cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Same buyer, multiple accounts, keep buying my items. Blocked them, but why can they still "follow"?

A buyer messaged me asking about lowest price I'd take on two similar items. Got many messages from them, one wanting to know where I got items and what I paid for them originally. So.. I looked at their profile and they leave a LOT of negative feedback for sellers. I added them to my blocked buyer list. I guess they attempted to buy items (at full price) and got a popup from ebay that this seller has blocked you (they sent me a screenshot of it). The block apparently enraged them, and they sent some nasty messages heavy on the F word. Within an hour of the nasty messages, the more expensive of the two items they wanted sold to a brand new ebay account. New as in joined ebay that very day. I ship next day, so I called customer service asap to see if they could tell me anything. New buyer had a very similar zip code as person who had sent messages. They were from two towns in NY four miles away from each other. *Gasp*. So I cancelled the order, selected 'something wrong with buyer's address' like CS rep said to. And put this 2nd account on BBL.

Next day I relisted the item. Within a couple of hours BOTH items sold to a brand new account. This address was a town 10 miles away from 1st town. And the email from 3rd account matched member name of 1st account. (It's confusing isn't it?) So I called CS again, they had me talk to safety and security or something. They said it'd take 24-48 hours but they'd look into it and boot all 3 accounts if it is in fact one person with multiple accounts. 

I cancelled the sales again due to 'problem with buyer's address'. And get a message from the original problem member asking what the ____ is wrong with me, what kind of scammer am I, I am delusional, etc. And then a string of more messages from each of the 3 accounts, telling me how horrible I am, and why don't I just sell her son his stuff, blah blah. So I guess account #3 is Mommy trying to buy for her foul mouthed (grown man) son. 

So I still haven't relisted my 2 items, because I noticed that I have a new follower: Account #1 that never bought but just sent all the messages. So I guess even though I have them on my BBL, they can still "follow" me and if or when I relist the items, they'll be the first to know. And they're decent priced items, and the holiday season is my best time for selling. I don't want to block 0 feedback buyers, because I get a lot of business from them, and they are usually pleasant, perfect transactions. 

I guess if I relist, I'm going to have to google-map any buyers with 0 or low feedback scores. And any buyers from NY... 

That's ridiculous that putting someone on your BBL doesn't prevent them from following you. And that they can still even see your items, and get a pop up that tells them hey this seller won't let you buy their stuff. Why doesn't it just block your items from them? 

Am I missing anything? Is there something more I can do, because I get the feeling that CS isn't going to look into it toooo hard, and I'm going to have to fend for myself.

Message 1 of 31
latest reply
30 REPLIES 30

Re: Same buyer, multiple accounts, keep buying my items. Blocked them, but why can they still "

@albertabrightalberta wrote:

@emerald40 wrote:

100% agree.

In the past if a buyer circumvented your block, then he could be penalized.

It's still a violation for a buyer to circumvent a block: 
http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/unwelcome-buying.html

These are the rules for buyers: 

Not allowed

Not allowed

You can't buy with the intent to disrupt a listing.

Here are some examples:

• You can't place a bid that greatly exceeds the value of the item in order to prevent a sale without intending to buy that item.

• You can't bid on multiple items listed by a seller unless you intend to buy all of the items.

• You can't try to buy or bid on an item if you're on a seller's blocked bidder or buyer list.

• You can't use another account to buy or bid on an item if you're on a seller's blocked bidder or buyer list.

As a seller, you can report a buyer  who bids on a listing without meeting the listing terms.

Call ebay again and give them the URL to the policy and read their own policy to them!! 

That's what the policy says, but from the chats, it's not what it means anymore.

Re: Same buyer, multiple accounts, keep buying my items. Blocked them, but why can they still "

@Anonymous wrote:

@albertabrightalberta wrote:

@cleaning.the.attic wrote:

Speaking of which, I relisted my items, and he created a 4th brand new account/got his friend, relative, somebody to create a 4th account, same 10 mile radius in NY, and bought both items again plus another big ticket item (for me anyway). 

This is ridiculous! @Anonymous - Can you help this OP? An unwanted buyer is harassing and opening new accounts after being BBL'ed on other IDs. 

@cleaning.the.attic, I recommend you contact our customer service teams to have this reviewed for appropriate action. A buyer who is circumventing your blocks is in violation of our guidelines and customer service will be happy to look into the details for help!

The OP has already done that...isnt there any REAL help for her?

Message 17 of 31
latest reply

@lemon_tart wrote:

The OP has already done that...isnt there any REAL help for her?

Let me answer that for you based on firsthand knowledge.  NO. 

“It took me quite a long time to develop a voice, and now that I have it, I am not going to be silent” ― Madeleine K. Albright

Great! 45.8% down over the same time last year with 2x+ items listed. Are you impressed? I'm certainly not!
Message 18 of 31
latest reply

Ebay said in recent months that if a buyer really WANTS your item, then it is ok for them to circumvent the BBL, because they say you cannot prove malicious intent beforehand. And that if there are negative consequences AFTER that buyer buys your item, they would take care of it. Haven't learned anything beyond that. Possibly mention the "buyer's" extensive bad feedback left as feedback abuse.
Message 19 of 31
latest reply

@Anonymous

I know the previous rules are as you stated, you cannot circumvent a BBL to buy.

