cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The worst times ever - no sales on ebay

For the past few months, my sales have been almost non-existent (average gross $260 in 31 days (!), including all international shipping, fees, etc - bringing profit to about $30). I have never seen ebay being that bad. My postal lady is even shocked to get just an occasional pick up now.

I sell the same variety of stuff: beauty, new and used clothing, collectibles, etc - pretty much all except electronics and motor. The fees are up, ebay charges more and more, yet doesn`t generate sales.

I do everything recommended by bloggers and other sellers: sell similar, not relisting; twist a price; change titles, etc, etc. I had never had to work so hard for ebay without getting paid. 

Message 1 of 20
latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

Re: The worst times ever - no sales on ebay

Lots of reasons, but no one size fits all reason.  The economy, inflation, people getting ready for tax time, etc are all possible factors.  But when it comes down to it, that is all nothing but speculation...some sellers are having consistent sales in all categories despite what is going on out there.  We used to sell lots of clothing on our other account, but are actually going to phase that out and focus on vintage items only...the clothing category is so saturated that it's just not working for us anymore (although the real reason is that I hate listing clothing lol).

And I'm not going to suggest promoting, because well, I'm not going to suggest giving more fees to eBay to anyone.  They get enough already, and are going to get more from us soon.  

The only thing I can suggest is do some research to find out what is selling in various categories.  Maybe get out of the comfort zone and try to source those desirable and/or unique items.  

Regarding the comment that "everyone is leaving eBay"....over the past many years we have seen these kinds of comments/posts soooo many times.  It always happens after a not so happy seller update.  Those long time sellers that have seen it all too many times know that changes here are nothing new.  Those that kick and scream and threaten to leave either never really do, or end up finding out that the grass is no greener elsewhere.  

Message 16 of 20
latest reply

Between the bloated seller fees & ridiculous shipping fees, sellers are now forced to raise their prices to an unattractive amount which results in less people in general using ebay and going elsewhere. 

Ebay used to be a haven for buyers to buy rare/hard to find things things for very fair prices while at the same time allowing sellers to profit.

That simply isn't the case anymore and less people are buying on ebay than ever before because of it.

Message 17 of 20
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm starting to believe that over here in the US, we ain't getting the exposure like the rest of the world does. Just went to someone's store who had 19,000 COOL items and his sold items? 300 and something. Three. Hundred. And something. Plus the person, like I said, had some real cool items that logically could sell but that sold figure is mind bending. It's like eBay has this attitude now like, "Well, if you don't do this, that and the other, you're not going to sell anything," and yeah, I get it. That's the nature of the game but DANG, when you do what they suggest and you get hardly if any sales, how are THEY making money? 

Message 18 of 20
latest reply

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm starting to believe that over here in the US, we ain't getting the exposure like the rest of the world does. Just went to someone's store who had 19,000 COOL items and his sold items? 300 and something.

Were they multi-quantity listings? Because those do not show up in Sold every time one sells. As an example, look at my own Sold listings. I actually sold 3 of those Goddess Stacia Asuna figures and 2 of those Hatsune Miku noodle stopper figures, yet they only show up once in my solds.

Message 19 of 20
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

I see. No, I don't, they should all be there. Just saying.

Message 20 of 20
latest reply