cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Required Postage Not Enough To Cover Purchase

I recently had someone purchase 4 items (all the same).

Each item was $12.59. Shipping cost to them per item was $24.45.

This listing has been on for sometime and I never had a problem before.

When I saw they paid $28.80 total shipping was confusing.

I do not offer combine shipping.

So I thought,I can not ship this for this price.

I went to cancel the transaction and what would pop up as a photo of the purchase was a set of shock absorbers. What is this? What's going on here?

After I canceled the order the picture went back to the original listing photo.

Can someone explain this to me?

Message 1 of 19
latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

Re: Required Postage Not Enough To Cover Purchase

Some important details would help us understand what you are saying. Like, what is the item or listing you sold and are talking about? For all we know, it was in fact a set of shock absorbers. 

Message 2 of 19
latest reply

I sold 4 sets of glass Christmas trees.(3 in each set)  Each box was 17x13 x9" and weighed about 3 lbs. I do not sell any type of automotive items. Hope this was helpful.

Message 3 of 19
latest reply

From some of the things I've seen lately dealing with eBay search perhaps their AI thought your 

White Beaded Glass Christmas Trees by Valerie Parr 10 12 & 14" was indeed shock absorbers. 

I've had a saved search for more than 20 years. Suddenly a month or so ago my email notifications suddenly started sending me listings for Taylor Swift. I first thought a seller was keyword spamming  but know, its many sellers of Taylor Swift. Since there are many Taylor Swift items out there, it rendered my 20 year saved search useless and Ive turned off notifications on it. I know I could modify it but I'm already trying to cut back on buying from eBay so I'm just putting it on hold for now.

Anyhow, eBay's site has been wonky, horribly so, so hopefully that shock absorber thing was a one off glitch. But don't count on it. 
Message 4 of 19
latest reply

@patches.920 wrote:

When I went to this listing as it is currently listed, it offers combined shipping. 

If I get the shipping rate for 1 item it is $19.30 and if I get it for 4 items it is $22.20.  

https://www.ebay.com/itm/176134760788?hash=item2902732954%3Ag%3Az3kAAOSwZYFkazeO

Message 5 of 19
latest reply

@patches.920 wrote:

I sold 4 sets of glass Christmas trees.(3 in each set)  Each box was 17x13 x9" and weighed about 3 lbs. I do not sell any type of automotive items. Hope this was helpful.

The ship cost I'm seeing for 1 item is the rate for an 11 lb (dimensional weight based on box size) Ground Adv package. The ship cost I'm seeing for 4 items is for a 14 lb Ground Adv package.

If you do not want combined ship rules applied, then you need to disable that setting.

As for the car parts, that's an entirely separate issue. See more here:

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/This-one-I-ve-never-seen-before/m-p/34185832

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/Bogner-Winter-Jacke-TEAM-Germany-quot-neuwertig-quot-blau-Gr%C...

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 6 of 19
latest reply

If it's the same ones you just relisted I looked and it would charge me $18.05 for all 4 sets to be shipped to me.

Message 7 of 19
latest reply

Your current listing offers combined shipping

It is 1 set for $16.30 shipping or all 4 sets for $18.05 to me.

Message 8 of 19
latest reply

Yes, you have to ship at whatever price you put up no matter what. It is you own setting that caused the shipping paid. The buyer is not going to be happy and will probably leave you negative feedback. We have all lost money on shipping because of miscalculating the cost to ship an item, but we still ship it anyway and take the loss. 

Message 9 of 19
latest reply

I checked my settings and I do not have combined shipping. Site Preferences(Shipping Preference)

What am I missing?

Am I looking in the wrong place?

Message 10 of 19
latest reply

FWIW, when I check shipping on that listing, I get $19.30 for 1, 2 or 3 items but if I purchase 4, the price shows as $22.20.

1.png2.png3.png4.png

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 11 of 19
latest reply

@aproudparent2010 wrote:

Your current listing offers combined shipping

It is 1 set for $16.30 shipping or all 4 sets for $18.05 to me.

Same here.

Message 12 of 19
latest reply

I 'think' the general preferences settings are for combining different items/listings (not multiple items in the same listing)

the occurrences depicted here are adjusted/edited on each individual listing in the Shipping Section.

Message 13 of 19
latest reply

Hi @patches.920   Comments in red.

@patches.920 wrote:

I recently had someone purchase 4 items (all the same).

Each item was $12.59. Shipping cost to them per item was $24.45.

This listing has been on for sometime and I never had a problem before.

I do not offer combine shipping.  This is the real issue, it is your  mistake.  Set up your Combinded shipping on your Shipping preferences page here: Shipping Preferences (ebay.com)

Mine is set to ADD all shipping costs and I then Refund the overage to my customers unless an invoice applies, then I adjust the shipping cost and send the invoice for payment.  Have NEVER been shorted on paid shipping from my customers.

So I thought,I can not ship this for this price.  You have to eat the cost of the mistake

I went to cancel the transaction and what would pop up as a photo of the purchase was a set of shock absorbers. What is this? What's going on here?

After I canceled the order the picture went back to the original listing photo.  Regardless of the images that appeared (not the ceramic Christmas trees) cancelling means you got strikes on your account for Out of stock ... unless you used one of the other two reasons on the cancellation flow.  

Can someone explain this to me?  No but I can say that when I do Sold search research and click on a Sold item to open it I often get a live listing for sale that opens instead ... not sure why.

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 14 of 19
latest reply

@mr_lincoln wrote:

Can someone explain this to me?  No but I can say that when I do Sold search research and click on a Sold item to open it I often get a live listing for sale that opens instead ... not sure why.

Have you noticed on your sold research the link to the "original listing".

Ebay presents a "current page" based on the title if there is an identical item listed to try and close a sale. If you are not interested, there is that link in the top right.......

!ebay-original-listing.jpg

in this case, I was researching a "Sold Item" from a post here

Leadsinger Karaoke Microphone Ls-3700w With 4 Songs Chips

and this current page came up with the "Original Listing" link....

Message 15 of 19
latest reply