cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

So over 20% of price of sale isnt good enough. EBAY Made ME pay for shipping

So as if its not insult enough the Feebay took over 20% of my sales, they actually made me pay for the shipping.   Hmm so the customer pays for shipping that has nothing to do with the actual sale of the item.

Then FeeBay collects over 20% of the sales of my ITEM+Shipping, and expects me to pay for the shipping. 

Something is VERY VERY Wrong here.

Message 1 of 30
latest reply
29 REPLIES 29

Re: So over 20% of price of sale isnt good enough. EBAY Made ME pay for shipping

@tecknoid2005 

This might be new to you, too. >> Payments on hold | eBay

Message 16 of 30
latest reply

Re: So over 20% of price of sale isnt good enough. EBAY Made ME pay for shipping

I deal with and talk to Sellers all over the world.  Most agree that if you are a company doing volume business this is not the platform to be on.  I know of several million dollar Sellers that have left.  I was one now only doing 15% on eBay.  If you have overhead and employees the amount in fees, meaning the net from a sale when you account for FVF on Tax and Shipping, are just too high.  So yes the platform will be around catering to smaller Sellers that are not needing to produce income to satisfy a real business with overhead.  

Message 17 of 30
latest reply

@soh.maryl wrote:

Can you show us the breakdown of a transaction where eBay's Final Value Fee was over 20% of any sale?

And, if a customer had to actually pay USPS for shipping, you can expect a complaint from the customer because, usually the customer pays the seller when paying for his purchase and the seller uses those funds to buy the shipping label.  

I am sure it involves that new math we have heard about over the years.  We'll never understand it.

Message 18 of 30
latest reply

@zoda99 wrote:

This is the eBay forums. Since you used feebay instead to sell, you need to use their forums for service support.

Best response I've read in a long time....

Message 19 of 30
latest reply

Please be real.  This Seller is talking about the actual net profit he puts in his pocket and the amount of the sale eBay puts in there's.  I'll give you an example of a sale I did last week on eBay.  Buyer purchased a $70 item that weighed  35 lbs and went in a 16x16x16 box going to France.  Shipping was $58.25 which the customer paid.  Now here we go:  Item cost $38 leaving $32 in gross profit.  In my category this was a 9.95% FVF item +0.30.  eBay took in FVF, when adding the 0.30 and the FVF including shipping FVF, eBay received $13.06 of the sale meaning eBay received 40.8% of the profit not counting cost of shipping and shipping materials.  This same math problem works on all sales you do on eBay.  So shipping and location have a great deal to do with how much money you will make.  If I wanted a 40% partner I would want them to kick in 40% of the overhead.  This is why people like me are leaving.

The eBay people on these threads will respond to this "well just raise you prices" .  Only a person with no business experience would say something like that.  In the computer parts category the market sets prices and you will only get what the market will pay.  In the real world, not the eBay world, sales happen organically which is the normal path of business.  

Message 20 of 30
latest reply

Curious; where can you sell used/refurbished etc. computer parts?

Do you only pay a percentage of the sale on the item only? Shipping/Tax is excluded?

Message 21 of 30
latest reply

@zoda99 

😆 oh that's money!

Message 22 of 30
latest reply

It's more than a little concerning that an eBay who's been here for over 21 years had no idea of the fee schedule.  

Message 23 of 30
latest reply

craigslist.

Message 24 of 30
latest reply

Craigslist.

Message 25 of 30
latest reply

We currently are on 4 selling platforms.  BrokerBin, which charges $2k a year and no other fees, sell directly to distributors in the computer business (this is where a large part of our Buyers come from).  PowerSource, is like BrokerBin selling to a more retail trade.  Our own website and as you know eBay.  We have been on Amazon, however computer parts don't work well not because they won't sell.  The problem is Amazon allows selling in the same listing new, used or refurbished parts.  This causes many issues with the Buyer.  With the category changes that make us list items in the wrong category in order for Buyers to search the product and the changing of item specifics to suit a one size fits all platform our sales have deceased by 60% eBay.  Really bad management.

Message 26 of 30
latest reply

@allthingssurplus wrote:

Please be real.  This Seller is talking about the actual net profit he puts in his pocket and the amount of the sale eBay puts in there's.  I'll give you an example of a sale I did last week on eBay.  Buyer purchased a $70 item that weighed  35 lbs and went in a 16x16x16 box going to France.  Shipping was $58.25 which the customer paid.  Now here we go:  Item cost $38 leaving $32 in gross profit.  In my category this was a 9.95% FVF item +0.30.  eBay took in FVF, when adding the 0.30 and the FVF including shipping FVF, eBay received $13.06 of the sale meaning eBay received 40.8% of the profit not counting cost of shipping and shipping materials.  This same math problem works on all sales you do on eBay.  So shipping and location have a great deal to do with how much money you will make.  If I wanted a 40% partner I would want them to kick in 40% of the overhead.  This is why people like me are leaving.

As you discovered, some things are not worth selling online. A couple of years back I sold off a bunch of my parents' old luggage that they no longer wanted/needed. I sold it all on Craigslist, local pickup only, because the shipping would have killed any profit I would have made trying to sell it online due to the size.

Message 27 of 30
latest reply

EXAMPLE:  I sold a book for $25 and ebay fee was $5.22 leaving my payout $19.78 which is 20%‼️  I think charging fees of 20% is way too high.  Wonder what Amazon fees are. 

Message 28 of 30
latest reply

If you look at transaction details for your order the final value fee for books is not 20% it is 14.95%. Plus 40 cent per transaction fee. 
Also you're dragging up an ancient thread from 2 years ago. 

Message 29 of 30
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread HERE if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

Message 30 of 30
latest reply