cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Significant Drops in eBay Impressions and Organic Page Views: A Huge Problem

Since April 6th, my eBay impressions have dropped significantly from an average above 1 million to around 500k, and now they hover at around 600k. Despite contacting customer service, I received an unhelpful response that everything looks fine. Frustratingly, I have continued to upload new listings every day, but sales have still decreased. On April 25th, a new issue arose where my organic page views showed 0, which is clearly not accurate. I reached out to customer service, but their response was again unhelpful and similar to my previous experience. These ongoing problems have made me feel unstable and unsure about eBay's reliability. I am now considering moving to another platform, but before making that decision, I want to know if others are facing similar issues.

249B3DC1-1AA2-4384-82F0-09B662A86930.png

0F101940-88F7-4DAF-B211-C7F6C27509B6.png

Message 1 of 346
latest reply
345 REPLIES 345

Sorry i meant International shipping program, i forgot the global shipping was replaced.  The video he was saying opting into the new Intl Shipping was causing problems.

Message 271 of 346
latest reply

UPDATE-- I finished yesterday with 216 EXTERNAL SITE PAGE VIEWS and only 113 ORGANIC PAGE VIEWS. Again in 9 years of selling I have never had a day when my EXTERNAL Page Views out numbered my ORGANIC Page Views! only a single sale yesterday with over 2600 listings and it was an item that has been on a WATCH LIST for awhile. Today is starting out the same with 50 EXTERNAL Page Views and only 13 ORGANIC Page Views. 

Message 272 of 346
latest reply

brian_burke@ebay wrote:

@zamo-zuan I understand your frustration. My response was to get information that will help our teams identify the issue, if it came across as other than that I apologize.

Due to this thread, the VP in charge of North America got involved to ensure this issue was escalated to the product team and the identified issue resolved. It's clear from the continuation of the thread that not everything was addressed. 

That was the latest information we had...it was resolved. Given the additional posts we want to circle back with the team responsible. The more specific I can be the better, that is all I was asking for. 

I will circle back with you with additional information once I hear back from the team.  

Thank you. 

Brian

Thank you for the continued response. The important thing to factor here is if you look at the dates that it was supposed to have been resolved, as shown in the info shared here, the issue just "changed characteristics" rather than being resolved. 

Updating again for reference:

zamozuan_0-1683817841809.png

zamozuan_1-1683817877234.png

zamozuan_2-1683817904820.png

Message 273 of 346
latest reply

@ekmadonna wrote:

UPDATE-- I finished yesterday with 216 EXTERNAL SITE PAGE VIEWS and only 113 ORGANIC PAGE VIEWS. Again in 9 years of selling I have never had a day when my EXTERNAL Page Views out numbered my ORGANIC Page Views! only a single sale yesterday with over 2600 listings and it was an item that has been on a WATCH LIST for awhile. Today is starting out the same with 50 EXTERNAL Page Views and only 13 ORGANIC Page Views. 

In the way it's fluctuating, external page views seems to be being used as a "buffer" in between consistencies. 

If familiar with DSLR cameras, external is basically sharing similar characteristics to how you'd use ISO.

This whole situation is just quite insane. It should be a huge revelation that these traffic statistics are being calculated/extrapolated at all. And for it to actually have glitches that expose the way it works, and they still not fix it, is insane.

Should we even asking for this to be fixed, knowing it'll just be made to add up correctly? Or should we be asking for *real genuine counts* of our traffic, and transparency to show that what we're being told is actually real, rather than the results of a balancing algorithm that's intended to make the numbers look nice and seem like we're getting value from our investment?

Message 274 of 346
latest reply

@zamo-zuan wrote:

@ekmadonna wrote:

In the way it's fluctuating, external page views seems to be being used as a "buffer" in between consistencies. 

If familiar with DSLR cameras, external is basically sharing similar characteristics to how you'd use ISO.

This whole situation is just quite insane. It should be a huge revelation that these traffic statistics are being calculated/extrapolated at all. And for it to actually have glitches that expose the way it works, and they still not fix it, is insane.

Should we even asking for this to be fixed, knowing it'll just be made to add up correctly? Or should we be asking for *real genuine counts* of our traffic, and transparency to show that what we're being told is actually real, rather than the results of a balancing algorithm that's intended to make the numbers look nice and seem like we're getting value from our investment?

Really not hard to do and would help identify problems if there.  Get some cheap hosting, insert a single pixel images into listings (aka: img_(listing_no).png /  img_(listing_no.png) stored at the host and examine the hits.  Whether organic or external you should see all adds up to what the webhost shows as hits on said single pixel images.

Message 275 of 346
latest reply

@ekmadonna wrote:

Thanks @ekmadonna ! Please keep an eye on it and let us know if those numbers for yesterday change in the coming days - what I've seen from others is the numbers seem to fluctuate days later, like eBay is catching up or "fixing" the stats after the fact.

Message 276 of 346
latest reply

@zamo-zuan wrote:

@ekmadonna wrote:

Note:  That views external can very well be bot views even though eBay states not counting those and/or rejecting them that really depends on how those "bots" are operating and/or identification attempted.  For example when I coded up a re-price many many moons ago (like 20) for Amazon it was a visual basic program and as Amazon AWS began filtering data coming back I altered the code to also scrape data.  That would show statistically to them as views yet really were not.  They were not even browser views, they were HTTP requests generated by the application and the resultant data parsed for the information.

So what I'm sayin' here is as eBay may have done away with bot counts or filtering off that doesn't mean the entities whomever they may be just went and stopped accessing eBay listings via the way the bots worked and were identified.  Instead they may well work around it using generic HTTP requests scraping data vs using say the API(s) and thus that would appear as external views.  Heck they could even automate core web browser control such as Firefox or others where essentially the user interface(s) are simply shells over the actual browser control.

