cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Warning: Retail Arbitrage Credit Card Fraud

*This Is A Posting ID*

We are a large, multi-channel business that sells on eBay, Amazon and direct websites.  Our direct sites have seen a huge increase in credit card chargebacks in the last month and a half.  While investigating this situation, we have discovered a fraud ring operating on eBay that appears to be massive in its scope and sophistication.

This fraud ring lists items for sale on eBay, then when they make a sale, they place the order on one of our direct sites to ship to their buyer.  It’s pretty basic retail arbitrage, but they are using stolen credit cards to do it.  We have identified more than 800 orders, totaling over $40k in sales that we believe are part of this fraud.

So far, we have discovered 17 selling accounts engaging in this fraud.  All of them have been reported to eBay.  After two weeks of back and forth with eBay support via email, they have finally shut down 13 of the 17 accounts.  Of the 4 accounts that are still operating, one even has a neutral feedback that says ‘Sent with someone else’s CC # at double the price I paid. Said “No worry”’ . We brought that feedback to eBay’s attention in the report, but they still have not shut that account down yet.

We wanted to bring this to the attention of other sellers, both to see if anyone else has experienced this and to warn others to keep an eye out for this kind of suspicious activity. We don’t want to give out too many details publicly at this time, but a few things to look out for are:

Single item orders – On our direct sites we usually have some kind of free shipping or free gift over $X promotion running, so people typically buy multiple items to get to that minimum.  We do get single item orders that are legitimate, but 20-30+ orders for the same single item in a short amount of time is not typical for us and would be a possible red flag. 

Different bill to and ship to addresses – Again, we do get legitimate orders that have different bill to and ship to addresses, so different addresses doesn’t automatically mean they are fraud,  but we are seeing far more than usual in the last month or so.  The fraudsters seem to have the correct billing info because it does match the address and CVV checks.  Once they verify that a card will go through, they use that same card repeatedly, so look out for same billing name/address being used repeatedly with different ship to addresses.

I would guess the fraudsters probably target larger multichannel sellers like us because they know at the volume at which we operate, order processing and fulfillment is more likely to be automated and fraud is less likely to be noticed than a mom and pop where only 1 or 2 people manually handle all aspects of every single order.

If you suspect this fraud is happening to you, here are a few things we have found in common among the fraud sellers.

Low Price – They don’t care if the price on our site is higher than what they sell it for because they aren’t paying for it.  All they care about is getting a high volume in sales, so typically they will undercut the average price by at least a few dollars, sometimes as much as half the regular retail price.

Title & Description – Titles, descriptions and just general style of the listings across all of these sellers have a lot in common.

Handling Time – So far they have all had extended handling times. 

Returns – So far they have all had “seller does not accept returns” 

Items currently for sale and past items sold – they typically have less than 10 active listings at any one time that they cycle through.  Their feedback history shows a pattern of listing products in one category for a while and then, presumably when someone catches on and starts canceling their orders, they shift to a different category. They are not focused on just one category or type of product, they are just looking for hot sellers, so every category is a possible target.  We are definitely not their only victim.

Sold History– if the suspected fraud listing for that item has sales within 24 hours of you receiving orders for that item, it’s possible they are using you to fulfill those sales. 

Unfortunately, feedback isn’t very helpful in IDing them.  Most of them are 98% or above with very few negatives.  Either they get negatives removed, or just as likely is that the eBay buyer simply has no reason to complain.  They order an item at a great price and most of the time that correct item shows up on their doorstep in a few days.  They may not even look at the company name on the invoice or even if they do, they may not care or realize what is going on.  They got what they ordered and are none the wiser as far as the fraud aspect of this is concerned. 

Message 1 of 104
latest reply
103 REPLIES 103

FBI Internet Crimes IC3

https://www.ic3.gov/default.aspx 

Message 2 of 104
latest reply

We have also just today discovered a couple of listings that fit the MO of this fraud, but the seller does not.  It is our suspicion this seller may have had their account compromised and doesn't realize there are a few fraud listings mixed in with their regular listings.

This seller appears to be a long time seller with almost 700 listings in the clothing/accessories categories, which their history shows is the main category they have historically sold in.  All of their clothing and accessories listings have flat rate shipping, 30 day returns, and use a custom listing template with the store name and branding.

