cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thank you eBay for standing by me as a seller.

Hello all, Ive been selling here for years, 1028 100% reviews.

I had my first unhappy customer who bought from me over a month ago and wanted his money back.

I had stated in the precise lengthy listing description that it was sold as is, no refunds or returns.

I asked eBay to look over my concerns about what I should do.

They called me! And explained in detail that I was in the right. My selling description was right, the communication between messages was done correctly and I had proved my worth based on reviews of previous customers of mine.

So Thank you eBay.

Message 1 of 25
latest reply
24 REPLIES 24

Re: Thank you eBay for standing by me as a seller.

How did they stand by you? Was there a case and they closed it in your favor?

Message 2 of 25
latest reply

They called you and gave you bad information.

There is no as is on eBay, regardless of what you say in your description.

The only reason they sided with you is because it's past 30 days, and MBG claims can no longer be opened.

Message 3 of 25
latest reply

I'm sorry to say, but it sounds like another case of an ebay CS rep telling you what you want to hear.

I'm guessing that the buyer didn't open a case within the allotted time... As others have pointed out on these boards, no returns doesn't mean no refunds.  If the buyer opens a case because they find fault with the item, real or imagined, ebay typically sides with the buyer.  

Message 4 of 25
latest reply

Having proved your worth through past history means nothing when/if a buyer opens an item not as described case, nor does your "no returns" stance.

The answers given here by the others are right on.  Your buyer lost because he waited too long to open a case with eBay.  Guess he is not aware that he could open a case with Paypal or do a chargeback on his card.  

Message 5 of 25
latest reply

I hate to turn this positive post into a negative.

If this complaint was less than 30 days and if the buyer filed a NAD (not as described) case,

ebay would not be standing by you.

And if your buyer decides to file a "chargeback" with their credit card company, 

ebay will not be standing by you.

Let's hope that doesn't happen.

But I'm glad things worked out for you.

Smoke From A Distant Fire - Sanford Townsend Band
Message 6 of 25
latest reply

Wow, I am taken aback with the replies so far. I have seen stories from buyers and sellers too about not getting a fair deal.

She told me the person was being blocked from communications with me and that I was protected as a seller with the Seller Protection Policy.

Message 7 of 25
latest reply

@dougsvintagestore wrote:

She told me the person was being blocked from communications with me and that I was protected as a seller with the Seller Protection Policy.

You were protected by Ebay's seller protection policy. The policy is a buyer cannot have a refund after 30 days has passed. She lied about the part of blocking communication with you. You have to do that yourself. Go to the blocked buyer list and add the person.  Check the box that says do not allow communication.

Message 8 of 25
latest reply

Don't be "taken aback".

We're just letting you know eBay policy.

If your buyer would have filed in the 30 day window, you would have not only refunded every cent of their money, you would have paid for the return shipping.

eBay didn't do you any favors.

They just followed their own policy.

Good luck in your sales.

Message 9 of 25
latest reply

I guess Ive just led a charmed life here then. Ive never had a buyer unhappy with the item until now. I sell vintage and you can see with items like that the possibility exists that damage could happen during shipping or even just handling the item when received.

Message 10 of 25
latest reply

@dougsvintagestore That's exactly it, this is your first time dealing with a return so it's all new to you. All of the comments have been spot on. This platform offers a money back guarantee, that surpasses a seller's own no returns policy. The platforms rules apply to everyone, new sellers as well as long time sellers. Returns are not as common as some make them out to be, and more based on what items are sold. You have been lucky so far and hopefully won't encounter another for a long time. Best of luck to you....

Message 11 of 25
latest reply

eBay doesn't block communication. They never have that I have heard in my 23 years of selling here.

Message 12 of 25
latest reply

Well as per the advice of others here, I blocked the person myself.

I sure am learning a lot here today.

Message 13 of 25
latest reply

@dougsvintagestore wrote:

Well as per the advice of others here, I blocked the person myself.

I sure am learning a lot here today.

@dougsvintagestore:

I'm glad you have success so far in this situation, and you've received a lot of great advice that is dead on.

However, I'm sorry to be Robert Raincloud here, but you're not out of the woods yet. The buyer could go right to their credit card company and file a chargeback claim even many months down the road. It happens a lot, so be prepared for the possibility. A cc claim is nearly always found in the favor of the buyer, no matter what circumstances exist, and eBay is currently powerless to fight it... they would most likely refund the buyer's payment out of your proceeds, and then just might charge you an extra $20 for the hassle.

Many of us sellers have had to contend with a similar situation, so welcome to the club. Just don't be discouraged... keep chugging along here...

Cheers,

Duffy

Message 14 of 25
latest reply

Come back a lot, you'll hear all the scenarios of unhappy buyers, and some happy buyers😊

Message 15 of 25
latest reply