cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scary--Unexpected Buyer Drove to My House and Dropped an Unacceptable Return

I am a new seller who just got started last year. I really need some help regarding the situations below.

Today between 10-11 am EST, a recent buyer showed up at my house and dropped her order as a return to my roommate because I was not home. My roommate was freaked out to encounter situation like this especially dealing with a stranger who know your address and came to your address without consent, which is very unexpected. I feel very scary and unsafe. My roommate stated that the reason why she accepted the item from the client was because the client told her that I already accepted the return, which was a lie.

Yes, we are in a negotiating process since 5/24/21. Here are our conversations in the return request:

Buyer: I am very sorry the hat is really too big for my head. I can drop off at **(my address) for you.

Me: Hi, as the item listing description stated, this item cannot be returned. All items are final sale. Best regards

Buyer: I will drop off the hat this morning around 12PM if it works for you. Thanks

The message above were the entire conversation.

Clearly, I did not accept the return. On the return page, Ebay also indicated "the buyer requested a return, but you're not obligated to accept a return for this item". So, we should have a choice as a seller if the return is unreasonable. To be honest, I also hope that I can take every return and make my buyers happy. But I have experienced people who already used the makeup product but still wish to return. Also, for clothing, the reason that I do not accept return is that many people would double-check if the products are new, never used, never applied because of the fear of the pandemic and wish to avoid unnecessary exposure. It is just a rule for my shop to not accept return to protect my clients. 

I do the best from my end:

1. maintain my products very well;

2. list the item in its true conditions with size and relevant information;

3. check the product quality before shipping out;

4. package the product well;

5. I am also very responsive to clients' messages. 

I feel that I already did my part and I tried the best. But I am feeling extremely uncomfortable and unsafe right now because of the unexpected visit. 

I have notified Ebay regarding this situation and waiting for their response.

If anyone else who experienced this before, can you please share how you handle that? Are we obligated to refund clients like this? As sellers, do we have any protections at all? Should we refund and afford the extra fee that occurred? This situation is really unfair and it is really very very scary. 

Would really appreciate if anyone can share some experience. Thanks in advance!

Message 1 of 89
latest reply
88 REPLIES 88

Re: Scary--Unexpected Buyer Drove to My House and Dropped an Unacceptable Return

@mrfindit wrote:

The customer isn't always right.  And you will never succeed in business if you believe that they are...

So you think it fine if a seller gets their item back- INTACT and keeps the money?

That's good business?

Because eBay almost always does think the customer is right..

You'll end up with a fist full of INAD's, refunds without returns, defects and eventually a deactivated selling account. 

Honestly this has delved into an unproductive back & forth with opinions on both sides..

The important thing is the seller got their item back- not damaged, not a box of garbage, not an empty box but their item, undamaged..

I would take that over an empty box any day. 

Buyer should get their refund.. They did..

The end.. 

~Pika~
People in life that are the happiest don't have the most,, they make the most of what they have...

Message 76 of 89
latest reply

Re: Scary--Unexpected Buyer Drove to My House and Dropped an Unacceptable Return

Get a Gun

Message 77 of 89
latest reply

OP is in New Jersey.  

Message 78 of 89
latest reply

I would like to ask you question, the question is off topic and unrelated to this thread. But I like your responses in this thread, thus I will follow your recommendations to question, may I ask you the question?

Message 79 of 89
latest reply

New questions need new threads to avoid confusion

This is a user to user board not eBay employees.
----------------------------------------------------------------
When people show you who they are, believe them
Message 80 of 89
latest reply

"New questions need new threads to avoid confusion"

Okay, that's fine, but may I note this: the question is really on a personal level, however I do understand, and rather than, confusing this thread with a personal level of thought, I kindly retract my request.

Thank you for that clarification.

Message 81 of 89
latest reply

@mobley120 wrote:

"New questions need new threads to avoid confusion"

Okay, that's fine, but may I note this: the question is really on a personal level, however I do understand, and rather than, confusing this thread with a personal level of thought, I kindly retract my request.

Thank you for that clarification.

@mobley120 If it's on a personal level, may I suggest a PM?

That way Gosimus can reply or not without making it public..

CHEERS 👍

~Pika~
People in life that are the happiest don't have the most,, they make the most of what they have...

Message 82 of 89
latest reply

Well said again! Your personal safety is a lot more important then the $100 item or whatever.

Ill say this again, get a PO box or an address at a UPS store

@1grandmashope_1 

Message 83 of 89
latest reply

Just one?

Message 84 of 89
latest reply

IMG_20210528_144541189.jpg

Message 85 of 89
latest reply

@mobley120 

< may I ask you the question? >      

Sure.  This thread has become so long, I'm expecting it to get locked down any time now, so I'd suggest that you start a new thread – be sure to @-tag me – or you can send me a PM, whichever you prefer.  Or knock at my door and ask in person... I didn't really cower behind a curtain.  We'll have refreshments.  

Message 86 of 89
latest reply

I do thank you, but I guess I'll just let that question be still. And it's not worthy of a thread, and it'd have to be posted in the Cafe. Plus it's a silly question, it's related to the prior picture I posted.

It's a telling decision. Ah, I sent the question to pikabo-icu, by mistake and their response is suitable.

I truly thank you.

Message 87 of 89
latest reply

. . . . so you can shoot someone for having the temerity to ring your doorbell.   That'll teach 'em!

Your mail carrier better be on their toes!

Message 88 of 89
latest reply

@postingid7659 wrote:

Then you call the cops and have them arrested.   

LOL

Message 89 of 89
latest reply