cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seller makes offer & then says they can't pay for 2 weeks? Am I required to tolerate that?

I had a guy that put in an offer on an item, which I accepted, and when he hadn't paid in 2 days I asked him to kindly submit payment so I could mail his item, after which he told me "sorry for the inconvenience but I can't pay until 12/27".   Am I required to tolerate/accept that?   I told him maybe he should not have ordered if he couldn't pay for it but he hasn't responded.  It's a whole $12.99 total.   Really?

thanks

Message 1 of 48
latest reply
47 REPLIES 47

Re: Seller makes offer & then says they can't pay for 2 weeks? Am I required to tolerate that?

I WOULD TREAT IT LIKE ANY OTHER TRANSACTION, WAIT 3 DAYS AND FILE A NON-PAYING BIDDER CLAIM.

Message 31 of 48
latest reply

Re: Seller makes offer & then says they can't pay for 2 weeks? Am I required to tolerate that?

@sambndude wrote:

I had a guy that put in an offer on an item, which I accepted, and when he hadn't paid in 2 days I asked him to kindly submit payment so I could mail his item, after which he told me "sorry for the inconvenience but I can't pay until 12/27".   Am I required to tolerate/accept that?   I told him maybe he should not have ordered if he couldn't pay for it but he hasn't responded.  It's a whole $12.99 total.   Really?

thanks

With art it's pretty standard thing for people to pay when they get ready when they don't know the eBay customs,I'd let it play out if you say something you could hurt their feelings and of course when people are hurt they hurt back could be worse he could have paid and told you not to ship for 2 weeks causing you to get defects on shipping time.i have at the top of my store page "don't pay until your ready for shipment" because of that,not highly probable but could turn out to be a good customer,

Message 32 of 48
latest reply

I told him maybe he should not have ordered if he couldn't pay for it but he hasn't responded.  

I really hope you didn't put it exactly that way.  I'm not sure what you want him to respond with?  

If he does pay, hopefully he won't post feedback reflecting your communication style.  

I'm not saying you don't have a point, but IMO it didn't have to be communicated as such.

Message 33 of 48
latest reply

@hillbillymedia wrote:

Yes, who cares what the sellers financial situation is or if they were counting on the sale to improve their Christmas. Maybe I should ask ebay for an extension of paying my ebay fees in the spirit of Christmas?

In the OP first post they said it is only 12.99 as if to suggest it is such a small amount.  The seller in this debate has not and is not saying anything like what you just created.

Good Luck Selling!

Message 34 of 48
latest reply

@goodluckselling wrote:

@hillbillymedia wrote:

Yes, who cares what the sellers financial situation is or if they were counting on the sale to improve their Christmas. Maybe I should ask ebay for an extension of paying my ebay fees in the spirit of Christmas?

In the OP first post they said it is only 12.99 as if to suggest it is such a small amount.  The seller in this debate has not and is not saying anything like what you just created.

Good Luck Selling!

You are correct. The OP expressed their disatisfaction at being taken advantage of. You on the other hand, implied that it was really no big deal because it was such a small amount of money and attempted to lay a guilt trip on the OP as to why he should wait for payment. This is why I replied to you and not the OP.

"There`s always barber college" - Dalton - Road House
Message 35 of 48
latest reply

Yea you probably right, some people may think that. I personally don't have a problem waiting for payment. I have had a couple buyers ask me first. As long as it is a set day they say they can pay, I say sure. I get it sometimes people don't always have money right when they need something. Like for example, an auto part I may have and they need it but don't get paid til friday. Sure why not. I have been there myself. I changed my settings to open an UPI case after 2 days. I usually message the buyer as a courtesy and let them know before that happens and I also have it in my listings. If I don't hear back then it is was it is.
Message 36 of 48
latest reply

True, but a sad statement on what society has become, IMO.
Message 37 of 48
latest reply

I agree, I get asked all the time (not usually on this platform though) to hold items until the buyer gets paid. I kindly explain I cannot do that, and move on.

Usually items asked to be held are 'wants' not 'needs', making their requests rather inane in my opinion. If they can't afford it, maybe they shouldn't be buying it?

Either way, it is not my responsibility as an independent seller with small stores to cater to wanters. There are stores who do lay away for that.

Message 38 of 48
latest reply

@sambndude wrote:

thanks

That buyer would have no chance of me waiting. Not telling me up front that he can't pay until 12/27 is a big fat no no.

It's up to you what you do, but I would file an unpaid item.

Message 39 of 48
latest reply

@sambndude wrote:

thanks

If you really need the money  then cancel the transaction and relist  . If you don't ,, then wait for the buyer to pay .  That's what I would probably do especially if I checked his feedback and seen that  he's  been a regular buyer here . Tulips 

Message 40 of 48
latest reply

95% of the time I get requests like that, the buyer totally ghosts.

Plus - if you get to the 27th and you don't get payment, you're another 6 days from safely being able to relist the item.

It's totally up to you, but buyers who make an offer and don't include the "I can't pay right away" information are one of my pet peeves.
Message 41 of 48
latest reply

The buyer is not going to pay. Open an unpaid item dispute.

Message 42 of 48
latest reply

@sambndude wrote:

thanks

Just curious - any update for us on this?

Message 43 of 48
latest reply

@glgenterprise wrote:
95% of the time I get requests like that, the buyer totally ghosts.

Plus - if you get to the 27th and you don't get payment, you're another 6 days from safely being able to relist the item.

It's totally up to you, but buyers who make an offer and don't include the "I can't pay right away" information are one of my pet peeves.

I'm sorry you have had so many bail like that!  Very frustrating.  I thought there might be a high incidence of disappearances after saying they would be able to pay at a later date. 

Message 44 of 48
latest reply

And I agree, buyers should be up front about something like that.
Message 45 of 48
latest reply