cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ships today if paid within 8 hrs 59 mins ???

Today I just noticed this on my listings. A counter telling the buyer that their item would ship "today" if paid within that count down time frame.  Right now at 8:06am EST it says "Ships today if paid within 8 hrs 52 mins".

Now we are a SUPER fast shipper. We ship everyday aside from Sunday with a 1 day handling time. I've been known to personally even take a second batch of packages after our pickup just because I like to get items out fast!

However this message will be misleading to buyers as this time frame is #1) After our post office closes for the day. and #2) After our scheduled pickup time for USPS.  If I have a 1 day handling time frame why is there even a message saying that it will ship within the same day anyway? While we DO ship within the same day there are instances where a later paid order has to wait until the very next morning (Yet still ship within our quoted 1 day handling time frame).

This is making me a bit worried because buyers will hold us to this. If they pay at 4:30pm today and that timer says that we will be shipping it today we have no way to actually do so as our PO will be closed.

Can someone kindly assist me with this question as it has be a bit worried and confused?

Message 1 of 22
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Thank you @fern*wood 

I was able to locate the setting that changes the time that is specified for the cut off of 1-day shipping.

Under Manage shipping settings -> Set same business day handling times

This changes that timer to your schedule and seems to have corrected my timer so that it corresponds to 30 minutes before our USPS pickup. It seems to have corrected my listings which is great! And solves my issue. I don't have a problem with the timer.. just with it being set to PST time frames which I was able to correct now.

Edited to add: You can also change the time zone here as well.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 17 of 22
latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

Best to go with two-day shipping. Gives you a lot more time to ship items, especially if they are purchased on a Thursday or Friday. Depending on the day of purchase, you may not need to ship until Tuesday.

I used be set up for one day shipping. Never again.

Message 2 of 22
latest reply

It looks like this timer is displaying for sellers who have Guaranteed Delivery set for their listings.  Of course someone at eBay didn't consider that you need time to pack and get it to the post office before they close!  We've had many discussions with eBay staff on these boards about expected delivery dates and how messed up they are these days.  According to them, eBay actually ignores our estimated handling times and uses our shipping history to determine what dates they will show for shipping (see post #81 in the thread below).   You'll probably get rid of the hourly timer by removing Guarantee Delivery if you want to try that.  Then I'd call and complain to eBay CS.

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/Warning-1-Day-Handling-is-Becoming-the-New-Default/m-p/3027067... 

Message 3 of 22
latest reply

Unfortunately, it has been posted a number of times, by the 'blues', that the estimated time given to buyers is often influenced by the promptness of the shipping buy the seller. 

Soooooo, if you have a history of shipping 'immediately', making second trips to get an item out the same day, bending over backwards to be a good seller, it isn't, necessarily, going to make any difference if you have a one day or 5 day handling time when ebay tells a buyer when to expect a package - or when it will be shipped. 

It's all your fault for being efficient.

Not saying 'NO' doesn't mean 'YES'.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 4 of 22
latest reply

@byrd69er wrote:

Best to go with two-day shipping. Gives you a lot more time to ship items, especially if they are purchased on a Thursday or Friday. Depending on the day of purchase, you may not need to ship until Tuesday.

I used be set up for one day shipping. Never again.

Thank you for the reply. We don't really have a problem with the 1 day handling with shipping and don't have a problem meeting the guidelines for it.  It's just with the timer being past business hours the TIMER is the problem as it doesn't allow for 1 day handling at all. 

Message 5 of 22
latest reply

@csbbct wrote:

It looks like this timer is displaying for sellers who have Guaranteed Delivery set for their listings.  Of course someone at eBay didn't consider that you need time to pack and get it to the post office before they close!  We've had many discussions with eBay staff on these boards about expected delivery dates and how messed up they are these days.  According to them, eBay actually ignores our estimated handling times and uses our shipping history to determine what dates they will show for shipping (see post #81 in the thread below).   You'll probably get rid of the hourly timer by removing Guarantee Delivery if you want to try that.  Then I'd call and complain to eBay CS.

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/Warning-1-Day-Handling-is-Becoming-the-New-Default/m-p/3027067... 

Thank you. I will go and read this. 

Message 6 of 22
latest reply

@gracieallen01 wrote:

Unfortunately, it has been posted a number of times, by the 'blues', that the estimated time given to buyers is often influenced by the promptness of the shipping buy the seller. 