The listing we have identified as possibly part of this fraud does not fit with the seller's other listings.  It is in a completely unrelated category that seller has never sold in before, free shipping, no returns, and does not use that seller's custom template or branding.

We believe it is possible that there is something going on here similar to the massive fraud reported on eBay UK last year.

Message 3 of 104
latest reply

@eunster1313 wrote:

FBI Internet Crimes IC3

https://www.ic3.gov/default.aspx 

Thank you, we filed one of those two weeks ago.

Message 4 of 104
latest reply

So why not use "ask the seller a question" to open a line of communication?  You could ask them about the item and see if it's really not something they listed?  Unless you're thinking that question would now go to the fraudster?

But if the seller is still shipping items from their normal stock, they must still somehow have access to the account, right?

It must be a daunting task, but I am disappointed that more isn't done to combat fraud of all types, including internet/cc fraud.  And the ones that scam old folks out of their savings should be ...

Message 5 of 104
latest reply

@dk0 wrote:

So why not use "ask the seller a question" to open a line of communication?  You could ask them about the item and see if it's really not something they listed?  Unless you're thinking that question would now go to the fraudster?

But if the seller is still shipping items from their normal stock, they must still somehow have access to the account, right?

It must be a daunting task, but I am disappointed that more isn't done to combat fraud of all types, including internet/cc fraud.  And the ones that scam old folks out of their savings should be ...

I sent them a message earlier today and did get a response that I suspect could be the fraudster.  This particular account I am not 100% sure if it is part of this fraud or not.  The other 17 accounts are confirmed to be, but this one is a little different so I'm not sure yet.  The item we think is fraud is newly listed with no sales yet, so we've flagged it and will be keeping an eye out on orders we get for that item to see if it matches up.

Message 6 of 104
latest reply

I guess another option would be to bring it to eBay's attention (not clear on whether or not you have done that on this one), and ask them to see if the contact info has recently been changed.  If not, it's probably legit, but if so, it deserves further scrutiny. 

Message 7 of 104
latest reply

@dk0 wrote:

I guess another option would be to bring it to eBay's attention (not clear on whether or not you have done that on this one), and ask them to see if the contact info has recently been changed.  If not, it's probably legit, but if so, it deserves further scrutiny. 

Thanks, I reported this one to eBay as well but with only email support available it has been taking them a day or two to respond, so I haven't heard anything back yet.

Message 8 of 104
latest reply

Where is Paypal in the mix?  They are authorizing shipment based on a stolen credit card..... and doesn't that make them responsible? 

There were quite a number of these years ago, mainly on Pet supply companies on the internet.

Message 9 of 104
latest reply

@dhbookds wrote:

Where is Paypal in the mix?  They are authorizing shipment based on a stolen credit card..... and doesn't that make them responsible? 

There were quite a number of these years ago, mainly on Pet supply companies on the internet.

Based on what we have discovered, I don't believe PayPal is in the mix at all.

There are two transactions here - one between an eBay buyer and seller and one on our direct website using a stolen credit card.

The transaction on eBay appears to be legit to everyone involved, including eBay and PayPal.  Buyer pays with a legit PayPal account, that goes to the fraudsters PayPal account (or possibly a compromised PayPal account they control, we don't have any info/visibility on that side of the transaction).  The fraud seller than uploads a tracking number, the buyer gets what they ordered a few days later and may not notice or care that the packing slip has a different company's name on it.  Either way the entire eBay transaction appears to be "clean" and doesn't raise any suspicions.

The fraud is occurring when they drop ship the order from a direct retail website.  That is where they are using the stolen credit cards.  It's not just us they are doing this too either, as indicated in the feedback received by some of those sellers, they list hot items for sale on eBay and then when they sell, they turn around and "drop ship" from a retail website and they use someone's else stolen credit card to pay for it.

It took a few weeks for the wave of chargebacks to start hitting, so a lot of orders shipped before we found out what was going on.  The only way we discovered the eBay connection was the fraudsters accidentally ordered an incorrect item to "drop ship" on an order and that customer called us to complain about the mistake because our name is on the packing slip.  Once we talked through the whole situation with him and had him confirm the seller name on eBay he purchased from, we put two and two together and realized where the credit card fraud was coming from.  We've dug into it more from there and it has lead down a rabbit hole of massive fraud.

Message 10 of 104
latest reply

@valueaddedresource wrote:

@dhbookds wrote:

Based on what we have discovered, I don't believe PayPal is in the mix at all.

