cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

20% FINAL VALUE FEES CHANGED TO 10% IN MAY SELLS RESUTS IN AUGUST WITH EBAY TRAFFIC INCREASE

I was told by a e-bay representative in May that the main reason e-bay took away the 20% final value fees for top rated sellers was to use the money to increase traffic for e-bay items. Also my sells would increase because more people would see items for sell on e-bay. It has been three months since e-bay changed policy for top rated sellers and I have 0 sells and have a $0.00 final value fee this month, THANKS E-BAY!!!  It seems that the traffic I was told about only works for people with e-bay stores or high volume sellers. What do you think?

Message 1 of 38
latest reply
37 REPLIES 37

20% FINAL VALUE FEES CHANGED TO 10% IN MAY SELLS RESUTS IN AUGUST WITH EBAY TRAFFIC INCREASE

I think you mean the discount went down.

Ebay also lowered the amount of percentage back on Ebay Bucks for buyers.

This money was to be used for advertising to drive sales and buyers to Ebay.

Message 2 of 38
latest reply

The discount for TRS was never 20%.  It was 10% before the changes so I have a hard believing an ebay rep told you 20% will now be 10%.

Good Luck Selling!

Message 3 of 38
latest reply

@fishers-figures wrote:

I was told by a e-bay representative in May that the main reason e-bay took away the 20% final value fees for top rated sellers was to use the money to increase traffic for e-bay items. Also my sells would increase because more people would see items for sell on e-bay. It has been three months since e-bay changed policy for top rated sellers and I have 0 sells and have a $0.00 final value fee this month, THANKS E-BAY!!!  It seems that the traffic I was told about only works for people with e-bay stores or high volume sellers. What do you think?

Helps if you list more than 1 iphone, which you did sell...

Message 4 of 38
latest reply

Incorrect..always was 20% until May

Refer to this discussion with misspelled word:

Top Rated Seller doscount goes from 20% down to 10% on May 1st. Ouch.....

Message 5 of 38
latest reply

Not at all! I have a store & am a high volumn seller & the past 3 weeks are the worst I've ever had. Today may me the first day in 18 years, between eBay & when I sold on other sites, that I have had no sales. And they tell me to get rid of content on my site that they promoted 12 years ago to increase sales????? And my fees are rediculous for lousy sales. I'm close to just going mail order & leaving eBay all together. Not worth it anymore. And their international rip off shipping fees have killed international sales. I now only sell to US & Canada & international was over 15% of my sales. Plus, the seller who offer "free s&h" by adding the shipping cost to each ite. to save a few cents in fees get the highest sighting. CROOKS!!!!! EBAY GREED IS NOT GOOD FOR SELLERS!

Message 6 of 38
latest reply

@goodluckselling wrote:

The discount for TRS was never 20%.  It was 10% before the changes so I have a hard believing an ebay rep told you 20% will now be 10%.

Good Luck Selling!

I guess you missed the Spring 2017 update. The TRS discount WAS 20% and is 10% as of May 2017-http://pages.ebay.com/seller-center/seller-updates/2017spring/performance-standards.html

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 7 of 38
latest reply

@fishers-figures wrote:

I was told by a e-bay representative in May that the main reason e-bay took away the 20% final value fees for top rated sellers was to use the money to increase traffic for e-bay items.

What money would that be - the miserly $10 credit on $1,000 oF sale price only, with no more Comm + discounts on shipping?  Or the "spend 50 bucks (plus s/h, for which there is no credit), get a buck of eBay credit Bucks program?

And again - what money?  Potential future earnings of a measly ten-bucks-per-thousand-in-sales (item price only) from sellers who were just disincentivized from listing?

What money?  Potential future earnings from buyers who were just (further) disincentivized from buying to get a measly one-buck to spend on eBay in return for spending $50?  (I don't clip coupons for the same reason - not worth my time or going in the store for the loss-leaders.)

TRS is laughable - a program designed the same way Japanese team system is designed - give the guy in the shop a white shirt and title (and of course he will works like the rest of the team) and he will, literally, take less money home in exchange for the perception of prestige (game system theory, which eBay strongly believes in but based on absolutely nothing - and designed for the less-intelligent among us).

Give up TRS and give yourself a break chasing the rabbit that you can't catch because eBay keeps changing the course...

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one’s courage. ~ Anais Nin
Message 8 of 38
latest reply

*eponymous* wrote:

Give up TRS and give yourself a break chasing the rabbit that you can't catch because eBay keeps changing the course...

If a seller has to strive, suffer, and sacrifice to attain and keep TRS (and Plus) status, I'd certainly advise them to consider whether it is worth it to them in the long term.  If it is interfering with the enjoyment of family life, cutting down on time needed for healthful restorative sleep, taking away from all the other things they'd like to work into their days BESIDES eBay... it might be time for them to reconsider how worthwhile this designation is to them.

For myself, it came simply as the result of how I do business.  But I've always been in business, so none of this is effort above and beyond what I've always done, how I've always handled my work.  I don't do anything on eBay with the TRS designation in view as an end goal, but rather just do my thing, and since that's how I work eBay anyway.. the TRS just fell into my lap and remains.  Whether it continues or disappears entirely, I will just work this as I always have. 

Since I never relied on the 20% discount on final value fees, the shift down to 10% is just one of those "Oh, well... no big deal." things. 

I think there must be a lot of us who don't go to much extra effort for TRS.. It's just how we do business in the time frame we prefer to get our work done in, etc.

Message 9 of 38
latest reply

@castlemagicmemories wrote:

I think you mean the discount went down.

Ebay also lowered the amount of percentage back on Ebay Bucks for buyers.

This money was to be used for advertising to drive sales and buyers to Ebay.

Right. Poor ebay NEEDS the money for advertising.ROFLMAO.laughingSmiley IndifferentSmiley FrustratedSmiley SurprisedSmiley Mad

Message 10 of 38
latest reply

@fishers-figures wrote:

I was told by a e-bay representative in May that the main reason e-bay took away the 20% final value fees for top rated sellers was to use the money to increase traffic for e-bay items. Also my sells would increase because more people would see items for sell on e-bay.
[snip}

What do you think?

I think you were hoplessly naive to beleive that the reduction in the discount was going to be used to generate more sales for you. 

Message 11 of 38
latest reply

While I still enjoy the TRS discount, I sometimes think I would rather have ALL my listings seen every day, not just when the servers deem they should be. I pay for a store, I expect to have my listings visible for the 30-31 days I paid for

Message 12 of 38
latest reply

@goodluckselling wrote:

Good Luck Selling!

I'm absolutely stunned.

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley
"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley
Message 13 of 38
latest reply

@goodluckselling wrote:

Good Luck Selling!

Where's the Foot in Mouth emoji!  (Was Absolutely Positively 20% until May 2017!!)

Message 14 of 38
latest reply

@sodelight wrote:

@goodluckselling wrote:

Good Luck Selling!

Where's the Foot in Mouth emoji!  (Was Absolutely Positively 20% until May 2017!!)

With so many ebay changes, up down in out sideways, you've almost got to forgive anybody without a mention for the confusion.

We're all just rolling with the punches here.

Message 15 of 38
latest reply