If eBay's actions against Bots may have resulted in some entities who used Bots to access eBay data ended up costing said entities revenues in some way then odds are said entities will code around the filtering/blocking.

Not knowing anything about eBays internal code structure / Cassini etc if said entities whomever they might be are scraping listings thus creating external page views those views could in theory play into Cassini or other code.  For example, if I coded an aspect of a search engine that used views vs conversions (in this case purchases) whereby 'nn' views without conversion end up ranking said object (item) in search rank weight well you can see the potential problem.  In my example those external scraping views without conversion could lower rank weighting of said object and thus suppress it (or the opposite if coded that way, raise rank based on external views), thus the organic views get skewed accordingly.

Message 277 of 346
latest reply

Years ago.......I'm talking 15 or more, ebay had a 3rd party program called Ominture (sp?) that provided much more info in a clearer form (to me) than this mess they are now presenting.....  The things I remember most is that it showed the string (url) of where the buyer came from before viewing an item......on or off ebay, what the search terms were and, I think where they went after viewing something.  had a lot more, but my memory isn't great anymore.    Not everyone could "get" the program to load or work which is probably the reason they dumped it.  I used it frequently though and thought it helped alot, especially for search terms since I was actually seeing how buyers were searching.....  Brian and Griff are probably the only ones around now that might remember it......  This reinvention just doesn't work for me.........

just a bit of nostalgia

Message 278 of 346
latest reply

@zamo-zuan wrote:

@ekmadonna wrote:

@zamo-zuan totally agree!

At this point it's not enough for eBay to just to declare it "fixed" by simply correcting whatever is affecting the reporting that has revealed these issues, they absolutely must address the questions that have been raised here about how this data is being extrapolated with formulas/algorithms instead of actually counted and provide in-depth, transparent answers.

Message 279 of 346
latest reply

elizabeth@ebay @valueaddedresource devon@ebay @retro-treasureparadise 

Just a theory, but is it possible our "external" site views are coming from EIS traffic?  And because we are getting a ton of those "external" views, the system is throttling us?  I seem to remember someone saying that a ton of external views actually hurts your store.  Our external views have been increasing since Mid-March.  

HK Resale_Impressions_ViewsMar2023-May2023.JPGNote: Sales are still down 25%.  We sell NOS locksmith, automotive & small engine parts.  

Message 280 of 346
latest reply

I feel your pain. I moved to Mercari and things were great there for a few weeks until I ran afoul of drawbacks with their shipping system. Their Customer Service was quite possibly even less helpful than Ebay's Customer Service.

Seller fees are significantly less on Mercari; I would definitely encourage Sellers to at least TRY it.

Message 281 of 346
latest reply

@hk-resale wrote:

elizabeth@ebay @valueaddedresource devon@ebay @retro-treasureparadise 

Just a theory, but is it possible our "external" site views are coming from EIS traffic?  And because we are getting a ton of those "external" views, the system is throttling us?  I seem to remember someone saying that a ton of external views actually hurts your store.  Our external views have been increasing since Mid-March.  

HK Resale_Impressions_ViewsMar2023-May2023.JPGNote: Sales are still down 25%.  We sell NOS locksmith, automotive & small engine parts.  

@hk-resale anything is possible but I'm not sure how likely EIS external views are to be a factor and/or if that is a separate issue from some of the other things we are seeing in this thread or not.

I'm not aware of there being anything particularly negative about having a lot of external views specifically, but would be interested to hear more about that idea if you have more information.

However, I believe that eBay does look at things like click through rates and sales conversion rates and that those are factored in some ways into algorithms for search placement etc. Generally speaking if you get a lot of views that don't convert into sales, that would lower your average sales conversion rate and over time that could hurt your search placement, impact sales etc, but that would typically be a much more gradual process than what a lot of sellers are reporting here.

And that's why I think it's so important for eBay to address the questions that have been raised about where these numbers are coming from, why they are being extrapolated by formulas instead of actual counts, how that extrapolated data is fed into other algorithms on the platform and how that may impact visibility and sales.

At this point it's completely a black box - we can see enough to know things don't add up but unfortunately nobody except eBay has access to the information that would unlock the answers.

Message 282 of 346
latest reply

Well I can see this is going to be another thread that goes on for ever as sales sink to oblivion and NO ONE from eBay ever comes to help.

I know you see us!

Will I get MY $1000++ a month sales back...ever?

Message 283 of 346
latest reply

I'm so sad this thread is still going. I had to stop thinking about this and went back to counting inventory and checking listings. I'm sure someone will help soon.

Message 284 of 346
latest reply

@gotta-have-it-collectables wrote:

Well I can see this is going to be another thread that goes on for ever as sales sink to oblivion and NO ONE from eBay ever comes to help.

I know you see us!

Will I get MY $1000++ a month sales back...ever?

@gotta-have-it-collectables per Brian Burke's responses earlier in this thread, they are escalating examples to the product teams and the VP of North America is aware of this thread as well.

While it's good for anyone with concerns to chime in here, I think the best thing we can all do at this point is to provide very specific examples (with screenshots if possible) of exactly what you are seeing in your reports and detailed data about how you believe it is impacting your account.

Detailed reports are helpful all around - they provide specific points of direction for the product teams to dig into and also provide specific points/questions for everyone here to keep track of and hold eBay accountable for getting answers to. 😉

For anyone who isn't comfortable sharing that level of information publicly, all of the community staff are also aware of this thread so you should be able to reach out to Kyle, Elizabeth, or Devon to have them send your examples to the product teams as well.

Message 285 of 346
latest reply