cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Solution to the "refund for INR while order is in-transit" problem

I hope I'm not the only one who thinks refunding buyers for INR cases while an order is still in-transit is a problem.

We live in an age of a deadly pandemic, state and county lockdowns, Covid-related mail delays, and as if that weren't enough, an administration that is literally slowing down the mail for political reasons.

Rather than giving buyers their money back when their order is delayed in the mail - often only to show up after they get their money back - how about ebay puts the money in escrow within their Managed Payments system. They control payments now. This seems easy enough to do.

1. A buyer files an INR for a late order where tracking indicates "in-transit"

2. ebay waits a reasonable amount of time

3. if no movement, ebay takes the purchase money and puts it in an escrow account

4. if after 3 weeks  (or whatever) the package indeed doesn't arrive, buyer gets the money

5, if after 3 weeks (or whatever) the package shows "delivered", money goes back to the seller

I trust we can all agree that refunding buyers for "in-transit" orders only to have that order delivered is a rather regrettable thing that everyone involved would like to prevent.

This escrow system puts everyone on notice, including the seller, who at least has the option to try to resolve the issue with USPS before some due date in order to not lose their money. If seller can do something to get the package delivered, problem solved. If not, at least there was an option to try, or to let it go if not worth it.

Posting ID
Message 1 of 56
latest reply
55 REPLIES 55

Re: Solution to the "refund for INR while order is in-transit" problem

Exactly. Warn the buyer in a disclaimer like everybody else is doing. Anywhere I buy there are disclaimers regarding COVID and now this USPS stuff. Along with this a BLOCK ON premature INR requests where items are shown in transit. With prompt to contact seller and USPS.

Message 46 of 56
latest reply

Excellent idea except they are supposedly going bankrupt so how are they going to pay for this. LOL!

Message 47 of 56
latest reply

@vintagecraze50 wrote:

Ebay needs to BLOCK premature INR requests with a prompt like Fed Ex does, tracking shows your package is on it’s way. With reference to COVID and USPS issues. Forget the escrow blah blah.

Whether or not USPS is operating normally, ebay is not going to eliminate the customer's ability to file an INR case after shipping but before arrival.

It makes sense that they should have this ability, but it also makes sense that there be a process to prevent or limit premature refunding that gives at least some deference to sellers. As it stands now, sellers get the shaft and have nothing to say about it. I think this is unnecessary.

Posting ID
Message 48 of 56
latest reply

YES, USPS is the responsible, or irresponsible party in this equation.

Message 49 of 56
latest reply

Ebay needs to act responsibly to their sellers in this situation. Either block the premature INR or refund the seller the money they lost.

Message 50 of 56
latest reply

Look, many people are having to wait for these orders due to COVID and whatever other issues. People are not being reasonable with what is going on now. People need to understand that this is NOT BUSINESS AS USUAL. Lucky that they are able to get their goods and services at all. Everybody be patient for goodness sakes.

Message 51 of 56
latest reply

Adding it seems Amazon IS THE only one unscathed by this problem becuase of their own infrastructure. That’s great but what about everybody else?

Message 52 of 56
latest reply

Ok, THEN when they file the INR these cases need to be automatically extended due to the current circumstances without having to call in to Ebay to get it done. I read an article this morning that stated that USPS is not the only shipping company that will be effected by these issues. Fed Ex and UPS heavily rely on USPS for the delivery of their services as well as USPS is the go between on many deliveries. Some of my FED ex Deliveries are also delayed this month. Adding to this, I read that Amazon 2 day deliveries are getting special treatment and not left behind per this article. Totally some kind of political clout going on possibly with that one.

Message 53 of 56
latest reply

I was seriously thinking about switching to FED EX but after I read this news tha I am willing to pay extra cash for their service if they are going to be effected by this as well, more money down the drain.

Message 54 of 56
latest reply

RE:  an administration that is literally slowing down the mail for political reasons

Seriously, I don't get what you are talking about.  Could you provide, details if any exist?

Message 55 of 56
latest reply

Stay on top of the news on the internet about what is happening to the postal system. It’s quite a hot topic.

Message 56 of 56
latest reply