Soooooo, if you have a history of shipping 'immediately', making second trips to get an item out the same day, bending over backwards to be a good seller, it isn't, necessarily, going to make any difference if you have a one day or 5 day handling time when ebay tells a buyer when to expect a package - or when it will be shipped. 

It's all your fault for being efficient.

Hmm.. That's highly disconcerting considering that we do, 99% of the time ship immediately. However, I don't like my buyers to be disappointed if they buy an item from me and it says that we will ship it that very same day when there is nothing that we can do to get it shipped and in fact our handling time allows for 1 day handling not SAME day shipping JUST because of this. I can't force the PO to be open when it's not so this is a bit of an interesting situation for us.

Message 7 of 22
latest reply

@rdjsystemservices wrote:

Hmm.. That's highly disconcerting considering that we do, 99% of the time ship immediately. However, I don't like my buyers to be disappointed if they buy an item from me and it says that we will ship it that very same day when there is nothing that we can do to get it shipped and in fact our handling time allows for 1 day handling not SAME day shipping JUST because of this. I can't force the PO to be open when it's not so this is a bit of an interesting situation for us.

It is one of those things that happens when one turns everything over to computer programs and 'AI' and 'bots.  If they aren't programmed by someone who take into consideration ALL circumstances and situations, all probabilities and likelihoods, then you get 'generalizations'.

Welcome to hi-tech.  Smiley Sad

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 8 of 22
latest reply

There is a cut off time to ship by available to set in preferences if you offer same day shipping.  I don't know if it will do anything for this ebay faux same day shipping promise.

Message 9 of 22
latest reply

Ah well. I will just continue to do my best and hope for the best.

Thank you for your replies.

Message 10 of 22
latest reply

@fern*wood wrote:

There is a cut off time to ship by available to set in preferences if you offer same day shipping.  I don't know if it will do anything for this ebay faux same day shipping promise.

I will do and take a look for this. Thank you kindly.

Message 11 of 22
latest reply

Ah well. I will just continue to do my best and hope for the best.

Thank you for your replies.

Yeah, us against the computer.

Just remember to NEVER say 'Forget it" to a computer.  Smiley LOL

Message 12 of 22
latest reply

@fern*wood wrote:

I will do and take a look for this. Thank you kindly.

It's a good thought, but unfortunately eBay is not reading the shipping cut off time data in regards to the same day shipping glitch.

I offer next day shipping. My shipping preferences have a same day cut off time of 6:00 am PT even though I don't use same day shipping.

I looked at one of my current listings and it shows same day shipping and guaranteed by Dec 10 if paid for by noon PT. This screenshot was taken a short while ago.

samedayship.jpg

tyler@ebay- this is another aspect to the same day shipping glitch- eBay is showing a countdown for guaranteed delivery based on same day shipping and payment by noon PT.

Message 13 of 22
latest reply

A  couple of things.............

Check a number of your listings to be sure "same day shipping" does NOT appear in one little boxes just above......this was happening, was reported......and from what I can see on MY items, was stopped, but don't know if it was an overall fix or not.  Same day did NOT appear on every listing, but the time did.

If you have 1 day shipping, recognize that the time for payment does NOT show/have a requirement for same day shipping.   It ONLY involves what the buyer has to do.   So it's OK for one day shipping.........they pay by 5pm, you ship the next day....... the delivery will be the same that ebay states.     I would guess it's ebay trying to put "urgency"  to buy. 

But there may be another problem present.......check the delivery dates to yourself.......or anywhere else.....(California  93405, PA 17983), in some cases the delivery dates priority and/or lst class are the same.......  while Click & ship is showing priority delivery to Cal (mailed today......Sat).......ebay is showing (for me 1 day handling) Dec 12/Thurs.......  I opted OUT of guaranteed delivery last wk......so no reason to "pad" the times to avoid paying out late deliveries.  So instead of over promising, they are under promising.......  While I understand shipping delays, blah, blah........this is really going to hit when the "last" mailing days are coming around........delivery won't be shown in time for Xmas 4 days before USPS says it will be delivered before Xmas?    This has been reported according to the blues on Tech board......but I hope sellers scream bloody murder about it.  Between this and the problems with Markdown manger taking days to run......... sure need some "quick" resolution here......

Message 14 of 22
latest reply

Just checked one of mine.

Seems that the noon cutoff time is being figured into my countdown for GD.

I have 3 day handling. I do understand the "historical data" factor coming into play, but this is another example of where something has gone tooooooooo  far awry.

count down time.jpg

Message 15 of 22
latest reply