cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tell Congress how you feel about $600 sale amount for IRS

In case you are not subscribed to ebay`s Main street emails and want to send your Congressman/Senators your voice, here is the message:

https://www.ebaymainstreet.com/campaign/1099k-campaign-q4-2023?utm_campaign=1099K-Q4-2023&utm_source...

Message 1 of 46
latest reply
45 REPLIES 45

I wouldn't classify that bill as harmful. Inconvenient for some, but not harmful. 

Message 2 of 46
latest reply

I think it’s about time. There’s been way too many people selling and not claiming their eBay income as evidenced by the countless posts of people whining about it.  

Message 3 of 46
latest reply

@worldwidetreausures  Thanks. I need to write to my Congressman to say how much I love this bill.

I saw that video and one guy in there said something like "It will stop people from starting small businesses because of the extra paperwork involved, the tax reporting." Lol, did he really just say the tax reporting? 

If tax reporting is something that will stop you from opening a small business, then you shouldn't ever open one in the first place despite this bill. It's what took down Al Capone man.

Message 4 of 46
latest reply

eBay, Amazon, et al, oppose the new federal reporting requirement because it costs them to prepare and issue the 1099Ks, they face substantial penalties for errors -- plus they know that dodging income tax is one of the drivers of e-commerce.

eBay, Amazon, et al, opposed state legislation that required them to collect and remit sales taxes, too (but they lost one that in a Supreme Court decision), because it costs them money, they face penalties for errors -- plus they know that dodging sales tax was one of the great drivers of e-commerce.

If you have studied the issue and you personally oppose the reporting requirement, then oppose it.  But please do not think that eBay, Amazon, et al, are opposing it on your behalf. 

-

Message 5 of 46
latest reply

There's a reason why this $600 threshold for the 1099-K  is bring applied to online market places and that's because there already is a 1099-MISC that has a $600 threshold for independent contractors. If you work for yourself such as a consultant, plumber, Mary Kay associate, etc., you would receive a 1099 for any work you provided to businesses. Maybe you could tell Congress why they should be taxed and not you.

Message 6 of 46
latest reply

My post was for OP, obviously.  Sorry I clicked "reply" on your post.

Message 7 of 46
latest reply

Does me no good unless you are talking about at the state level. Virginia has had a $600 1099 issuance threshold in place since July of 2020. Since I always reported my income I found the 1099 to be a nice addition as it served as a check against my own accounting numbers. 

Message 8 of 46
latest reply

No worries. I totally agree with you. This is not being done for us. 

Message 9 of 46
latest reply

Congress does not listen amongst themselves, Why would they listen to us??

Message 10 of 46
latest reply

I agree with you-the OP originally mentioned about contacting members of Congress.

Message 11 of 46
latest reply

@dbfolks166mt wrote:

Does me no good unless you are talking about at the state level. Virginia has had a $600 1099 issuance threshold in place since July of 2020. Since I always reported my income I found the 1099 to be a nice addition as it served as a check against my own accounting numbers. 

Same here. It actually made filing my taxes a whole lot easier than it was when I had to rely entirely on my own numbers.

Message 12 of 46
latest reply

@worldwidetreausures 

Contact those Yahoo's ?  They just ousted the Speaker of the house today, They allowed the dumbing down of the dress code, the border crisis is out of control and you want me to write those Jokers gone wild?  No thanks, I pay my taxes promptly and keep excellent receipts to offset some of my profits.

Message 13 of 46
latest reply

They are pretty busy right now rearranging their offices .

Message 14 of 46
latest reply

Dear Congress,

I don't like having to pay taxes that i'm supposed to pay.

Undone - Bachman & Cummings
Message 15 of 46
latest reply