds out of, the "spendable funds" program.

Message 12 of 17
latest reply

That isn’t true.  Amazon sellers have authentication options.  They can opt out of several.  they can also change them.  They are more FUNCTIONAL.  It’s easy for drone board of directors and incompetent executives to lay waste to a site like this over time, isn’t it?

-yeah…….a newbie seller

Message 13 of 17
latest reply

Thanks, this gave me hope for a moment, but even transferring my balance out of spendable funds did not give me the option to opt out of spendable funds.  I am SURE the inability to opt out of this program has nothing to do with security and more with incompetent executives.  After all, it’s eBays job to keep our accounts secure, not pester our phones with superficial “advertised security” enhancements.

But maybe that’s a job and a question for the “security” team.

Message 14 of 17
latest reply

Thanks for acknowledging the reality of this new policy rollout.  At his point it’s not about users’ inability to opt out of Spendable funds or 2FA anymore.  I’m sure users don’t like being “freebie consultants” to the overpaid “stock price” babysitter executives and token board members at eBay.

Message 15 of 17
latest reply