But a few months ago, a Blue posted that it was ok for a buyer to circumvent a BBL, because you cannot prove malicious intent, and if they really WANT the item, then it is ok.

And htat if there are any negative consequences post sale, that Ebay would take care of it.

Please clarify.  Thank you, Trinton!!

Message 20 of 31
latest reply

@emerald40 wrote:

100% agree.

In the past if a buyer circumvented your block, then he could be penalized.

You cannot block 0 feedback buyers anyway so that would not work.

I would have told you to just not relist for a while until they got tired of you and went onto someone else.

But it is the holidays.  And it infuriates me when people are afraid to leave their homes or have to have bars on their windows and doors while the criminals run free.

In your case be ever vigilent. 

But be careful how you cancel.  Use Problem with address.

Do call ebay each time and try to get the addresses linked.  Ebay may suddenly find this is a problem and throw them off the site.

As far as the messages, send them to ebay to bolster your claim that this buyer is harassing you.

This just frosts my cake.

eBay can and does link sellers to other sellers they really have zero connection to because they shared a PC at a library once and ban the lot of them if one owes eBay money with absolutely no recourse, yet when it comes to a buyer circumventing blocks with the same IP, name, address, phone, and PayPal

account, eBay is all "Gee, we can't be sure it's the same buyer... sorry!"

Chaos is NOT an "industry standard".
Message 21 of 31
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@castlemagicmemories wrote:

@Anonymous

I know the previous rules are as you stated, you cannot circumvent a BBL to buy.

But a few months ago, a Blue posted that it was ok for a buyer to circumvent a BBL, because you cannot prove malicious intent, and if they really WANT the item, then it is ok.

And htat if there are any negative consequences post sale, that Ebay would take care of it.

Please clarify.  Thank you, Trinton!!

Happy to clarify! We would consider it a policy violation when a buyer circumvents a seller's BBL to disrupt their business. From the specific details shared here on this thread, I got the impression that the buyer is disrupting the sellers business. I apologize if my answer caused any confusion in comparison to other conversations you've had - I'm speaking solely about this situation the OP has shared.

Message 22 of 31
latest reply

I really appreciate everyone's input. I have not called CS about the lastest account, but plan to do so sometime soon--fortunately I have been busy. I have my doubts about what good it'll do, since I've explained it to numerous CS reps, and all his accounts are still active. Or at least when I go to them, they don't say 'no longer a member' or whatever. 

The two main items he kept buying have sold, to two different people, in states that are not NY, and are not near NY, so hopefully it's no one he knows, haha. I'm hoping I've heard/seen the last of him. But it is a shame there isn't something more that can be done, because from the negs he leaves other sellers--just a wild guess--I'm not the only one he's been a pain to. 

I always get excited when I get a notification that something sold, but this stinker made me have a sick feeling instead, hoping it wasn't him/his mother/brother/neighbor/plumber buying something again.

Spite purchases--what better way to spread a little love this holiday season stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes

Message 23 of 31
latest reply

@cleaning.the.attic wrote:

A buyer messaged me asking about lowest price I'd take on two similar items. Got many messages from them, one wanting to know where I got items and what I paid for them originally. So.. I looked at their profile and they leave a LOT of negative feedback for sellers. I added them to my blocked buyer list. I guess they attempted to buy items (at full price) and got a popup from ebay that this seller has blocked you (they sent me a screenshot of it). The block apparently enraged them, and they sent some nasty messages heavy on the F word. Within an hour of the nasty messages, the more expensive of the two items they wanted sold to a brand new ebay account. New as in joined ebay that very day. I ship next day, so I called customer service asap to see if they could tell me anything. New buyer had a very similar zip code as person who had sent messages. They were from two towns in NY four miles away from each other. *Gasp*. So I cancelled the order, selected 'something wrong with buyer's address' like CS rep said to. And put this 2nd account on BBL.

Next day I relisted the item. Within a couple of hours BOTH items sold to a brand new account. This address was a town 10 miles away from 1st town. And the email from 3rd account matched member name of 1st account. (It's confusing isn't it?) So I called CS again, they had me talk to safety and security or something. They said it'd take 24-48 hours but they'd look into it and boot all 3 accounts if it is in fact one person with multiple accounts. 

I cancelled the sales again due to 'problem with buyer's address'. And get a message from the original problem member asking what the ____ is wrong with me, what kind of scammer am I, I am delusional, etc. And then a string of more messages from each of the 3 accounts, telling me how horrible I am, and why don't I just sell her son his stuff, blah blah. So I guess account #3 is Mommy trying to buy for her foul mouthed (grown man) son. 

