cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Social security number wanted.

I have been a Ebay member buyer/seller since 1999 untill recently my account was frozen because I refuse to give up my SSN. No one should have to give up there SSN.the reason is that you will be reported to the IRS so that you will have to pay more taxes because its earn income.most of us who rely on making a few dollars are tax those of us who are retire and living on fix social security income depend on flea markets and garage sales for extra cash it's going to get to a point if you stop to use a restroom you will be tax it's out of control . I will close my account with Ebay and sell where I'm not under pressure to keep them happy the more you sale on Ebay the better they look there employees get pay and there stocks go up.

Message 1 of 459
latest reply
458 REPLIES 458

Re: Social security number wanted.

I'm one of those "crabby old timers". We aren't all leaving.

Oh shoot!  Then the 'secret plan' isn't working! 🤣

Bravo on your post and attempts to help others understand the issues around selling, SSN and taxes!

Message 166 of 459
latest reply

@3eyedfishcatcher wrote:

If you are  a long time user  from the time before eBay sold PayPal and the 2 companies parted ways most likely eBay already has your social security number on file some were along with the rest of your personal information. 

REally?!?!?  I've been here for over 20 years and I don't remember there even being a field for your SSN before MP sign up.  

What are you referring to and why would Ebay need anyone's SSN prior to them becoming the money processor?  I can assure you that had Ebay asked me for my SSN prior to MP they would have never gotten it from me as they had no need or legal requirement to have it.  Now with MP it is different.   They do have to have it.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 167 of 459
latest reply

eBay never asked for SSN before MP so you are spreading rumors 

Now if you registered as a business and did not have a EIN then if sole proprietor you would of had to give then your SSN, but I doubt we are talking about that. 

I personally do not understand the hesitation on MP but I guess many are now worried that they will be responsible for IRS  and State and that they have been hiding from that for so long it freaks them out. 

The online selling world  of 2021 is not that of 1998 

Message 168 of 459
latest reply

@no_zero369 wrote:

I'm one of those "crabby old timers". We aren't all leaving.

Oh shoot!  Then the 'secret plan' isn't working! 🤣

Bravo on your post and attempts to help others understand the issues around selling, SSN and taxes

@coastaltechsolution wrote:

eBay never asked for SSN before MP so you are spreading rumors 

Now if you registered as a business and did not have a EIN then if sole proprietor you would of had to give then your SSN, but I doubt we are talking about that. 

I personally do not understand the hesitation on MP but I guess many are now worried that they will be responsible for IRS  and State and that they have been hiding from that for so long it freaks them out. 

The online selling world  of 2021 is not that of 1998 

@coastaltechsolution 

Um gosh!  How is it that I am spreading rumors with that post!  If I messed up, I'll be glad to admit it.  Just curious.

Message 169 of 459
latest reply

LOL I was responding and might have got you caught up in it but did not mean you explicitly 

Message 170 of 459
latest reply

OK, no worries!  I occasionally do something "interesting"! 😎

Message 171 of 459
latest reply

I think this is an interesting theory that wont hold! in all 9 out of 10 items large sellers offerings on eBay I can get it cheaper, delivered faster with much much and I mean much better return and customer service from Amazon and walmart - I come to eBay to get that refurb, parts, used, antique items I can't find on Amazon so delusion of becoming the next Walmart (I dont even dream beating Amazon) is moot. eBay tried it with "selected" high brand only and we package for you dream at Fedex that you could ship and they would sell did not work. you see that is why eBay is really going to miss. when you can't find all those cool items from these small sellers the incentive of eBay is dead you will buy it from Amazon. 

Message 172 of 459
latest reply

it is not that SS number ask that  is going to be concern for some people, it is privacy and matter of principal and doing an honest business, asking for ssn is to curb illegal immigrant from making money and for IRS to crack down on sellers with multiple accounts - all seems to be legit - I pay taxes and I love to see government treat all the same but I like to have my privacy - it is none of eBay business to run a credit report on me! it is none of eBay business to know even who I am! IRS has its own tool to control Americans and to some degree did a decent job - not fair to most of us I know - some got away with paying nothing and made millions but nothing is perfect but selling on a platform that can have advantage on you for no reason is wrong - I am not selling on Amazon anymore I wont bend

Message 173 of 459
latest reply

This is where you are wrong! I bought a garmet from a shop and paid taxes - used it for 2 years and selling it for a loss (pay attention to the word loss) I am not making money I am losing money - and yet it is taxable ? how about when I am returning it - perhaps it is taxable too? why dont we tax it when I wear it - or better why dont we ask people to wear a tag on their forhead showing the depreciation ? com on - every transaaction is not a taxable transaction and not a business transaction stop pushing your head down the dune ! 

Message 174 of 459
latest reply

@andshe_21 wrote:

com on - every transaaction is not a taxable transaction and not a business transaction stop pushing your head down the dune ! 

That depends on the state. Where I live, used items ARE taxable. If you purchase anything from a thrift store or a rummage sale, you have to pay taxes on it the same way you would with new items.

Message 175 of 459
latest reply

Wow.  Really uninformed.

Good Moms let you lick the Beaters.

Great Moms turn them off first.
Message 176 of 459
latest reply

That is neither her nor there and IT NEVER CHANGED.  That is why some of us have resale numbers-so we don't pay tax when we buy.

Message 177 of 459
latest reply

OK Then, bye.

Message 178 of 459
latest reply

Want to do something fun?  Call the IRS and ask them that question.  So many laughs.

Message 179 of 459
latest reply

@andshe_21 wrote:

it is not that SS number ask that  is going to be concern for some people, it is privacy and matter of principal and doing an honest business, asking for ssn is to curb illegal immigrant from making money and for IRS to crack down on sellers with multiple accounts - all seems to be legit - I pay taxes and I love to see government treat all the same but I like to have my privacy - it is none of eBay business to run a credit report on me! it is none of eBay business to know even who I am! IRS has its own tool to control Americans and to some degree did a decent job - not fair to most of us I know - some got away with paying nothing and made millions but nothing is perfect but selling on a platform that can have advantage on you for no reason is wrong - I am not selling on Amazon anymore I wont bend

@andshe_21 

Why?  Ebay has held private account information and even some financial information on members for over 25 years.  Why would that suddenly change??

OMG, illegal immigrants may be part of it but the Anti Money Laundering laws are call that for a reason and doesn't always have to do with illegal immigrants.  Asking for an SSN is a way of verifying someone's ID.  It is done for a variety of reasons, terrorist, drug dealers, illegal immigrants, etc.

But it has NOTHING to do with Seller's having multiple accounts.  IRS could care less if I have one account on Ebay or 20.  What IRS cares about is that I report my sales on my yearly Federal Income Tax return.

Good luck in whatever you decide to do.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 180 of 459
latest reply