cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

(Store Closing 2022) After 10+ Years Selling on eBay. I'll Cover the Termination Fee, Not Waiting..

Actually, I've been selling on eBay for more than 20 years through two accounts. Over this time eBay has continued to take advantage, drip-drip.. The last-straw for us was the eBay PL Pay-to-Play scam, not a drip-drip, more like wave-wave.

eBay has lost (half) of it's market value this year, in turn, this platform is covering the core growth losses by going after sellers with said Pay-to-Play. All of this while selling expenses are already at their highest for sellers. 

The net return isn't worth all the trouble anymore. I'm one of the lucky ones, I can afford to walk away. Good luck fellow sellers.   

Message 1 of 135
latest reply
134 REPLIES 134

Re: (Store Closing 2022) After 10+ Years Selling on eBay. I'll Cover the Termination Fee, Not Waitin

I'm selling on alternate platforms too, and finally getting sales again! I learned firsthand this past week just how far behind ebay truly is in terms of its competitors after I started selling on M myself. A way better platform, and one that actually has traffic, and doesn't allow buyers to rent my items for 30 days and then return them on my dime. 

ebay's only goal is to make money out of thin air, its pathetic.

Message 76 of 135
latest reply

Re: (Store Closing 2022) After 10+ Years Selling on eBay. I'll Cover the Termination Fee, Not Waitin

I've found that Mercari is kind of the cheapest of the cheapest, though, when it comes to buyers, though I do OK on there with DVDs and CDs and oddments.  It's a very decent site.

“My life has been full of terrible misfortunes, most of which never happened.”
― Michel de Montaigne

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
#NoKing
Message 77 of 135
latest reply

@fairdeal*lb wrote:

You really don't understand how it works do you? Higher frontload, in turn, when the sale kicks in, the item will have the best price relative to similar items. You should read the thread before typing. Not a good look     

I've read the thread and I am still confused. When is the sale supposed to kick in? Because looking at it right now, I see no sale or discount. I see it listed for $38.65. I also see many other sellers listing the exact same thing for significantly less, so if I were looking to buy one right now I would not even glance at yours.

If you were always planning on listing it at a lower price then why not just list it at the lower price to start with? Buyers don't like it when sellers play games with pricing because it looks deceptive.

Message 78 of 135
latest reply

@chapeau-noir wrote:

I've found that Mercari is kind of the cheapest of the cheapest, though, when it comes to buyers, though I do OK on there with DVDs and CDs and oddments.  It's a very decent site.

Yeah, I gave up on trying to sell there for that exact reason. No sales but loads of lowball offers.

Message 79 of 135
latest reply

@chapeau-noir wrote:

I'm not sure I'd call people who participated in the PL scheme to be 'dummies' - some of us have a lot of experience in promoted listing style schemes and know when and how to use them - I started purchasing ad space on Google probably 12 or so years ago (maybe longer).  It's nothing new.

It's not even new here - eBay had a promotional scheme back in the early oughts called Featured Listings.  I didn't participate in that one, though.

What I *don't* want to have happen is for eBay to make the program mandatory like Etsy did - anyone who grosses over $10k/yr is opted into their 12% ad scheme and you can't opt out again. 

@chapeau-noir  - Yes - not everyone who sells here is "dumb" - PL standard used to be very effective for us and many other Sellers - with the addition of PL advanced, the landscape has changed drastically and not for the better for most smaller sellers not willing to do PL advanced.  

I too am hoping e-Bay is not inching towards the Etsy model.  It would be a true shame if they did.

....... "The Ranger isn't gonna like it Yogi"......... Boo-Boo knew what he was talking about!

Posting ID Only.......
Yes, I have no Bananas, only Flamethrowers.......
Message 80 of 135
latest reply

@katzrul15  I found their 'explanations' of what actually drives this awesome ad program leveraged by their awesome broken search to be inadequate.  I have no time for that kind of arrogant **bleep** from some arrogant **bleep** CEO.

ETA:  Oh for heaven's sake - the nanny-ware here bleeped out B.   S.  😂  We're over 18 here, Khoros.  We can take it.

“My life has been full of terrible misfortunes, most of which never happened.”
― Michel de Montaigne

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
#NoKing
Message 81 of 135
latest reply

Like I said, if you haven't noticed how broken the search by price is, I don't know what to tell you. Even when it worked everyone knows you don't compete on price because 3rd world slaves will beat you every time.

