cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

(Store Closing 2022) After 10+ Years Selling on eBay. I'll Cover the Termination Fee, Not Waiting..

Actually, I've been selling on eBay for more than 20 years through two accounts. Over this time eBay has continued to take advantage, drip-drip.. The last-straw for us was the eBay PL Pay-to-Play scam, not a drip-drip, more like wave-wave.

eBay has lost (half) of it's market value this year, in turn, this platform is covering the core growth losses by going after sellers with said Pay-to-Play. All of this while selling expenses are already at their highest for sellers. 

The net return isn't worth all the trouble anymore. I'm one of the lucky ones, I can afford to walk away. Good luck fellow sellers.   

Message 1 of 135
latest reply
134 REPLIES 134

Re: (Store Closing 2022) After 10+ Years Selling on eBay. I'll Cover the Termination Fee, Not Waitin

I think it depends on the products you sell there. I sell mostly media related items, and I noticed the platform heavily promotes these types of items thru Google shopping/advertising, and my games and DVD's are definitely moving there.

I also noticed the platform is overloaded with vintage items, there is a lot of competition for those categories there.

I too didn't care for the inability to list the brand of the items I sell. You're right, if the brand isn't in their database, then there's no way to include it in the listing. They really need to fix that.

As for bidding, they can bid on any item, so far about a third of my sales are from offers from buyers. I haven't had any low ball bids yet either, which is a good thing.

Message 106 of 135
latest reply

Re: (Store Closing 2022) After 10+ Years Selling on eBay. I'll Cover the Termination Fee, Not Waitin

@gamersbaystore wrote:

I think it depends on the products you sell there. I sell mostly media related items, and I noticed the platform heavily promotes these types of items thru Google shopping/advertising, and my games and DVD's are definitely moving there.

I also noticed the platform is overloaded with vintage items, there is a lot of competition for those categories there.

I too didn't care for the inability to list the brand of the items I sell. You're right, if the brand isn't in their database, then there's no way to include it in the listing. They really need to fix that.

As for bidding, they can bid on any item, so far about a third of my sales are from offers from buyers. I haven't had any low ball bids yet either, which is a good thing.

the buyer who sent offer to me yesterday, accepted it today...so I did complete that sale there this morn. 

The great truth is there isn't one
And it only gets worse since that conclusion...
...There is something about the rigid posture of a proper, authentic blind
As if extended arms reached to pass his blindness onto others.
Message 107 of 135
latest reply

LOL

Posting ID

Message 108 of 135
latest reply

@chapeau-noir wrote:

@nuclearomen wrote:

You can't bid on Mercari - not in the way like ebay via the listing - when he says "bid" he means people mailing you with offer - and the game there is to counter back higher, and then you meet in the middle usually. 
I've been there 3 years off and on, I got offer today, I countered, they haven't responded. The way to sales on there is to add like $5 more then you want, generally people will mail with $5 less offer, then you counter 2.50 higher and I normally say that's the lowest and they accept. Some people sell there will accept any offer. But I have to get what i have to get. Rarely does something just sell there without 20 inbox rounds with someone. The real low offers I immediately decline so they get the picture. 

Yes, I get offers but I expect that since I also sell on Poshmark, and price accordingly.  But as I say, some things move better than others.  It's funky, but it's still a very decent site to sell on.

@gamersbaystore  Sells the kind of thing that actually does well over there.  I also sell DVDs/media there if they don't move here after a bit, though the last batch of DVDs I listed here sold in days.

It's no longer the cheap option, though - they imposed a processing fee (2.9%) and have raised the service fee from 30 cents to 50 cents.

I do OK... like said, sell there periodically, now and then. I don't do well with vinyl in the media's... but that platform isn't even set up for that either. I do OK with games and some other stuff. But yes, they have 2.9% fee there... however, you know exactly what they take and what you get when making the listing out so you just adjust some as you need til hits the number your happy with...leaving that extra $5 or whatever tacked on for offers. 

The great truth is there isn't one
And it only gets worse since that conclusion...
...There is something about the rigid posture of a proper, authentic blind
As if extended arms reached to pass his blindness onto others.
Message 109 of 135
latest reply

I agree. Hard to make a dime!

Message 110 of 135
latest reply

@craigstevensstudio wrote:

i walked away after 16 years last winter.    they wanted me to verify my phone number. (same one i used for 16 years.)  after 8 calls to the philipines (customer service with a accent)  nothing.   they were not able. i came on the forum and  was told to go to facebook. (which i will not do)  to solve my problem.  i gave them 3 weeks to contact me to fix it, came on the forum every day and posted.  NOTHING.   so i pulled my store.   if ebay cannot fix something as simple as a phone verification to one of its sellers, what can i expect for REAL PROBLEMS?     i verified my phone number on pay pal in like 1 minute.  ebay FAILS.

Did you check the spam filters and number blockers on your phone to see if that might have been the problem??

Message 111 of 135
latest reply

you closing both accounts?

Message 112 of 135
latest reply

It's been two months since your initial post and you still have over 2,100 active listings. When exactly were you planning on "walking away"?

Message 113 of 135
latest reply

@fairdeal*lb   Almost 3 months since your post. What changed your mind to NOT 'walk away'?

Message 114 of 135
latest reply

I'm loaded!

Message 115 of 135
latest reply

Nice of you to ask, did you read my exit plan? The account will be closed this year. I'll be even more specific,  Habitat for Humanity will start clearing the warehouse on the 27th as planned. Once again, the selling account will be closed this year. 

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.. 

Best of luck to you all 🙂   

Message 116 of 135
latest reply

This is my (last) selling account, all done in 2022 after 20+ years.. 

Best of luck

Message 117 of 135
latest reply

As a 23 year seller on ebay.....I am slowly headed for the exit myself.   This year was certainly the year that Ebay broke the camels back for me.

I'll be honest the transition will be painful......but with average fees being 22% plus free shipping and a competitive environment...I have had to look elsewhere.

My own personal website as well as another marketplace platform (only charging 7%) have shown some promise.   Sales have not been huge about 20% of my ebay sales but gradually the effort is beginning to pay of as it stood at 0% at the beginning of November.

Last year I paid ebay $76,000 in selling fees......I was set for a doubling of that this year.

I am not sure when a company's culture comes to a point where they view their customers with such contempt.   

It's a cultural problem at ebay.....but not really a shocker when you look at another California company (twitter) perceived their customers to be.

I think I'll always have an ebay profile but will only do the minimum to maintain top rated seller status.

Once my business shifts to about 60-70% off of ebay.....only 1-2 listings will remain active while I sell higher value products elsewhere

HK

Message 118 of 135
latest reply

@fairdeal*lb wrote:

The net return isn't worth all the trouble anymore. I'm one of the lucky ones, I can afford to walk away.

3 months later still listing like there is no end in sight.

Message 119 of 135
latest reply

Sure that's fine, get your last punches in. My Exit is going as planned, just read the thread.. I'm sorry, you'll just have to find someone else to troll. 

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.. 

Best of luck to you all 🙂

Message 120 of 135
latest reply