cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Projected Delivery Dates

This morning, I happened to look at one of my listings, and noticed a projected delivery date of June 11th-15th. I figured it was a glitch, and then noticed it on all my listings. I have 5 day handling, usually ship in 1-2 days, and ship either 1st class or Priority. I would say, on average, my packages arrive in 5-7 days, from date of sale. 

I called CS, and explained the issue. I was asked if I wanted to be in on the Guaranteed Delivery Program. Asking for more specifics than I read in the last update, I was informed I'd have to shorten my handling time to 1-2 days, which is a pressure I don't want or need. 

When I asked why my projected Delivery Dates were over a month out, explaining that it was 1-ridiculous and 2-detrimental to my sales, I was told that this is the delivery projection that will now be given on ALL listings, as of May, that are not part of guaranteed delivery. I was told that the "actual" projected date will change, once a purchase is made, and they will estimate based on the buyers zip code. My response was something to the effect of "They are not going to buy based on those kinds of dates, so they will never SEE the real date". Has anyone else noticed a change in their estimated deliveries? This seems crazy, no?

Message 1 of 47
latest reply
46 REPLIES 46

Re: Projected Delivery Dates

@cascarole wrote:

This morning, I happened to look at one of my listings, and noticed a projected delivery date of June 11th-15th. I figured it was a glitch, and then noticed it on all my listings. I have 5 day handling, usually ship in 1-2 days, and ship either 1st class or Priority. I would say, on average, my packages arrive in 5-7 days, from date of sale. 

I called CS, and explained the issue. I was asked if I wanted to be in on the Guaranteed Delivery Program. Asking for more specifics than I read in the last update, I was informed I'd have to shorten my handling time to 1-2 days, which is a pressure I don't want or need. 

When I asked why my projected Delivery Dates were over a month out, explaining that it was 1-ridiculous and 2-detrimental to my sales, I was told that this is the delivery projection that will now be given on ALL listings, as of May, that are not part of guaranteed delivery. I was told that the "actual" projected date will change, once a purchase is made, and they will estimate based on the buyers zip code. My response was something to the effect of "They are not going to buy based on those kinds of dates, so they will never SEE the real date". Has anyone else noticed a change in their estimated deliveries? This seems crazy, no?

@Anonymous brian@ebay  Is this accurate?  If we don't enroll in GD our delivery dates will be pushed out to over 30 days?????  

Member of the Grumpy Old Man crew
Message 2 of 47
latest reply

I would change one item to handling of 1/2 days and see if that changes the projection.

I've spot checked a few from othe sellers that aren't guaranteed delivery to me and they aren't showing a month delivery estimate, so  I would guess it's the handling time.......

Message 3 of 47
latest reply

If that is true, it is indeed ridiculous.

But how is it possible your items arrive "within 5-7" day of sale with a 5 day handling time and it takes you 2 days to mail it out? That in and of itself is 7 days not even including the ship time...

It seems sill to me to have a 5 day handling time if you always shp within 1-2 days anyway. You might want to consider changing your handling time to a max of 3 days to give yourself a buffer day and see if that helps.

Message 4 of 47
latest reply

I've noticed this in the past.   I was offering 3 day handling and my listings were STILL showing 4 day delivery.   The only way I was able to get reasonable delivery estimates to show was to call eBay and ask to be opted out of Fast N Free/GD.  Now with a 2-day handling time, if someone purchased an item today , May 6th, delivery is estimated between Wednesday May 9th - May 16th.    Much better.   And my buyers are still buying!  Since the change, I have stopped receiving several "where's my stuff" messages after 4 business days and unnecessary INR cases.    I'd glady offer priority flat rate EXPRESS for $24.70, but in over 4 years of selling, only ONE buyer was willing to pay for that service.   

previously known as boardnpostsid
Message 5 of 47
latest reply

Thanks all, so far~

To clarify, I normally in ship 1-2 days, even though I have 5 day handling, that's why my deliveries are "early". I am keeping my handling at 5 days right now, because I moved, and for now, depend on other people to get to my nearest Post Office  which is not a walkable distance. I uses to live in  NYC, and had no car or reason to drive. My carrier here will pick up my outgoing mail, if it fits in my mailbox (apartment complex) but unfortunately, it fits nothing taller than 2" or so, so if my shortest dimension is larger than that, it can't be left.

By the way,  I requested a written response to my inquiry from CS and will post it here. Itmight be easier to help me "translate" by reading it. Thanks!

Message 6 of 47
latest reply

This was the written reply. Note that it says my estimate of 30 days will not change unless I am enrolled in EGD. 