Message 82 of 135
latest reply

@nuclearomen wrote:

@mr_lincoln wrote:

@fairdeal*lb   

If enough long-time successful Sellers leave and close their accounts "maybe" someone at Home Office will notice and figure they messed up royally and need to change things ... time will tell.

Mr. L

@mr_lincoln nice thought, however, a very large portion of those long-time successful sellers are already gone from here. Another large portion of those are still here but not committing any serious inventory to the platform anymore. Another fractional portion of those and gearing themselves as we speak to leave the platform. And the last remaining portion will try to fill some of those voids and either make a new success or crash and burn. 

I'd like to respond as well. I could've easily picked that post by @mr_lincoln as the ultimate solution because it spotlighted my real goal here. Which is to bring attention to the choices I had to make as eBay goes down this path of Pay-to-Play instead of merit based sales, amongst other things. 

Just curious, what "portion" or category would you put @fairdeal*lb in?  

Message 83 of 135
latest reply

@chapeau-noir wrote:

@katzrul15  I found their 'explanations' of what actually drives this awesome ad program leveraged by their awesome broken search to be inadequate.  I have no time for that kind of arrogant **bleep** from some arrogant **bleep** CEO.

ETA:  Oh for heaven's sake - the nanny-ware here bleeped out B.   S.  😂  We're over 18 here, Khoros.  We can take it.

@chapeau-noir 

LOL ... I tried to state my college degree here once but sadly the Bee Sss  (Bachelor of Science) got the bleep ... not only are we over 18 but many here have college degrees .... duh ... 

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 84 of 135
latest reply

@fairdeal*lb wrote:

@nuclearomen wrote:

@mr_lincoln wrote:

@fairdeal*lb   

If enough long-time successful Sellers leave and close their accounts "maybe" someone at Home Office will notice and figure they messed up royally and need to change things ... time will tell.

Mr. L

@mr_lincoln nice thought, however, a very large portion of those long-time successful sellers are already gone from here. Another large portion of those are still here but not committing any serious inventory to the platform anymore. Another fractional portion of those and gearing themselves as we speak to leave the platform. And the last remaining portion will try to fill some of those voids and either make a new success or crash and burn. 

I'd like to respond as well. I could've easily picked that post by @mr_lincoln as the ultimate solution because it spotlighted my real goal here. Which is to bring attention to the choices I had to make as eBay goes down this path of Pay-to-Play instead of merit based sales, amongst other things. 

Just curious, what "portion" or category would you put @fairdeal*lb in?  

Obviously your in the portion of longtime successful sellers that are gearing to leave the platform. At least that's what you said. 

The PTP isn't ignored or unknown, the platform themselves don't even deny it anymore. Most on these boards know it. 

The great truth is there isn't one
And it only gets worse since that conclusion...
...There is something about the rigid posture of a proper, authentic blind
As if extended arms reached to pass his blindness onto others.
Message 85 of 135
latest reply

Just checked another one since you posted about the dremel. There are 68 blooming onion machines, the OP's is the 4rth highest priced one.

Same item $38 on Amazon, $22 on Poshmark. OP is correct competition and rising costs are having a direct impact on eBay sales, along with a number of other things. 

Message 86 of 135
latest reply

ebay does not care about sellers.    just a matter of time before  that has effect.   other venues are takeing ebay market share as we speak.   i dont feel bad for ebay. they have never really cared for the sellers that built them.

Message 87 of 135
latest reply

i walked away after 16 years last winter.    they wanted me to verify my phone number. (same one i used for 16 years.)  after 8 calls to the philipines (customer service with a accent)  nothing.   they were not able. i came on the forum and  was told to go to facebook. (which i will not do)  to solve my problem.  i gave them 3 weeks to contact me to fix it, came on the forum every day and posted.  NOTHING.   so i pulled my store.   if ebay cannot fix something as simple as a phone verification to one of its sellers, what can i expect for REAL PROBLEMS?     i verified my phone number on pay pal in like 1 minute.  ebay FAILS.

Message 88 of 135
latest reply

ohhhh been on here all of 2 sales!    let me get a pencil and jot down that wisdom.

Message 89 of 135
latest reply

@craigstevensstudio 

Been here 7 year longer than you so may not be that much to you having 7 more years experience but obviously way more knowledgeable about how Ebay works.

Message 90 of 135
latest reply