cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ridiculous low ball offers on expensive items

I was in the fine jewelry industry 23 years and I'm also a gemologist with technical expertise on stones, metals, labor and fabrication cost. I had been on Ebay before and listed a few modest value items not wanting to list my better pieces right away by testing the waters. I last month listed 20 items a few of those were better jewelry pieces. I've sold a few this month but notice paypal and ebay fees are taking a big bite . I'm seriously concidering not relisting or new listing my best expensive jewelry. I'm getting ridiculous lowball offers even on signed and designer items. I'm not desperate and the quality of buyer is bottom feeder types. I know finding a bargain is great but when I take the time and research to list my items against exact item listings and still get lowballed it's time to look at other selling avenues.

Message 1 of 45
latest reply
44 REPLIES 44

Re: Ridiculous low ball offers on expensive items

@blingygirl57

Forgetting about the jewelry for a minute, I think you may have a huge problem with that LV bag. You relisted a VeRO takedown and if I'm not mistaken, you can be banned forever for a second offense. 

Message 16 of 45
latest reply

Ebay is great for some categories but probably not for quality fine jewelry. I have not yet listed the larger signed pieces I own. I don't think I will after testing the waters last two months.
Message 17 of 45
latest reply

It's funny you mention that because I got a call from ebay this morning about that listing. It got taken down because of a typo. Louis was misspelled that was it. Why they didn't just make me aware asap I could have revised and corrected immediately.
Message 18 of 45
latest reply

I can offer some technical help - search engines are all about keywords. The more you have the more likely you are to be found. I would never list an item as a "black dress" I would list it as a "black sleeveless silk Ralph Lauren floor length evening dress size 14 - NWT". 

Same with your items: "VINTAGE Oval Ruby and Diamond accent Tennis Chain Bracelet in 10K Gold (or filled depending on what it is)" 

When I buy I never put in jeans I put in EXACTLY what I want - American Eagle 34 x 34 medium wash bootcut jeans NEW.  More and more buyers are also becoming just as picky and specific about what they want so the more keywords you use the more likely you will come up in their search.  Will you get a BETTER buyer? No way to tell but you will at least get more eyes on your listing and increase your odds of selling it - AT ALL - or at least have buyers consider it by comparing info with other offerings.  You are asking them to pay ALOT provide details to justify the price.

Message 19 of 45
latest reply

@blingygirl57 wrote:
Ebay is great for some categories but probably not for quality fine jewelry. I have not yet listed the larger signed pieces I own. I don't think I will after testing the waters last two months.

Not true - I have sold the few genuine sapphires and rubies I had here and made nice money - just not as much as retail and not enough to pay off my car.  And have you tried pawning these days? HA! PEANUTS - if they will even take it!  They can be picky with so many folks wantitng to sell or scrap!

Message 20 of 45
latest reply

@blingygirl57 wrote:

I was in the fine jewelry industry 23 years and I'm also a gemologist with technical expertise on stones, metals, labor and fabrication cost. I had been on Ebay before and listed a few modest value items not wanting to list my better pieces right away by testing the waters. I last month listed 20 items a few of those were better jewelry pieces. I've sold a few this month but notice paypal and ebay fees are taking a big bite . I'm seriously concidering not relisting or new listing my best expensive jewelry. I'm getting ridiculous lowball offers even on signed and designer items. I'm not desperate and the quality of buyer is bottom feeder types. I know finding a bargain is great but when I take the time and research to list my items against exact item listings and still get lowballed it's time to look at other selling avenues.

I imagine that lowball offers for the jewelry are due to not being able to see the item.  Those photos are  not close up or clear so they are guessing at the quality and detailing. 

My photos aren't great either, but if I had nice high priced items like those, I certainly would invest in a camera for close-ups.  Do you have a macro setting on your camera?

Message 21 of 45
latest reply

I can't stomach the pawn business. I worked at a firm that had a retail and a pawn division. They had wealthy clients who had top tier pieces. I witnessed things that made me retire from that industry. Low balling decent pieces to obtain for stock paying well below wholesale only to refinish and put back in case to sell at near full retail. Paying scrap value for items never scrapped and.turned into inventory.
Message 22 of 45
latest reply

Try reselling it to a retail jewelry store.

They will offer you 30% of wholesale and then tell you that you better act fast because it is a gift.

Message 23 of 45
latest reply

Emerald, That is why I've not consigned pieces. After working in the industry and witnessed questionable practices why would I trust a brick and mortar?
Message 24 of 45
latest reply

I will check for macro on my digital camera. I just don't use my camera much. I only use it when I list stuff. I use my phone camera more often. I know there are skill sets needed for good picture taking.
Message 25 of 45
latest reply

Always its discouraging. But you just got to muscle through. Woman Very Happy

Message 26 of 45
latest reply

You also have to realize China sellers are selling the same thing (or so they say) for $.99. It's the China syndrome, making all things on ebay cheap or cheaper.

Dear God, please help me to be
the person my dog thinks I am.
Message 27 of 45
latest reply

Thanks for everyone's imputed it helps to get some clarity. I actually went thru my remaining listings and added more information and detail. Don't know if it will make a difference but can't hurt right? Haven't decided whether I'll resist after my listing service expire.
Message 28 of 45
latest reply

Thanks for everyone's input it helps to get some clarity. I actually went thru my remaining listings and added more information and detail. Don't know if it will make a difference but can't hurt right? Haven't decided whether I'll resist after my listing expire.
Message 29 of 45
latest reply

Message 30 of 45
latest reply