cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can i disable 2 factor authentication

Two factor authentication has made Ebay clunky and unpleasant to use.

2fa adds very little in the way of security as SIM card hacks are well established. 

So as i have never had my Ebay acount hacked or disturbed in 20 years i want to disable 2fa.

How do i do it?

My only other option is to go to another platform - which i don't want to do!

Please help

Message 1 of 19
latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

I find an very old topic on this MAY OR MAY NOT WORK.: do a search in the community for this (two step verification disable.)

Message 2 of 19
latest reply

@350lcjohnny wrote:

Two factor authentication has made Ebay clunky and unpleasant to use.

2fa adds very little in the way of security as SIM card hacks are well established. 

So as i have never had my Ebay acount hacked or disturbed in 20 years i want to disable 2fa.

How do i do it?

My only other option is to go to another platform - which i don't want to do!

Please help

Hey @350lcjohnny! I would always recommend have two factor authentication on but in the event you  do want to have it turned off, you can go to the help pages here. This shows how to turn it on but it will be a very similar process to turning it off.

Devon,
eBay
Message 3 of 19
latest reply

devon@ebay

we understand about the account safety when it comes to the basic log-in,

however is not practical to log-in again and again and again with 2 steps verification when it comes to View Payment Details to save a copy of the Transaction Details

imagine having 20+ sales and having to deal with that for each sale

there is no point for that unless ebay is making some sort of revenue from the texts with the code

Message 4 of 19
latest reply

You do realize you can select the option to recognize a particular computer so you don't have to use 2fa when you log in on that computer, right...

Message 5 of 19
latest reply

The only way to do it is to empty your funds then call ebay and ask them to turn it off. On phone with them now and have verified this fact

Message 6 of 19
latest reply

Agreed! They've made the site/app absolutely unusable with this change. It asks me to verify every time I try to go to any admin page — and I am using two trusted devices

Message 7 of 19
latest reply

2FA is configured here: https://accounts.ebay.com/acctxs/mfa-hub

Account > sign in and security > 2 step verification

he/him/guy/dude...you get the picture
Message 8 of 19
latest reply

This reply indicates that you have not viewed the link you provided. There is no option to turn it off from that page

Message 9 of 19
latest reply

To add: They told me it takes 24 hrs after you empty the funds, then I have to call back so they can turn off spendable funds first before they are able to turn off 2-factor login. It's an annoying domino effect

Message 10 of 19
latest reply

I cannot turn off my two factor authentication.

It’s unbelievable how this one glitch makes my account almost completely worthless.    I cannot turn this 2 factor auth off and I have communicated with two different chat agents, neither of which could help.  I am now on my third agent an hoping for the best.  And by “the best”, I mean “I hope the fire the executive incompetents who implemented this change to allow us to spend our “Spendable Funds” balances.”

It’s a screw up on the highest level.  I hope the remaining executives related to this issue can understand the damage caused and why they are probably overpaid and under qualified for THEIR jobs for not acting sooner.

I can easily open an Amazon seller account in the amount of time I have spent on this, and when this issue is resolved, and as much as I would rather not do that, I will.

Anyone serious about e-commerce, would not put up with what is becoming a nightmare site.

Message 11 of 19
latest reply

I cannot turn off my two factor authentication.

It’s unbelievable how this one glitch makes my account almost completely worthless.    I cannot turn this 2 factor auth off and I have communicated with two different chat agents, neither of which could help.  I am now on my third agent an hoping for the best.  And by “the best”, I mean “I hope the fire the executive incompetents who implemented this change to allow us to spend our “Spendable Funds” balances.”

It’s a screw up on the highest level.  I hope the remaining executives related to this issue can understand the damage caused and why they are probably overpaid and under qualified for THEIR jobs for not acting sooner.

I can easily open an Amazon seller account in the amount of time I have spent on this, and when this issue is resolved, and as much as I would rather not do that, I will.

Anyone serious about e-commerce, would not put up with what is becoming a nightmare site.

Message 12 of 19
latest reply

I will try this thanks.  Just emptied the account now.

Message 13 of 19
latest reply

There are many different kinds of computers, and there are people that empty their browser history daily and limit “intrusive security practices” that make this possible.

Message 14 of 19
latest reply

We need to ask WHY are all companies suddenly using 2FA ?  We know this extra security is unecessary just to access Ebay or email.  Is this just a step towards estra orwellian control and surveillance? Will the next step be to insit we are chipped so never without our AI smart security device.  We didnt ask for this level of security and its unecessary. We must all complain so we have the option to remove it if we wish. Why has the option to switch it off been taken away from us?  Where is this leading? to Digital ID and cashless society? NO THANKYOU.

Message 15 of 19
latest reply