cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seller Ships Real Rolex, Buyer says it is Counterfeit

Hello Everyone,

I want to thank everyone in advance for any help or suggestions you might have as this situation is MAJOR and has me literally SICK!  I recently started selling some high valued items in the past month. Mainly high end computer components.   I have been an eBay member for about 7-8 years. Anyway, I listed my Rolex Yachtmaster a couple weeks ago.  Attached are all of the pictures that were included in the listing along with extras.  I sent the package via FedEx, Insured for the sale amount, as well as Adult Signature.   Here is the MAJOR problem.  The Buyer is claiming it is a counterfeit Rolex and requested a return.   I looked at the tracking info and saw it was delivered and signed for by someone other than the buyer.  I had promptly replied to him, baffled yet polite, and asked if the person who signed for it was a room mate, family member, mail room, etc.  I asked  the buyer to send pictures of everything that he received, shipping container, watch box, certificates, tags, etc. So that I could see the box and if it appeared to be tampered with.  If it was tampered with, I would be able to see in the photos of the shipping packaging since I used special tape.  I never received a reply from the buyer.  All that was sent were these 3 photos when he first requested the return. I attempted to contact him twice thru eBay.  I also tried to call his cellphone and even looked him up on facebook so I could try to get ahold of him.  No contact was made.  I even called eBay and inquired about what I should do because what he was claiming, wasn't what I shipped him.  eBay informed me to wait until a case was opened!  They offered no other resolution other than to accept the return and refund him.  Of course, I'm not going to accept the return and refund him and get back a fake watch when he was shipped a genuine Rolex.  Yesterday, the Buyer opened a case against me stating that the watch "doesn't seem authentic".  I had contacted the high value claims dept. after they emailed me stating they were going to refund him and they stated the best thing to do is accept the return and then open a case against the buyer if he does not send back the original item.  I have never had a problem on eBay until now.  I don't know if the Buyer is attempting to fraudulently return the watch and get his money back, or if the package was tampered with and the item was replaced with a different item.  I find it HIGHLY unlikely for FedEx to do something like that with as many cameras there are in these places. I also find it EXTREMELY unlikely that FedEx would have a counterfeit Rolex laying around to swap out the real one.  In being professional, I didn't want to come right out and accuse the buyer of attempting to scam me, hence why I asked for photos of the packaging.  So at this point, I contacted eBay again and asked for a return shipping label to be issued via eBay since I couldn't send a label because it is now an open case. 

I have since removed all of my items for sale since it appears to be very easy for buyers to open cases against sellers and get their stuff for free, especially when they see the seller just started listing things and isn't a power seller or a big store.  The horror stories that I've been reading on these forums is scary.  What does a seller due to protect him or herself?  Am I handling this the proper way?  Any tips and advice would be greatly appreciated.  Thank again.

FAKE WATCH - BUYER PHOTOFAKE WATCH - BUYER PHOTOFAKE WATCH - BUYER PHOTOFAKE WATCH - BUYER PHOTOFAKE WATCH - BUYER PHOTOFAKE WATCH - BUYER PHOTO

GENUINE ROLEX - WHAT I SHIPPEDGENUINE ROLEX - WHAT I SHIPPEDGENUINE ROLEX - WHAT I SHIPPEDGENUINE ROLEX - WHAT I SHIPPED3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg6.jpg7.jpg8.jpg9.jpg10.jpg11.jpg12.jpg

Message 1 of 176
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Sorry for the delay in updating the community what the result was.  eBay has ruled this as a fraudulent return.  Once, I receive the police report so I can upload to eBay, the case will be closed.   Thankfully it all worked out properly.  Thank you to all who offered helpful advice or simply just commented to give some words of encouragement.  I can definitely say, I will not be selling any more high dollar stuff on ebay.  Which sucks because I have a couple more really nice watches and a bunch of 1080 and 1080ti's for sale.  Items like that are hard to sell around my small town. 

View Best Answer in original post

Message 117 of 176
latest reply
175 REPLIES 175

Sorry this happened to you..Ebay is right, accept the refund and when you receive the watch back, refund..if you dont, Ebay will. and pray you dont get a different watch back. Where did you get this watch...are you sure it is authentic? Not accusing you of sending a fake,just asking..if you get a different watch back, call Ebay first before you refund..the buyer is not obligated to send you any pics..and I doubt that Fedex tampered with the box..I have a bad feeling about this but hope i am wrong.Scammers look for newbie sellers with expensive items for sale..they are a sitting duck here.

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Message 2 of 176
latest reply

If you dig in your heels and refuse to take it back, eBay will simply refund the buyer anyway. Accept the return and wait to see what comes back. If you're lucky, it will be a case of Buyer's Remorse and you will have the original back again. If it's not your watch coming back, that will be a bigger problem, but update us here if that happens.

Incidentally, Signature Confirmation is required to maintain seller protection against Item Not Received disputes on sales of $750 or more, but it does not have to be the addressee's name on the signature. Any adult at that address can sign for it.

