cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is a good charity to donate to for those affected by the hurricane?

I'd like to list a few items with 100% of the sale going to a charity for those affected by Hurricane Harvey in Texas.  I wanted to know if anyone knows of a reputable charity where the money will go to those directly affected.

Thank you in advance......

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

@jerzee908

American Red Cross.  You can also check out this site, which may help you make a decision:

https://www.charitynavigator.org/

If you choose the tab at the top that says "Hot Topics," you can then select Hurricane Harvey, and it will make some suggestions.

“It took me quite a long time to develop a voice, and now that I have it, I am not going to be silent” ― Madeleine K. Albright

Great! 45.8% down over the same time last year with 2x+ items listed. Are you impressed? I'm certainly not!
Message 2 of 11
latest reply

Red Cross and Salvation Army are the two that usually do the most for disaster areas........not that others aren't doing stuff well, just that those 2 are capable of responding in a bigger fashion.......because of the donations they receive.....

Personally, I give to Salvation Army because I like the way they are "structured"....

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

J.J. Watt, football player for the Houston Texans, has a HUGE Harvey relief fund going on right now.  He is raising a ton of money and seems to be doing things right.

You can learn about it here:

http://jjwfoundation.org

http://www.cnn.com/2017/09/01/us/jj-watt-hurricane-harvey-anderson-cooper-cnntv/index.html

Happy 2018! May this upcoming year be a prosperous one!
Message 4 of 11
latest reply

I like Pastor Graham's (son of Billy Graham) samaritanspurse.org.  He says he will have 1000 different volunteers there over a 2 year period to help those flooded clean house, tear down sheetrock, put up sheetrock - whatever needs to be done to get them back home.  He will begin as soon as they can get into neighborhoods.  Best!

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

So many charities have a huge administrative cost, some on the boards make $600, 000.!  You need to be so very careful.  I always stick with Salvation Army.

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

@jerzee908 wrote:

I'd like to list a few items with 100% of the sale going to a charity for those affected by Hurricane Harvey in Texas.  I wanted to know if anyone knows of a reputable charity where the money will go to those directly affected.

Thank you in advance......

Try to avoid giving anything to one with the name Clinton in it.Smiley Wink

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

@klassic*kids wrote:

J.J. Watt, football player for the Houston Texans, has a HUGE Harvey relief fund going on right now.  He is raising a ton of money and seems to be doing things right.

You can learn about it here:

http://jjwfoundation.org

http://www.cnn.com/2017/09/01/us/jj-watt-hurricane-harvey-anderson-cooper-cnntv/index.html

If I was going to shell out money, I would give to JJ Watt's relief fund.  His speech while they were distributing truckloads of supplies, about studying the successes and failures of the donations for Katrina victims shows that he wants to do this right.  He doesn't need the money or the fame boost for doing good AND he has a solid tie to the area.

(*Bleep*)
Message 8 of 11
latest reply

I listed an auction on eBay for his fund, but obviously did not set it up right since they removed it. I don't see his charity listed THRU eBay for Charity when I try to follow the procedure. So what do I do to tie it to his particular fundraiser? I also am leery of the Red Cross and their salaries, etc.  Maybe Salvation Army if I cannot use his. I wanted to donate to his fundraiser. It looks like maybe you'd have to have written consent and more to not use eBay for Charity.

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

If nothing else I will use OneStar Foundation - REBUILD TEXAS FUND. Just saw a listing and read up on them. They are available thru eBay. Sounds like they are doing it right. I'll probably relist tomorrow for 10 days so it will end on a Sunday.

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

@haze54 wrote:

I listed an auction on eBay for his fund, but obviously did not set it up right since they removed it. I don't see his charity listed THRU eBay for Charity when I try to follow the procedure. So what do I do to tie it to his particular fundraiser? I also am leery of the Red Cross and their salaries, etc.  Maybe Salvation Army if I cannot use his. I wanted to donate to his fundraiser. It looks like maybe you'd have to have written consent and more to not use eBay for Charity.

Why not just take the money frm the sale and donate it yourself to whoever and leave ebay/PP out of it?

Amazon has a wish list of things you can purchase and send direct to Texas so it gets to the shelters. I always use the 'smile.' preceeding the url because they also donate to Wounded Warriers.