cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tired of searches that hide what I'm looking for.

Lately I've noticed that searches for items that are very specific get all sorts of trash that may have a single word from the search that are displayed before items that match the search.  EBay really needs to clean this up.  If my buyers are facing this type of confusion, we all can be sure we're losing sales to frustrated buyers.

Message 1 of 37
latest reply
36 REPLIES 36

@colfaxstation ,

Can you please give us a example?

Message 2 of 37
latest reply

Use the following parameters when you are doing a search and you will only get those listings with those exact words in your search results. You can further refine it to just the title, title & description...... and you will get rid of a lot of junk. 

dbfolks166mt_0-1707712619099.png

Message 3 of 37
latest reply

A search will match keywords in the item title, but will also match keywords in the item specifics. So if you are searching for a magazine title, month and year, your search may turn up listings of lots of magazines if your keywords appear anywhere in the title or item-specifics -- say if a different issue of your magazine is listed along with a different magazine from the same month and the same year.

If you want to make sure that certain words appear in your search results in a certain order, try putting quotes around a phrase or put dashes between the words to ensure that only combinations in that order appear.

Putting quotes around any keyword or group of keywords should also prevent any keyword corrections or substitutions.

Message 4 of 37
latest reply

Same here...
A lot of inaccuracies in search.

Perhaps we can "Tell them what we think"

Message 5 of 37
latest reply

search results are based in part at least by how much the seller is paying to be at the top of search results, how much does this screw up search results? 

Message 6 of 37
latest reply

search results are based in part at least by how much the seller is paying to be at the top of search results, how much does this screw up search results?

Sponsored listings may appear higher in the search sort than they would otherwise, but that should not actually prevent you from seeing any of the other results that match your search criteria.

Message 7 of 37
latest reply

This is common on all sites.     They are trying to create a shopping experience so that you will buy more than just one item.

It is like the displays when you enter a store,  hoping to entice you into buying more.

Ebay is not the worse.

Message 8 of 37
latest reply

eBay knows what you want.
You don't.

Message 9 of 37
latest reply

eBay knows what you want.
You don't.

I understand what you mean by this, but it may be useful to look at this in a different way.

In a certain sense, eBay does not know what you want. At all. eBay only really knows what you are asking for.

The two may actually be very different things.

eBay may be able to infer what you want based on what you are asking for, and based on what others have asked for and eventually wound up looking at or buying. But if what you want diverges from what others have looked for previously, this sort of statistical inference may not be very useful for your particular case.

The better you understand how eBay works, and the better you understand and can describe what you really want, the more likely you will be able to ask in a way that enables eBay to show you results that you do want.

For very common things, it may be sufficient to use one or two appropriate keywords -- a brand name and a model, an author and a title -- and perhaps use a category or a filter to narrow to a particular set of results. For more complicated searches, where several kinds of things overlap in ways that are harder to distinguish, or where sellers may not use the same keywords to describe items consistently, more complex search techniques may be required.

Message 10 of 37
latest reply

I search for LGB and item number and all sorts of LGB items appear BEFORE a listing with the specific item number. Yesterday I input an item title and scale and got no match. Later I increased the info and got a match with the EXACT title and scale in the title. Something is seriously wrong. I’ve got a lot of experience in data search and this is just wrong.

Message 11 of 37
latest reply

Good guess but you are not correct.

Message 12 of 37
latest reply

This is what I suspect.

Message 13 of 37
latest reply

Change your Search.

The default is Best Match.

The second most popular is Lowest Price.

Change to Highest Price plus Shipping.

This drops all the cheap carp, which is usually the real problem due to bad titles and descriptions.

Then we just have to drill down a few dozen listings to our price point , and those listings are more likely to be accurate in the first place.

caf1764723bd0002c6434aa75482d619.jpg

Message 14 of 37
latest reply

@eburtonlab wrote:

Sponsored listings may appear higher in the search sort than they would otherwise, but that should not actually prevent you from seeing any of the other results that match your search criteria.

Correct, the organic results will likely still be there somewhere if the buyer has the patience to look long enough

Message 15 of 37
latest reply