cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scary--Unexpected Buyer Drove to My House and Dropped an Unacceptable Return

I am a new seller who just got started last year. I really need some help regarding the situations below.

Today between 10-11 am EST, a recent buyer showed up at my house and dropped her order as a return to my roommate because I was not home. My roommate was freaked out to encounter situation like this especially dealing with a stranger who know your address and came to your address without consent, which is very unexpected. I feel very scary and unsafe. My roommate stated that the reason why she accepted the item from the client was because the client told her that I already accepted the return, which was a lie.

Yes, we are in a negotiating process since 5/24/21. Here are our conversations in the return request:

Buyer: I am very sorry the hat is really too big for my head. I can drop off at **(my address) for you.

Me: Hi, as the item listing description stated, this item cannot be returned. All items are final sale. Best regards

Buyer: I will drop off the hat this morning around 12PM if it works for you. Thanks

The message above were the entire conversation.

Clearly, I did not accept the return. On the return page, Ebay also indicated "the buyer requested a return, but you're not obligated to accept a return for this item". So, we should have a choice as a seller if the return is unreasonable. To be honest, I also hope that I can take every return and make my buyers happy. But I have experienced people who already used the makeup product but still wish to return. Also, for clothing, the reason that I do not accept return is that many people would double-check if the products are new, never used, never applied because of the fear of the pandemic and wish to avoid unnecessary exposure. It is just a rule for my shop to not accept return to protect my clients. 

I do the best from my end:

1. maintain my products very well;

2. list the item in its true conditions with size and relevant information;

3. check the product quality before shipping out;

4. package the product well;

5. I am also very responsive to clients' messages. 

I feel that I already did my part and I tried the best. But I am feeling extremely uncomfortable and unsafe right now because of the unexpected visit. 

I have notified Ebay regarding this situation and waiting for their response.

If anyone else who experienced this before, can you please share how you handle that? Are we obligated to refund clients like this? As sellers, do we have any protections at all? Should we refund and afford the extra fee that occurred? This situation is really unfair and it is really very very scary. 

Would really appreciate if anyone can share some experience. Thanks in advance!

Message 1 of 89
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

I had this happen in 2008. No correspondence prior to a man showing up at our door with a snow globe that he had purchased.  I was so shook. My husband was at work.

If someone is that bold, in my mind, it is not worth going through what may turn very ugly.  Just refund and block them.  Additionally,  I  would get a PO box.  I did. 

You never know these days, people are under a lot of stress.  Most importantly is to be safe.

Don't put anything above your safety.  

Move forward and breathe. 

Grandma 

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 89
latest reply
88 REPLIES 88

I had this happen in 2008. No correspondence prior to a man showing up at our door with a snow globe that he had purchased.  I was so shook. My husband was at work.

If someone is that bold, in my mind, it is not worth going through what may turn very ugly.  Just refund and block them.  Additionally,  I  would get a PO box.  I did. 

You never know these days, people are under a lot of stress.  Most importantly is to be safe.

Don't put anything above your safety.  

Move forward and breathe. 

Grandma 

Message 2 of 89
latest reply

After about 50,000 transactions and 15 years I actually had this happen to me earlier this year for the first time. Definitely was startling but I tried my best to be polite as possible and get him away from my house as fast as I could. As the previous poster said someone bold enough to show up at your house you definitely don't want to escalate. Just accept the return, refund right there, and block the person. 

Message 3 of 89
latest reply

The product has now been placed into your possession.

Don't you feel you should refund, is it possible this buyer will return knocking on your door demanding a refund if you don't ?

Block this buyer & report the buyer to eBay.

Message 4 of 89
latest reply

I do not see showing up at your house being good: with out your permitting such an action.

I would say they were not happy at all with said product.

Oh and no returns does not mean to refunds: you agree to the purchasers guarantee that eBay uses by selling on eBay.

Message 5 of 89
latest reply

Thank you for your response. Sometimes I just feel like the "cannot be returned" option is a joke for sellers. In situations like this, you will have to refund anyways. Yes I ultimately will issue the refund because I have no choice and feel threatened. But what if it happens the next time? Is there any procedures that I can follow? What am I supposed to do? These are the questions I need to think through. I also think reporting these cases to Ebay might matter because their policy might change over time (hopefully) to protect sellers, or warn buyers who violates some relevant rules (if there is any). 

Yes you are definitely right. I feel that person would visit again if I do not release a refund for her. I checked my security camera recording, when she talked to my roommate, she acted like a person who could set my house on fire.

Message 6 of 89
latest reply

Thank you for sharing, dear. PO box is a very good idea. I will definitely look into it today. You are right, maybe it is not worth to fight for it. Safety is better than getting in one of those very ugly situation. 

Warm hugs

Message 7 of 89
latest reply

Thank you for sharing your experience and great suggestions. To be honest, I am still in a shocking state and will definitely think through. Your response is very helpful to me. May you have a great day!

Message 8 of 89
latest reply

So here's the deal, the item is a hat, it's been tried on, it can't be resold as new, and it's virtually worthless.  

To top it off this buyer has no proof they returned it, like you would if they mailed it.   And even then eBay says the seller doesn't have to accept a return on it in the first place. 

So I'd say just move on.  There is no obligation to return their money.  That they left the hat someplace is not your concern, even though the place happens to be your place. 

And the person who said refund somebody who shows up in person?  No, no, no, no.  You can't prove you refunded them if you hand them cash.  They could go home and file on eBay and potentially get refunded twice. 

Message 9 of 89
latest reply

That person actually returned the product in the original condition and with all the tags and packagings. Although I included the sizes and information, she still thinks the product doesn't fit for her.  

Thanks for providing your perspectives. I think I am just learning to be a seller, handling the situation, and digesting at this time. 

Message 10 of 89
latest reply

@qing_8432 

< a stranger ... came to your address without consent ... I am feeling extremely uncomfortable and unsafe >    

Earlier this spring my doorbell unexpectedly rang.  As I cautiously peeked from behind a window curtain, I was disturbed to find a stranger standing on my porch.  Somehow I summoned up the courage to open the door.  My hands were shaking so bad that I could barely fill out the order for Girl Scout cookies.  

Message 11 of 89
latest reply

"Block this buyer & report the buyer to eBay."

I don't know, but it seems to be the consensus that if you're a seller on eBay, you're in a business, and you're dealing with the public. And if your listings do not state "mail orders only; no public access", I don't know what good it'd be, to report them eBay. 

Anyway, I'd just issue the refund, and, on the bright side of it, at least it was a courtesy refund request, meaning you didn't have to eat the return shipping cost...

Good luck

Message 12 of 89
latest reply

Note: the last paragraph in my response is meant for the OP.

Thank you

Message 13 of 89
latest reply

@gosimus wrote:

@qing_8432 

< a stranger ... came to your address without consent ... I am feeling extremely uncomfortable and unsafe >    

Earlier this spring my doorbell unexpectedly rang.  As I cautiously peeked from behind a window curtain, I was disturbed to find a stranger standing on my porch.  Somehow I summoned up the courage to open the door.  My hands were shaking so bad that I could barely fill out the order for Girl Scout cookies.  

Yeah, way to make a joke out of what could have potentially been a disaster.

Message 14 of 89
latest reply

Look up the word satire.   @serriyl31 , in the first post you ever made on the boards – at least on this account – you told someone "Too bad you can't put on your adult pants"   May I return the compliment?  

Message 15 of 89
latest reply