So I still haven't relisted my 2 items, because I noticed that I have a new follower: Account #1 that never bought but just sent all the messages. So I guess even though I have them on my BBL, they can still "follow" me and if or when I relist the items, they'll be the first to know. And they're decent priced items, and the holiday season is my best time for selling. I don't want to block 0 feedback buyers, because I get a lot of business from them, and they are usually pleasant, perfect transactions. 

I guess if I relist, I'm going to have to google-map any buyers with 0 or low feedback scores. And any buyers from NY... 

That's ridiculous that putting someone on your BBL doesn't prevent them from following you. And that they can still even see your items, and get a pop up that tells them hey this seller won't let you buy their stuff. Why doesn't it just block your items from them? 

Am I missing anything? Is there something more I can do, because I get the feeling that CS isn't going to look into it toooo hard, and I'm going to have to fend for myself.

I had a similar situation over the last month.  Lowball offer from some creeper who I realized was a re-seller with seriously bad FB left for Sellers.  SO many red flags.  I didn't BBL the first time and fluffed the person off with a polite 'can't do it' to their lowball (I didn't even have 'best offer' on the listing).  And I did not block initially because I didn't want a 'spite sale' ending in a SNAD, because this person was so sketchy.

Relisted the item for December, and the creeper was on it immediately with an even lower more insulting 'offer'.  This time I cancelled the listing immediately, then AFTERWARDS  I contacted the person with a polite message, and BBL'd.  I suggested they check out the other Sellers listings who were offering the same item (at 4-5 time higher than my asking price, but I have a feeling that's why this one was preying on me....probably figured I didn't have a clue)  It really bothers me that I had to remove a lovely item that would have sold eventually at the price I was asking because of some bottom-feeder.   And  it will be a while before I dare re-list it, just in case.  I have no problem with re-Sellers  because that's at the core of how this site works for many transactions.  Just be professional about it...I love doing deals with the pros.  As per your exact words:

"I always get excited when I get a notification that something sold, but this stinker made me have a sick feeling instead, hoping it wasn't him/his mother/brother/neighbor/plumber buying something again.

Spite purchases--what better way to spread a little love this holiday season "

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

Spite purchases.  The worst kind of transaction for honest Sellers.  I too hate that sick feeling.  I really hope this gets sorted out in your favour.  Best of luck!!

Message 24 of 31
latest reply

Hello, I just encountered a similar situation.  Previous buyer was blocked because she made false claims about the condition of items purchased, and said she would never buy from me again.  Now she's back, under a different ID.  Made the same, false, condition claims--requested a return.  I spoke with ebay customer service, 3-4 times, asking why a blocked buyer was allowed to purchase under a different ID.  Never received a clear answer.  The final decision was to find that neither of us were at fault.  Unbelievable!  She gets a full refund, and is allowed to keep the necklace purchased.  Something is clearly wrong with this system.

Message 25 of 31
latest reply

@shop91gal wrote:

Hello, I just encountered a similar situation.  Previous buyer was blocked because she made false claims about the condition of items purchased, and said she would never buy from me again.  Now she's back, under a different ID.  Made the same, false, condition claims--requested a return.  I spoke with ebay customer service, 3-4 times, asking why a blocked buyer was allowed to purchase under a different ID.  Never received a clear answer.  The final decision was to find that neither of us were at fault.  Unbelievable!  She gets a full refund, and is allowed to keep the necklace purchased.  Something is clearly wrong with this system.

Wow.  So you lost your item and your $ ??   Even though neither of you were at fault ??  

Message 26 of 31
latest reply

@rainbowcolorz wrote:

@shop91gal wrote:

Wow.  So you lost your item and your $ ??   Even though neither of you were at fault ??  

I’m pretty sure that what this means is that eBay gave a courtesy refund.  The seller would still have the money 

“Birth certificates show that you were born. Death certificates show that you died. Photographs show that you have lived.” -Unknown
Message 27 of 31
latest reply

Of course. eBay cannot even enforce their own printed policy or do anything about buyers who circumnavigate the system. eBay is doing what eBay does best....KICK THE SELLER TO THE CURB. We hear this occurring every single day and it is abhorrent. What causes people to be so evil?
Message 28 of 31
latest reply

@myangelandmyprincess wrote:

@rainbowcolorz wrote:

@shop91gal wrote:

I’m pretty sure that what this means is that eBay gave a courtesy refund.  The seller would still have the money 

I certainly hope so.   I do know for a fact, courtesy refunds happen although I have no idea how often.  

Message 29 of 31
latest reply

@stumblebumble wrote:
Of course. eBay cannot even enforce their own printed policy or do anything about buyers who circumnavigate the system. eBay is doing what eBay does best....KICK THE SELLER TO THE CURB. We hear this occurring every single day and it is abhorrent. What causes people to be so evil?

Well, if eBay allowed the buyer to keep the item, gave the buyer a courtesy refund and allowed the seller to keep her money (made the seller whole), eBay, IMO, would not have kicked this OP seller to the curb.   

I cannot answer  what causes people to be evil but I happen to know a few who are evil and rotten to the core (not on the message board, IRL).  

Message 30 of 31
latest reply