cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Resending item to a buyer because of wrong address which she put in. She still wants it.

My buyer had a number wrong in her address and USPS returned the item to me.  She had messaged and told me she inadvertantly had put her address in wrong and would still like the item and would pay for the shipping again.  How can I collect the shipping cost from her now?

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Re: Resending item to a buyer because of wrong address which she put in. She still wants it.

A few ways:

List the item again and then refund her the difference (tell them the 12 digit number to buy immediately; list it as 'buy it now' with 'immediate payment required)

or give her your paypal account name and have here send it (if you both have PP)

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

Re: Resending item to a buyer because of wrong address which she put in. She still wants it.

First you should know that eBay will not require you to refund a single penny when the buyer gave your/eBay an Undeliverable address.

So, do as @stainlessenginecovers  says, but first remind them to correct their address with eBay.
I might consider making the deal as no refund on the original sale, BUT, the new price is the cost of shipping plus return shipping.
EG -the item cost $10shipping was $5. You refund nothing.  The new listing is priced at $10 +Free Shipping.
And when I make  "private listing "like this, which I've done maybe ten times in over 25 years, I use the buyer's name as the title, so it doesn't get scooped up by someone entirely different.

And again, you don't technically owe anything.
Message 3 of 7
latest reply

@reallynicestamps Can you still do Private Listings? I didn't think that was an option anymore?? 

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

Could you ever?

My system has been to use the customer's name as the title, since there were rumoured to be members who would bid on listings with"private listing" in the title for giggles.

Seemed unlikely at the time, but Search does pull words out of Descriptions, so it might have actually happened once.

My theory being, noone is likely to Search titles listings "femmefan1946".

The buyer is also given the listing number, but I'm not sure that's easier to find.

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

Yes, years ago you could create a listing that only the buyers you named could purchase.

Another option in these situations is to list the item intended for a specific person at an outrageous price with the best offer option. So list the $15 item for $100 and tell the person you'll accept their $15 offer.

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

This is what I do when someone wants something particular. We work out the deal in messaging and I create a listing with an outrageous price and their name in the title, then accept their offer.

You can do the same thing for shipping, list something special to them, what I have done is made the description something like "as we discussed" and price it so it covers the shipping and the fees. Then mail their original item to them after they pay.

Message 7 of 7
latest reply