Re Estimated Delivery Times

Hello C***** (asterisks mine)   

In regards to your inquiry about the estimated delivery times, eBay has rolled out a new options for sellers called eBay Guaranteed Delivery. I have attached this link for you to review:

ebay.com/GuaranteedDelivery  

Once enrolled, you will not have those 30-day estimated delivery links.   As of now, your listings do show your handling time and does allow the buyer to see the actual delivery date estimation once they select an item.

The current displayed date is part of the new update and cannot be removed unless you are enrolled in EGD.  I have registered for you to get notification once you are eligible so that you may sign up if you like.   I hope this information was helpful. Thanks, eBay

[THREAD ID: 1-157744051499]

Message 7 of 47
latest reply

Hi! Thank you, I changed my listings to 3 day handling, and the eta adjusted. By the way, is there a way to change the handling date in bulk without changing shipping costs? (I couldn't find it)
Also, is there a way to edit unsold listings without (before)relisting them?
Thanks for your help!!!
Message 8 of 47
latest reply

@cascarole wrote:
Hi! Thank you, I changed my listings to 3 day handling, and the eta adjusted. By the way, is there a way to change the handling date in bulk without changing shipping costs? (I couldn't find it)
Also, is there a way to edit unsold listings without (before)relisting them?
Thanks for your help!!!

I used to have 1 day handling, and never had any issues for years, then all of a sudden, I get two late scan dings or something in a month. So I changed to 2 day handling, and haven't had a problem since. I will mail out the next day if I get a sale, and same day if it's early enough to do so.  I think I also set what time is the cut off for the "day". I made it like 4 pm on the east coast, which makes it pretty early on the West Coast, so if someone buys after 4 pm on the east coast, regardless of where they are, my "days" have slightly more time (I think, please someone correct me if I misinterpreted what I did).

And you can edit unsold listings, choose "sell similiar"  and save them as a draft for relisting at a later time. But I think they expire after 30 days, and some have reported they just disappear early. When I do this, it usually creates more than one draft, but not always,  and I haven't figured out the pattern that makes that happen yet, but I'll end up having to delete 5 of 6 drafts that saved. It's not the smoothest way I guess, but it can be done. You'll still have the old listing in unsolds too.

Message 9 of 47
latest reply

@cascarole

If you select a number of listings at once to edit, it will take you to the bulk editor and you can change handling time from the edit dropdown there. I suggest only doing 50 or so at a time as it seems to stall when doing more than that at once.

I just checked one of my 2 day handling items from a FL zip and even with PM it's showing ETA of May 18th.......really eBay? Even with 2 day handling for PM that's ridiculous.

So this is how they're planning to get everyone forced into their precious GD scheme is it?

Crusader Cat is watching

Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself. - L Tolstoy

"You are entitled to your own opinion, you are not however, entitled to your own facts."

Message 10 of 47
latest reply

@flyinhawaiiangirl wrote:

I used to have 1 day handling, and never had any issues for years, then all of a sudden, I get two late scan dings or something in a month. So I changed to 2 day handling, and haven't had a problem since. I will mail out the next day if I get a sale, and same day if it's early enough to do so.  I think I also set what time is the cut off for the "day". I made it like 4 pm on the east coast, which makes it pretty early on the West Coast, so if someone buys after 4 pm on the east coast, regardless of where they are, my "days" have slightly more time (I think, please someone correct me if I misinterpreted what I did).

That cut off time is only relevant if you offer same day shipping.  One day handling means that an item purchased before midnight pacific time should be scanned before midnight PT the following business day.  2 day handling gives you an extra day but but it is still based  on a cut off time  of midnight PT.

Message 11 of 47
latest reply

@ymeagainlord wrote:
@cascarole

If you select a number of listings at once to edit, it will take you to the bulk editor and you can change handling time from the edit dropdown there. I suggest only doing 50 or so at a time as it seems to stall when doing more than that at once.

I just checked one of my 2 day handling items from a FL zip and even with PM it's showing ETA of May 18th.......really eBay? Even with 2 day handling for PM that's ridiculous.

So this is how they're planning to get everyone forced into their precious GD scheme is it?

It would certainly appear that way wouldn't it? Ugh how infuriating. Smiley Mad

Message 12 of 47
latest reply

In one of my other stores with 800 listings, I have GD-handling time, and if a prospective buyer goes to the category my listings are in and ticks the 3-day guaranteed delivery button, my 800 listings show up and none of the other 12000 or so listings do.  I like it.  If a delivery is late, eBay handles it. (This year even if I ship late.)  I've been in GD for several months and my sales are up about 20% during this time.  No complaints here.

List more, sell more. Goodwill that other, uh, stuff.

Feeling sleepy? There's an app for that.
Message 13 of 47
latest reply

alan@ebay

Could you confirm/dispel the CS explanation? 

Message 14 of 47
latest reply

tyler@ebay  ping.

Member of the Grumpy Old Man crew
Message 15 of 47
latest reply