There are two transactions here - one between an eBay buyer and seller and one on our direct website using a stolen credit card.

The transaction on eBay appears to be legit to everyone involved, including eBay and PayPal.  Buyer pays with a legit PayPal account, that goes to the fraudsters PayPal account (or possibly a compromised PayPal account they control, we don't have any info/visibility on that side of the transaction).  The fraud seller than uploads a tracking number, the buyer gets what they ordered a few days later and may not notice or care that the packing slip has a different company's name on it.  Either way the entire eBay transaction appears to be "clean" and doesn't raise any suspicions.

The fraud is occurring when they drop ship the order from a direct retail website.  That is where they are using the stolen credit cards.  It's not just us they are doing this too either, as indicated in the feedback received by some of those sellers, they list hot items for sale on eBay and then when they sell, they turn around and "drop ship" from a retail website and they use someone's else stolen credit card to pay for it.

It took a few weeks for the wave of chargebacks to start hitting, so a lot of orders shipped before we found out what was going on.  The only way we discovered the eBay connection was the fraudsters accidentally ordered an incorrect item to "drop ship" on an order and that customer called us to complain about the mistake because our name is on the packing slip.  Once we talked through the whole situation with him and had him confirm the seller name on eBay he purchased from, we put two and two together and realized where the credit card fraud was coming from.  We've dug into it more from there and it has lead down a rabbit hole of massive fraud.

Gotcha.......I always did have trouble "thinking the scam thru"......  hope you get them "all"........

Message 11 of 104
latest reply

I should also add that based on the feedback history, all 17 of the accounts we have confirmed are part of this have listings going back at least 6 months - 1 year that fit this MO.  The one neutral feedback I mentioned in my initial post was from 6 months ago and it was a different item/category than what we sell.

It appears the fraudsters picked up on products in our particular category starting around mid-February.  I am very confident based on the info we have that this particular scam has been going on for a while and has targeted multiple online retail sites across multiple categories.

Message 12 of 104
latest reply

There may be some help in reporting this to the attorney general in your state and in CA, which is ebay's US HQ.

The US Dept of Justice is actively investigating similar cases.

Does this activity tie back to the guy in Indiana who was caught in a multi-million dollar PayPal and cc scam? That individual had thousands of cc numbers and millions of dollars in fraudulently acquired merchandise. It was also proven that he had already sent millions $$ to Viet Nam. 

There's a special task force in place through the DOJ and that might be the avenue to pursue.  JMHO

It's obvious there are some big problems here.

Message 13 of 104
latest reply

@picknparley wrote:

There may be some help in reporting this to the attorney general in your state and in CA, which is ebay's US HQ.

The US Dept of Justice is actively investigating similar cases.

Does this activity tie back to the guy in Indiana who was caught in a multi-million dollar PayPal and cc scam? That individual had thousands of cc numbers and millions of dollars in fraudulently acquired merchandise. It was also proven that he had already sent millions $$ to Viet Nam. 

There's a special task force in place through the DOJ and that might be the avenue to pursue.  JMHO

It's obvious there are some big problems here.

Thanks @picknparley , I'll look into the DOJ angle as well.  So far we haven't gotten a response on the IC3, but we're open to pursuing this any way that might get some traction and get it shut down.

They are very slick in how they are doing this - the stolen credit cards have addresses from all over the country, so it's not concentrated to just one area, and the shipping address is an unsuspecting eBay buyer, but nothing we have actually leads back to any real info on the perpetrator of the fraud.

All 17 of those accounts show a different "item location" on their listings.  The IP addresses captured from the orders being placed on our site are from different locations too, which is not surprising since a fraud ring this sophisticated would certainly be aware of how to use technology to avoid detection.

Message 14 of 104
latest reply

Have you submitted anything to the attorney general? I just think the more departments that know about this the better the chance that something will be done. 

My biggest pet peeve these days is the huge number of overseas scammers that have literally over run our online economy. It's gotten so bad that American citizens can't make safe purchases, and now can't purchase what they need.  This is all because of an insanely poor system that can't be updated to allow ebay security to identify and stop it.

Congrats and kudos to you for pursuing the shut down of at least most of the fraudulent accounts you discovered. I think with the size of your business that you have the ability to be heard. Good luck. Thanks, and keep it up! 

Message 15 of 104
latest reply