Message 3 of 176
latest reply

Hi bonjourami, I purchased the watch from a Rolex dealer, it was preowned, serviced by Rolex before I purchased it. Had tags, certificate, serial numbers, everything! Still had some time on the warranty too. Definitely the real deal! The first 3 pictures in the post are the ones the buyer sent me claiming what he received. Those three pictures are not what I sent him. The other Photos I uploaded are of the genuine Watch and everything that was sent. I think he is trying to send me a fake and keep my original Rolex. Hopefully it is buyers remorse and I get the watch back I sent and he used some stock photo from google to use it for the case he opened. If I don't get back what I sent, I will definitely fight hard! I am also going to file an IC form, I've read that helps? I read the buyers feedback, after the fact and saw about a year ago there was something mentioned about a counterfeit watch and refunds in the feedback left. Definitely doesn't smell right. I just sold $4K in Video Cards the other week, no problems. This sucks because I am afraid to sell anything anymore on here.
Message 4 of 176
latest reply

I don't know if the Buyer is attempting to fraudulently return the watch and get his money back, or if the package was tampered with and the item was replaced with a different item.

You also don't know whether  the buyer is just suspicious that it is counterfeit. Or whether the buyer simply cannot afford it and has decided he wants his money back. 

But unfortunately, neither does eBay nor do they really care. eBay does not know what you mailed, or what the buyer received. And they do not know what the buyer will return, or what you will receive. All they know is that they offer a Money Back Guarantee, and if they don't make the seller refund the buyer then the refund comes out of eBay's pocket. 

And unfortunately, the pictures you posted really prove just one thing - that you have access to pictures of a Rolex, just like anyone else on the internet. If eBay decided cases based solely on pictures, unscrupulous sellers would have a field day listing pictures of genuine Rolex and shipping a box of rocks. 

The brutal truth is that - generally speaking - any buyer can steal any item from any seller at any time by using a false "Not As Described" complaint.

I never received a reply from the buyer.

The buyer is not required to take pictures, contact you, or help you "investigate". 

Of course, I'm not going to accept the return and refund him and get back a fake watch when he was shipped a genuine Rolex.

If history is any indicator, the buyer will be refunded from your PayPal account regardless of whether you are the one who issues the refund.

What does a seller due to protect him or herself

I preotect myself by recognizing the risk, and not selling anything I cannot afford to lose. 

Message 5 of 176
latest reply

If the buyer is a scammer and is in possession of the watch in the pics they sent you, that will probably be the watch that will be returned, and then you will have to fight hard.

The problem is, ebay know what you listed, but they can't know for sure what you actually shipped.

Message 6 of 176
latest reply

Hi a_c_green, Yes, I agree and called ebay last night to have them send a return label since I can't due to the case being open, I looked everywhere on the dashboard to see how to send him a shipping label and could not find one. The only solution I can come up with is to select contact buyer and send a photo of the shipping label. How do we go about sending a label when the only contact method for the buyer is through eBay's message system? I do know once there is a return request open you can do a shipping label but not after the case is open. Is this typical? Anyway, yes, I do hope I get the original watch back and those three photos he sent we're to use for his case and to get eBay on his side. To prepare for the worst, if I do receive not what I sent him and my protected as a seller? I've read stories on here where sellers got the return back and they had a rock in the package. This whole thing is so crazy. I'll keep everyone posted. Thanks for your advice
Message 7 of 176
latest reply

yes I just looked at your auction..beautiful listing, beautiful watch. Thats worrisome that he sent you pics of another watch..but just sit tight until you get the watch back..if its not yours,take action.One of the regulars in here posted a great email to the buyer if you get another item back, other than your own. Maybe someone will come in and post it. It was to the effect that the postmaster and the police would be around to visit them as someone must have tampered with the return because the seller did not get the correct item back..and mail tampering is a felony. I do wish you the best of luck..please come back and let us know how it goes.

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Message 8 of 176
latest reply

HI luckythewinner, I agree with you. Funny, well not really, I was just reading in another forum about the shipping a box of rocks. People come up with everything. Hopefully it is buyers remorse and I get it back.
Message 9 of 176
latest reply

Hello *madison, It sure does appear this way, I am hoping this isn't the case and it is just buyers remorse like a couple others were thinking.
Message 10 of 176
latest reply

Message 11 of 176
latest reply

Sorry, I replied twice, It looked like it didn't reply in the feed to your comment.

Message 12 of 176
latest reply

@eleetcomputer wrote:
Hello *madison, It sure does appear this way, I am hoping this isn't the case and it is just buyers remorse like a couple others were thinking.

If it's buyers remorse, I'm just wondering why the buyer has gone to the extremes of saying the watch is fake, instead of just simply saying it doesn't work. Not working would still be a valid not as described claim.

Anyway,  let's hope the buyer ships back your watch.

Message 13 of 176
latest reply

Why did you buy insurance?

Message 14 of 176
latest reply

Thank you bonjourami, I made sure to take as many pictures as possible and note every detail of the watch. I will most definitely keep you posted. If you can find that email, that would be great. This whole ordeal totally sucks.
Message 15 of 176
latest reply